Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council of Europe report confirms CIA jails in Europe.

Options
  • 08-06-2007 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

On the BBC News web site there's an article about a report confirming secret CIA jails in Europe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6733353.stm An investigator for the Council of Europe, Dick Marty, says these secret CIA prisons existed in Europe from 2003 to 2005, in particular in Poland and Romania. It's part of his wider investigation into the CIA's "extraordinary renditions", the process under which terror suspects were transported around the world for interrogation.

There's more details on the issue on the Council of Europes own web site: http://www.coe.int/DEFAULT.ASP?

On their site there's a quick and easy to follow graphic showing how the flights were disguised so that their actual movements would not be tracked or recorded: http://assembly.coe.int/CommitteeDocs/2007/EMarty_20070608_Appendix-1_Low_Res.jpg The graphic depicts Shannon as part of the Global Spiders Web, the system of secret detentions and detainee transfers around the world by the US Government and it's allies.

The full report in pdf format: http://assembly.coe.int/CommitteeDocs/2007/EMarty_20070608_Appendix-3.pdf

In my opinion it's immoral and disgraceful that an airport in this country is involved in the potential violation of the human rights of these prisoners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Luckily for the US, her allies, and her apoloigists, the gripping story of Paris Hilton has been dominating Sky and Fox "News" channels today.

So not much space in their schedules for this:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0608/rendition.html
    EU report highlights secret CIA prisons

Friday, 8 June 2007 16:13

The European Commission has called on EU member states accused of hosting secret CIA prisons for terrorism suspects to hold urgent, independent investigations and ensure victims are compensated.

A Council of Europe report has claimed that Poland and Romania hosted secret US detention centres in the period 2003 to 2005.

A commission spokesman said so-called 'extraordinary rendition' was illegal under EU law and harmed the fight against terrorism.

AdvertisementEarlier this year, the European parliament called for a Dáil inquiry into the CIA's alleged use of Irish territory for rendition flights.

Its report showed that many of the 147 stopovers made by CIA-operated aircraft at Irish airports came from or were headed to countries linked with extraordinary rendition.

When asked about the allegations late last year, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said he had direct assurances from US President George W Bush that no terror suspects were on those flights.

'I looked at the great President Bush and I said to him, you know, 'I want to be sure to be sure' and he assured me' said the Taoiseach.

Milan trial for US Secret Service agents

Meanwhile, the first criminal 'extraordinary rendition' trial has opened in Italy.

26 US Secret Service agents and six Italians are accused of kidnapping a Muslim cleric called Abu Omar in Milan four years ago and transporting him against his will to Egypt.

A former head of Italy's military intelligence is among those on trial.

The hearing is the first regarding Washington's rendition policy in which terror suspects have been transferred to countries known to practice torture.

However, the US citizens will all be tried in absentia, as Washington authorities have refused to co-operate with Italian investigators.

The case is among several issues which have put a strain on relations between the two countries.

Tut, tut, America refusing to hand over terrrorists who engaged in torture and kidnapping.

Long live the War of Terror. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Rather interesting that we the "West" and our fearless leader (the US) are always talking about our values and human rights, war crimes etc. Of course we seem to have no problem ignoring these when it convenient to us. Either when we commit them ourselves or when an ally does (of course if they cross us or there usefulness ends they get hammered). I seem to remember that crimes against humanity should be universally punished regardless of who committed them. I taught this was one of the main lessons from WW2.

Now we have an example of flagrant abuse of Human rights committed by the self proclaimed "good guys". I am not fan of terrorists and if they are convicted, I have no issues with them being thrown in a hole for the rest of there days or executed. However, they should get a fair trial. After all this is one of the values we claims to care about. Not sure how true that is or ever was for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Predictably the CIA has dismissed the Council of Europe report. Quote: "A CIA spokesman said the report was biased and distorted, and that the agency had operated lawfully": http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6736385.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

wes wrote:
    I taught this was one of the main lessons from WW2.

The main lesson from WWII was that the victors/powerful get to decide what is "right" and what is "wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

wes wrote:
    I seem to remember that crimes against humanity should be universally punished regardless of who committed them. I taught this was one of the main lessons from WW2.

The lesson of WW2 is that crimes against humanity committed by the vanquished will not be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Zebra3 wrote:
    The main lesson from WWII was that the victors/powerful get to decide what is "right" and what is "wrong".
    bonkey wrote:
    The lesson of WW2 is that crimes against humanity committed by the vanquished will not be tolerated.

Sadly your both right. What was said about crimes against humanity was just window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

The report says: "....the highest state authorities were aware of the CIA's illegal activities on their territories" It has been said European governments are turning a blind eye to these activities, both in their own countries and in other European states. That phrase worries me. Although they were fully aware of what was going on, turning a blind eye is what many European governments did while the Nazi government in Germany persecuted the Jewish people. Whilst what's happening now is not on the same scale, the laissez-faire attitude of European governments including Ireland, in the face of gross abuses of human rights is exactly the same.

Advertisement