Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress Of It All

Options
  • 08-06-2007 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Am i the only one who thinks people get too stressed aout the whole exams. I know its important and everyone wants to do well......but seriously some people take them way too seiously and then make every one else suffer with their moods in case heaven fordid people might be able to laugh andbe normal........

There isn't much point getting stressed about it as it will do more damage,.....i've seen how exams have changed peoples personalities.......are they really worth that much? Roll on change of exam timetable....

leave ur comments on what u think.....

Comments

They're stressed perhaps because they're pushing themselves to get the points for something they really really really want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

totally agree with you, the LC is overrated so far, it feels like nothing more than an extended summer exam....so there is no point gettin stresses out. theres no harm in repeating if you have to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RafaB

I can see why people get stressed! I was a wreck before the English but once you get the 1st out of the way its grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

Myth wrote:
    They're stressed perhaps because they're pushing themselves to get the points for something they really really really want?

i'm pushing myself to get something i REALLY really really want, but i'm not all that stressed and my personality hasnt changed, if anything i am more relaxed now than anything... i know loads of people who have come out of the exams crying because they upset themselves worrying over one question from a whole paper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 powerofone

Much too hyped up in my opinion,

media is solely to blame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

Being the drama queen I hate to say I am I was a mess before English even though I was fairly well prepared :o , it's the media - you turn on the telly they're taking about it, 606 on 2fm and its the only thing people are talking about everyone and I mean everyone I meet: "Well, hows the study goin? Don't worry sure you'll be grand!", really that doesnt help at all - telling me I'll do grand half of them didnt even sit the Leaving yet there giving me advice :mad: !!..It really isn't that big a deal yeah everyone wants to do well but maybe if it wasn't so hyped up people wouldn't be coming out of exams in hysterics, really cry isn't going to improve anyones result :rolleyes: It really isn't the end of the world if you don't do aswell as you hoped ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

yeah like all my relatives are like "Sean....you've done the work, so you have nothing to be worried about" then they hand me a card with money in it.....man it makes me feel so guilty!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

cossyx wrote:
    Being the drama queen I hate to say I am I was a mess before English even though I was fairly well prepared :o , it's the media - you turn on the telly they're taking about it, 606 on 2fm and its the only thing people are talking about everyone and I mean everyone I meet: "Well, hows the study goin? Don't worry sure you'll be grand!", really that doesnt help at all - telling me I'll do grand half of them didnt even sit the Leaving yet there giving me advice :mad: !!..It really isn't that big a deal yeah everyone wants to do well but maybe if it wasn't so hyped up people wouldn't be coming out of exams in hysterics, really cry isn't going to improve anyones result :rolleyes: It really isn't the end of the world if you don't do aswell as you hoped ;)
    It's your own fault for paying attention to the media.

The way I see it, I block out 90% of the crap the media spout to sell papers and make money the rest of the year, why should I pay attention to what they have to say about the LC. It's only as hard as you perceive it to be due to looking at past papers and studying the courses in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It's your own fault for paying attention to the media.

The way I see it, I block out 90% of the crap the media spout to sell papers and make money the rest of the year, why should I pay attention to what they have to say about the LC. It's only as hard as you perceive it to be due to looking at past papers and studying the courses in general.

Ya I try to, kind of a difficult thing to though, my parents don't put any pressure on me or anything but I made money like from peole giving me cards and some of my relations even got masses said for me!! So even though I know theres no pressure I kind of think if I don't do good I'm letting them down..But as my father always reminds me if the worst comes to the worse I could do a feckin' apprenticeship..not very womanly though!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

yeah like all my relatives are like "Sean....you've done the work, so you have nothing to be worried about"
    hehe, my relatives say "you haven't done any work, why the hell aren't you pissing yourself?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Pfft. Stress? What stress? I've never been more laid back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah, people change around this time of year.
    The lc has been easy for me(so far) on thursday night I watched saw 3 and the last king of scotland until 5 and then did Irish.

pilchard wrote:
    i'm pushing myself to get something i REALLY really really want, but i'm not all that stressed and my personality hasnt changed, if anything i am more relaxed now than anything... i know loads of people who have come out of the exams crying because they upset themselves worrying over one question from a whole paper..

Meh. People deal with stress in different ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

So far, there's been little or no stress (apart from maybe what was coming up for english paper 2). However, mefeels this is all gonna change next Wednesday morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

So far, there's been little or no stress (apart from maybe what was coming up for english paper 2). However, mefeels this is all gonna change next Wednesday morning...

I feel for you buddy, history and business on the one day is not nice. I only do business but the pressure you're under to get the 5 questions and ABQ done in the time and with all the material they want is something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

I find it ridiculous that some of us go over the top and buy concentration tablets for it and other strange things (when they dont need them), its not the end of your life if you dont do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roonels

its a strange one really, i mean i expected myself to be stressed cause i havent done a tap. i think wat gets to most people is expectations, people saying 'ah your a genius you will get 600 i suppose' its those comments that worry ya, cause you know your not gonna get next nor near it. that kinda stuff bothered me for a while but now its like any other exam! im actually kinda enjoying it:o (dont persecute me!:p ) its our last days in school with our buddies so im just trying to soak it all up, and it really helps cause your going into an exam smiling and stress free, everything flows from there. i just think every1 should take a deep breath, seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Could be worse...in China its crazy..some people commit suicide..and parents inject there children with protein and other drugs to beat everyone and keep there motivation and stamina up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I completely agree with the first post. Exams don't define anyone as a person, really. Its not the end of the world, you'll end up the same when you're 30 anyway. If you really, really want something, you'll eventually find your way down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

It's extrememly stressful when you think you're gonna fail Maths and you need the bloody subject for college :(

I don't think I've ever been so worried...I'm being driven slowly insane :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

mateo wrote:
    It's extrememly stressful when you think you're gonna fail Maths and you need the bloody subject for college :(

I don't think I've ever been so worried...I'm being driven slowly insane :(

They're only exams, mate. Life is not all based on exams!

Watch this

Then watch this

Feel better now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

haha stress...whats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

As far as I can see in my school, the people who havent done a tap for the 2 years, and are only realising this now, are the most stressed ones.

Not to say that everyone isnt feeling a bit nervous or stressed, these are the people that are breaking down in tears during exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Do you seriously believe that people choose to be stressed out? Half of the posts here seem to take the attitude that it's a conscious choice. Saying stuff like - it's only an exam, getting stressed out won't help you, <insert exam related cliché> doesn't help anyone. The person that's stressed out already knows it, and generally can't help it.

I'm not particularly stressed, but I need relatively few points and have done the work. But some people only do work by being stressed, they wouldn't work otherwise. Other people simply can't control it, even if it doesn't do them any good.

Anyway, I think just about everyone is stressed in some way about the LC, but as Myth said, we all respond in different ways. Some people just happen to respond in very obvious ways - eg. the personality shifts mentioned in the OP. Others are ****ting themselves but simply pretend not to care. A lot of people become over-competitive. Better just look after for yourself, and leave everyone else to deal with stress in their own way - you might think you're doing them a favour by shoving your own outlook on life down their throats, but in 99% of cases, you're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

rjt wrote:
    Do you seriously believe that people choose to be stressed out? Half of the posts here seem to take the attitude that it's a conscious choice. Saying stuff like - it's only an exam, getting stressed out won't help you, <insert exam related cliché> doesn't help anyone. The person that's stressed out already knows it, and generally can't help it.

I'm not particularly stressed, but I need relatively few points and have done the work. But some people only do work by being stressed, they wouldn't work otherwise. Other people simply can't control it, even if it doesn't do them any good.

Anyway, I think just about everyone is stressed in some way about the LC, but as Myth said, we all respond in different ways. Some people just happen to respond in very obvious ways - eg. the personality shifts mentioned in the OP. Others are ****ting themselves but simply pretend not to care. A lot of people become over-competitive. Better just look after for yourself, and leave everyone else to deal with stress in their own way - you might think you're doing them a favour by shoving your own outlook on life down their throats, but in 99% of cases, you're not.

Smartest [non subject] post in leaving cert. forum.....of the year?

Advertisement