Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kirby Vacuum Hard Sell

Options
  • 08-06-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Just had a company around selling Kirby Vacuum, The sales guys was good. Has convinced me that the vacuum is a very good machine, but is it ? Has anyone bought one. How much did you pay for it ?

I managed to buy some time. They are very expensive for a vacuum and want to know I am getting value for money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If the vac wasn't popular between 1970 -1990, I'd say you may be in the wrong forum, mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Well I suppose you right. Couldn't find a best fit of post so as the thing looked like it came from 70s + they started in the 70s, where else would I put it !?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

As you seem concerned about the "hard sell" policy then maybe Consumer Issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What the fu.ck?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Only one way to decide this...

Have Ruu or nlgbbbblth ever heard of this particular vacuum brand? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

This is the only Kirby I want to hear about in this forum.

cook_kirby.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Had to check twice to see it this thread was dated in the mid nineties before Dyson appeared. They did the hard sell in the UK for years and there were many consumers programmes complaining aboiut their hard sell tactics for what is a fairly standard machine.

For the money Kirby is rubbish - a Dyson will beat it any day for hundreds of euro less.

Check these Kirby Stories!!! -
    http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/kirby/kirby.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/in_home/kirby.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It is not a vacum cleaner it is s home cleaning system. :D

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There are advantages to the kirby, but the service/maintenance is pretty crap, so there's no real point.

The dyson isn't such a great machine - there are issues around reliability from national uk surveys - http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=602202005

and I have heard it remarked that this is borne out in return rates in Irish retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Get a Miele .. it'll outlive you, probably :)

• Advertisement

Miele isn't necessarily all that hard wearing. I have one myself. It's fine if it doesn't get banged around I guess.

The old-style aluminium/stainless steel nilfisk is hard to beat if you want longevity, but it's kinda pricey.

There are some non-dyson cyclonic cylinder cleaners with washable filters that I have seen that seem pretty good.

But responding to the OP again, there are plenty of better options than the Kirby for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Miele isn't necessarily all that hard wearing. I have one myself. It's fine if it doesn't get banged around I guess.
    Ours is getting on for 20 years old at this stage and it's never even hiccuped .. not quite sure what you mean by 'hard wearing' .. it's a vacuum cleaner, and as long as it works that's just fine by me. Any cleaner is going to look a bit rough around the edges after that amount of use. We've also got a Miele microwave that was bought in 1984, that's only had to have the light bulb replaced twice. That's good enough for me.

They do vary over the years. I think the vac's have gotten flimsier, but maybe i am wrong. Bits of mine (like the vacuum head) have broken.

if the OP (or anyone else) wants a kirby complete with all the bits and pieces, they can have one if they pick it up in Ranelagh area. I believe you can get them pretty cheapish on eBay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MamaJo

I know this is a very old post but i bought a Kirby vacuum cleaner through the doorstep salesman.
    Yes, it was pushy but i bought it back in 1999 and its still an amazing machine in 2016. I also have a Dyson which i bought about 2012, i have hardly used the Dyson as its always getting clogged up and is pure rubbish.
    The Kirby is an incredibly strong machine designed to last a lifetime. I can honestly say its the best appliance i have ever bought. Definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing zombie thread

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement