Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hand signals during the driving test

• 08-06-2007 8:17pm

Hi, I have my driving test for my A licence coming up in a few months. I just want to know if you are required to use hand signals all the way through the test. I was told recently by a friend that this was necessary but I'm not sure. I will be getting lessons soon but in the meantime I was hoping some one on here could shed some light on this, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

I could be wrong but as far as i know you don't have to use them during the test.

When i did my test i was just quized on them before we set off, he asked me to perform one or two and then away we went but never asked me to do any during the test route itself.

Yeah I know you must show the tester that you know the signals beforehand,but my friend is insisting that you must do them throughout the test. Ive never seen anyone else do them on the road so your probably right. just wanted to be sure, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭chasm

I did my test in 2005, and I too was unsure as to whether hand signals were expected during the test. I read on msa-ireland site that "you may be required to use hand signals as well as indicators". The "may" bit annoyed me as i felt there should be set rules for a test. In the end i emailed the citizens info service
    and received the following reply-which i found quite useful. (By the way i too was only asked to show that i knew the hand signals i did not have to use them during the test.):

You will be assessed in the following situations: moving off, driving
    in
    traffic, driving left-hand circuits of a block and driving right-hand
    circuits.
    You will also be required to do a U-turn around the width of the road
    to
    demonstrate that you have good control of your motorcycle in a confined
    space.
    You may lose points for using a foot to steady the bike. You will then
    be asked
    to ride slowly, at "walking pace" for around 50 metres to demonstrate
    that you
    have adequate control of your vehicle.

The aspects of your driving that will be assessed include road
    positioning;
    overtaking and passing; anticipation and observation; use of signals;
    progress;
    speed; compliance with traffic lights, road signs and road markings and
    proper
    use of your vehicle controls. At some point during your test, the
    examiner will
    ask you to demonstrate your hand signals. You can also expect to make a
    number
    of left and right turns, encounter a roundabout and stop at traffic
    lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

When i did my test i used one hand signal just because i got the opportunity to do so. You dont have to but i did to show that i could to earn brownie points. I think it worked. I passed with flying colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ive never seen anyone else do them on the road so your probably right. just wanted to be sure, thanks.
    I've used them before when the indicators were on the blink (or rather were not :D )

regardless, you should know and be able to demonstrate them in case you sometime have to use them.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 liamfortune76

not true but if the test person doesnt find your indicitators road legal he will ask you to use hand signals! happened to my girlfriend in febuary in belgard tallaght when she done her test on my super four wit iridium indicators that flash yellow. although he didnt say a word when i done my test 15 months previous with the same indicators on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nowadays you must have and use functioning indicators during the test. You can't even use hand signals on an old classic that never had indicators-that bike would not be allowable for the test anymore. Obvioulsy you get asked them once as with the cat B test etc. just incase your indicators fail or you choose to ride a classic with no indicators after your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i done the hand signals in the office after the theory part and just before we headed out to the bike. never asked to use them during the test on the road,no problems and i passed:D a mate of mine did his test on an old yamaha town mate and the indicators were in bits(black electrical tape holding them together,you get the idea!) and he was told to use hand signals all the way through the road test,so if in doubt make sure your indicators are up to scratch and you'll be grand;)

Thanks for the awnsers guys. I've got the test coming up on the second of August, and my insurance is up the week after so I really want to pass and get cheaper insurance. I'm booking a pretest course with a crowd called bikecraft. Very pricey but hopefully worth it.

Advertisement