Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have i ****ed up my career ??

Options
  • 08-06-2007 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

ok i do six subjects but failed irish ?? does this mean I cant go 2 DCU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

How do you know that you have failed?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

believe me , I know !! i fuked up tape and wrote barely anything for paper 2 today

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Leaving Certificate (Ireland)

General Entry Requirements

Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in four Ordinary or Higher
    Level subjects including:
    Mathematics AND English or Irish

This is from DCU, so no, you have not fecked up your career.

sternn wrote:
    Leaving Certificate (Ireland)

General Entry Requirements

Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in four Ordinary or Higher
    Level subjects including:
    Mathematics AND English or Irish

This is from DCU, so no, you have not fecked up your career.
    But the person said they are doing 6 subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Sorry, didnt read that/ ignored it...

How do you know that you failed? The marker will not want to fail you, and if you are close to the pass mark, they will for certain look for a way to bring you up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

If you failed Irish then you've virtually no chance of getting in. You could check the course requirements?

Were you doing higher or ordinary? The ordinary is such a stroll \i can't see how anybody would fail, only need 38% too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Also, if you were doing ordinary, keep in mind that todays paper was only worth 18% (and listening 20%). So even if you lost most of the marks here, paper 1 and the oral could easily bring you up to a pass.

You only need about 230 marks to pass ordinary. Now with yesterday's comprehensions being worth 100m surely 140 from everything else is achievable? I hope so anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If you have 6 other subjects its no problem.
    Jeez, I really thought people would at least check the matriculation requirements for the courses they applied for:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Justbringiton, don't let what you think may or may not have happened in Irish affect your other exams. Even if you had missed the exam altogether it's not the end of the world.

There are worse things in the world than repeating a subject, which you may not have to do at all, as we always tend to think the very worst when things go a bit wrong.

The absolute worst possible scenario is that you have to repeat. You haven't ****ed up anything.

It's the weekend, it's sunny, you're young and healthy.

spurious wrote:
    There are worse things in the world than repeating a subject, which you may not have to do at all, as we always tend to think the very worst when things go a bit wrong.

Except maybe waiting a full calendar year to sit one exam?
    Yeah, maybe Death or some sort of Illness, but waiting a year to re-sit an exam is mad to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Naikon wrote:
    If you have 6 other subjects its no problem.
    Jeez, I really thought people would at least check the matriculation requirements for the courses they applied for:rolleyes:
    I really thought people would at least check the post that they are replying to...

So in other words the OP is saying that the max they can get is 500 points? What course are you applying for?

Also, I'm assuming you've got other choices other than DCU on your CAO form? In that case, you'll still be going to college and once you're in college you should be able to aim for your chosen profession regardless of what college you attend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Naikon wrote:
    Yeah, maybe Death or some sort of Illness, but waiting a year to re-sit an exam is mad to say the least.

There are plenty things can be done during that year though that can enhance performance in the DCU course when he/she gets there - a PLC course in a related area? Work in a related area?

Instead of seeing the possible fail in Irish as a drawback it could be the thing that guarantees a high level of success in the chosen course.

So in other words the OP is saying that the max they can get is 500 points? What course are you applying for?

The problem is, almost every University (certainly all of the major ones) requires 6 passes.

I really thought people would at least check the post that they are replying to...

Also, I'm assuming you've got other choices other than DCU on your CAO form? In that case, you'll still be going to college and once you're in college you should be able to aim for your chosen profession regardless of what college you attend.

Ok, I thought he was doing 6 including pass Irish, but if Irish is his sixth subject and he fails it, he cant apply for DCU.
    BUT in saying that, If he has Ordinary degrees and Certs down in other colleges, he can always transfer to Computer Applications 2nd year.

By the way OP, your Third level course does not ultimately decide your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Naikon wrote:
    By the way OP, your Third level course does not ultimately decide your career.

Yeah, thats the most important piece of advice you can take away from here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Naikon wrote:
    Are you talking about repeating just one subject? As far as I know you have to do at least six if you're repeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

on a similar note...(didnt want to start a new thread)..Does anyone know if theres some kind of an attempt mark for the english HL composition, i had an hour left to do it and somehow went blank, panicked and ended up writing 2 pages of absolute crap, now im afraid i could fail which would mean i would have to repeat, even though i averaged about 70% in the rest of the paper and paper2.
    How bad does an essay have to be to get less than say, 20 marks??

• Advertisement

carlowboy wrote:
    Are you talking about repeating just one subject? As far as I know you have to do at least six if you're repeating.
    Not at all, you can sit as few as you want. There's a guy in my centre just repeating maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Guys im feelin so ****ty right now !! i didnt study for irish because i was sure i didnt need IT, the ****in worst thing is tat Even Dit requires six subjects

Advertisement