Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 XDA Orbit Reviews From Users Anyone got one

• 08-06-2007 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

As the title says, do you have one, what do you think of it.

1.) How is the battery life
    2.) How good/bad is the gps
    3.) Any typical PDA issues, constant soft resets etc ?

I currently have one sealed but contemplating giving it to my dad or using it myself, so want to hear from whoever has one is it worth running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭oakers

1) Charge min about once a week!
    2) GPS is fine! Works perfick
    3) not really!

Now, having said all that, mine is from HTC and so doesn't have any of the O2 stuff on it and is CID unlocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I bought one off ebay for the purpose of GPS/phone in one device. I've only had it since yesterday but it seems fine. It's unlocked and working happily with my Vodafone sim.

It's O2 branded though I might see if it's possible to remove that. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this?

I'm currently running a cracked version of Route 66 on it for evaluation and I also have Destinator to try before I decide on one of them. The maps for the version I have are out of date (It didn't have some of the roads I take to work) but on any stretch it has it worked perfectly with varying speeds & turns.

Have a look here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Oh, and tomtom 6.6 works very well!

Cool. That site looks good to me.

I might check out TomTom though they've recently decided to go with TeleAtlas maps over Navteq so I don't know if there's much hope of map updates for a device used mainly in Ireland?

They only recently updated to 6.75 which now includes the port tunnel! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

yes,teleatlas are improving gradually, has most the roads down in cork, even the rural roads!

Had a play with one in the o2 experience store, it a lovely looking device and cant believe how much the bulid quality has improved since i had my mini-s .
    I prefer to have a keypad of some sort though, imagine the finger prints after one day!!!

I have a screen protector on mine and it's staying there. I reckon I'd destroy the screen otherwise.

TeleAtlas is of no use to me at the moment as I'm mainly interested in trying out the GPS down in Mayo when I'm home doing deliveries for the father's business so I need the most current maps and Navteq claim 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

Flying wrote:
    As the title says, do you have one, what do you think of it.

1.) How is the battery life
    2.) How good/bad is the gps
    3.) Any typical PDA issues, constant soft resets etc ?

I currently have one sealed but contemplating giving it to my dad or using it myself, so want to hear from whoever has one is it worth running.

nice little device.

1. i have to charge the battery most nights, but i am using it most of the day with wifi and messing around with the apps etc. o i would imagine with more normal usage it would be fine.
    2. there is no gps software with the xda orbit unless you get it on a buisness packaged from o2. there is some free stuff out there :
    http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSce/default.htm
    http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/default.htm ( trial )
    you can also get google maps for it that will work with gps but you will need a gprs connection.

3. there is some weird things like there is no way to close apps, you need to use a add-on app from o2.

i have been able to get skype beta working fine on it, except it uses the speaker instead of the earpiece, still usable but you need to flip the phone over.

so far a great little pda / phone. it can connect to most things wifi bluetooth remote desktop etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Had it a couple of weeks and really like it. Battery life is fine. GPS works no problem so far. I have even gone as far as upgrading it to WM6 which has native SIP support....so now I can use my blueface a/c over WLAN in the house or hotspot...very cool.

Use to have an XDA IIs and I can't say I miss having a keyboard...the screen protector shipped with it is useless.

One other nice thing is that the interface is mini-usb, so my motorola b'tooth charger / mini usb cables are all interchangeable...one less charger to bring on the road.

Build is much better than any other HTC device I've had.

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

TKK wrote:
    Cool. That site looks good to me.

I might check out TomTom though they've recently decided to go with TeleAtlas maps over Navteq so I don't know if there's much hope of map updates for a device used mainly in Ireland?

Remember to CID unlock it before putting an unbranded rom on, otherwise you will brick it.

If you need any help give me a shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

No need to CID unlock anymore...a new utility has been developed:

See: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=311403

And it is working for many users.

Advertisement