Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drama for foreign people

Options
  • 08-06-2007 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I come from France I have been in Dublin for 2 months now. I spent some time in Canada where there was a drama course addressed to foreign people in order to improve their English by doing drama. I was just wondering if the same kind of course would exist here in Dublin. My english is ok but not good enough to do drama with people who speak English as a native language, that is the reason why I am looking for this kind of thing. If anyone has heard of something similar please let me know! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I remember a group starting up a couple of years ago to promote drama across the various nationalities in Dublin. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, not sure if it's still there.

Best place to start may be the drama league of Ireland www.dli.ie Dara there will point you in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 caffreys

Hi Lucile,

Would you let me know if you find something like that ? I'm french as well and I am already in a musical and drama society, but I am fed up of doing musicals ( don't really like dancing or singing) and I am looking for a drama group, but I can't really find anything. The problem is of course my accent, and I am afraid that it would be a problem to join a drama group as I wouldn't get any parts because of that...
    By the way, to everybody else in the forums, I need some advice about that : Will my french accent be always a problem for auditions and things like that ? Because ususally, the parts require a particular accent ( Dublin, cork, london, US etc). Sorry I only do French!!... Although my accent is not really strong, you can definitely tell I am not irish. Is there any courses like voice coaching which could help to improve or change my accent?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lucile_Krueger

Thank you Athtrasna for your reply, I am going to contact dli.ie and hopefully they will know about this group. If you ever remember the name of the group please let me know!

And caffreys I will post a reply in this thread if I find out anything interesting. If you find anything please keep me updated as well. What's the name of the drama society you are in at the moment ? Your French accent is not a problem in this group ?

I knew I'd find it - I remember these auditions well (I was awful!)

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/60812?save_prefs=true

I found stuff on a play they did in 2005 also, so maybe they're still in existance?

http://www.visitdublin.com/discus/messages/4/3123.html

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 caffreys

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, however I'm afraid this group doesn't exist anymore as the link to their website doesn't work and I couldn't find anything on the web about them, just the links you put in your message. According to the comments made on the forum of Indymedia, I don't know if they had much success ( I was pretty schocked by the racist and abusive comments I've seen...). anyway, we will have to find something else !!

• Advertisement

The DLI should be able to confirm if they exist still or not. Just because a website isn't working doesn't mean that the group is gone. I couldn't find anything from between 2003 (Little Shop of Horrors) and 2005 (the play) but they obviously did still exist in that time.

Don't give up hope yet!

Advertisement