Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with....

• 08-06-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

So the wife came home with stuff for dinner, but I've yet to figure out what we'll do with it.

I have...

some minute steaks
    a bag of young spinach
    carrots

Pretty-much any starch option (pasta, spuds, rice of various types, polenta)
    Onions, spring onions & garlic are lying around too.

Pretty much whatever you want in herbs / spices.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

It is probably too late, but you could try this.

Boil up some noodles or if you haven't got noodles, some rice.

Using a cube and some boiling water, make up a half pint of beef stock. Add a chunk of ginger (ends exposed) to it and let it simmer.

Cut your minute steaks into very thin strips. Cut your carrots into matchsticks. Slice your spring onions finely. Stir fry your beef in its own juices in a wok with plenty of garlic and ginger until quite crispy. Add a good dash of fish sauce and a good dash of soy sauce. Add your carrots and spring onions and stir-fry lightly. Last, add plenty of torn spinach leaves and cook lightly.

When your beef and vegetables are sizzling and ready to eat, remove the chunk of ginger from the simmering stock and pour it into the wok.

Put your rice or noodles into a bowl. Using a slotted spoon, heap meat and vegetables on top of the rice or noodles. Then spoon as much of the remaining beef broth over as you would like. You can have it dry or like a soup. Tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

We actually thought about something very close to that, but we both decided that the spinach had to be used.

So, dinner was as follows...

4 cloves of (fresh*) garlic, finely diced, sauteed, then the spinach added on top with some nutmeg & black pepper and allowed to simmer down.

Seared the beef on both sides, took off the heat, then finely sliced.

Made some fresh tagliatelle (if its not obvious from recent posts, I love my fresh pasta and make it at every opportunity), tossed the spinach and beef through it, splashed some good extra-virgin and some lemon-juice over it all, added some shavings of sbrinz (a Swiss cheese similar to parmesan) and wolfed it down.

*And* there was enough leftovers for me to have for lunch in work on Monday!

Result :)

*By fresh, I mean fresh....to the point where the skin hasn't dried to a papery texture. Fresh garlic is the bomb. Wild (leaf) garlic would have been even better, but its out of season.

Advertisement