Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Personal Trainer

• 08-06-2007 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

Was looking to buy a GPS training system for fitness / tracking + timing my runs.

I know some can monitor Heart Rate, speed, lap times etc but was juist wondering what would be the most all-round package for a serious athlete

Also do these devices track the gradient of hills during the run...

any info appreciated guys...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

thewools wrote:
    Was looking to buy a GPS training system for fitness / tracking + timing my runs.

I know some can monitor Heart Rate, speed, lap times etc but was juist wondering what would be the most all-round package for a serious athlete

Also do these devices track the gradient of hills during the run...

any info appreciated guys...

I have never heard of it before, but I am a bit interested now......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Garmin forerunner is the range of choice. They're not cheap..
    You really would want to be a very serious runner, in which case you'd probably have heard of them before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think that the Garmin Forerunner range include a heart rate monitor as well as part of the package and the Foretrex range is just the strange looking GPS watch thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

yea was looking at the "forerunner" range mainly the 305 atm, but not sure if there are any other ranges that can compete with this system - talking around €300 for this one... (ebay around €200 plus postage and tax)... i presume this is the most all round package atm will have to study its functions futher however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Do you really need a device that has both GPS functionality and heart rate monitor?

I have both as separate devices. If I have a new run, I'll usually map it out first (bike / car) so I know the distances, elevations etc. (I'll usually find a place to leave a bottle of water too).. Then run it afterwards with the HRM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

I use a forerunner 201 and a separate heart rate monitor for marathon kayak training. I find it an invaluable tool really. But if I was to buy again, I'd get the forerunner with the built in heart rate monitor.

When I download my session and upload it to motionbased.com to analyze it, heart rate would be a good statistic to have so I could see what I was at during a specific period of training.

http://www.motionbased.com allows you to play back your route using google maps and it will show your speed or whatever other stats you need.

If you train alone, you don't need to be a pro to have one of these tools. It helps bring focus to training alone. So if you have places where you don't perform well, you can focus in on them and work at those weak points.

Advertisement