Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling meals -- Trying to train

• 08-06-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hi Im hoping someone on this forum can help me out. I have cut out all the crap out of my diet. Getting in shape for the summer. Not in bad shape to begin with but im always hungry.
    Can any of ye guys suggest food/meals which you can eat loads of i.e filling, but will still fit in with my goal of gettin in shape?

Thanks guys for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I find beans and pulses are quite filling - chick peas, butter beans and the like.
    Like making a tomato based pasta sauce and adding in butter beans.

Curries I find are also filling - I eat them with basmati rice.
    Mexican fahitas and the like. Make it with kidney beans - and I also make a mexican brown rice. Use fat free fromage frais - or 0% greek yogurt as your sour cream.
    Falafel in wholemeal pittas - make your own taziki with the 0% greek yoghurt.
    Stirfrys are great too - lots of veggies in there to fill you up.

All these beans kinda have a side effect though!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

olaola wrote:
    I find beans and pulses are quite filling - chick peas, butter beans and the like.
    Like making a tomato based pasta sauce and adding in butter beans.

Curries I find are also filling - I eat them with basmati rice.
    Mexican fahitas and the like. Make it with kidney beans - and I also make a mexican brown rice. Use fat free fromage frais - or 0% greek yogurt as your sour cream.
    Falafel in wholemeal pittas - make your own taziki with the 0% greek yoghurt.
    Stirfrys are great too - lots of veggies in there to fill you up.

All these beans kinda have a side effect though!!! :eek:

Thanks v much for the suggestions. Im starting to get sick of eatin the same stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you want any recipes gimme a shout.
    www.bbc.co.uk/food is a good resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

When I am cutting back on the junk I try to fill out my main meals with loads of vegetables so that I am less tempted to snack.

For example, this is the chilli I made at the weekend. It makes four large servings.

1lb minced beef (450g)
    2 large onions
    1 red pepper
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    4 cloves garlic
    1 can kidney beans
    200g mushrooms
    Some beef stock (I made it in one of the empty tomato cans - filling the can about half way)
    2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins chilli & garlic sauce
    Good splash Worchestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons hot chilli powder
    2 teaspoons mango chutney

Finely chop your mushrooms, pepper, onions and garlic. Dry-fry these in a large saucepan with the mince. When the mince has browned, drain off all of the fat. Return to the heat and add the tomatoes, kidney beans, stock, sauces and spices. Stir well and leave to simmer for a few hours for the best flavour. Taste befor eyou eat, and add salt/pepper/more chutney etc. as you may feel fit.

I ate my chilli topped with some sweetcorn, chopped onion and a little cheese, along with a big green salad and a flour tortilla. Alternatively you could have rice with it, but rice is very high in calories and so you only get a small portion.

I also do this with bolognese, again this yields 4 large servings.

1lb minced beef
    2 onions
    Half courgette
    100g mushrooms, sliced
    Half red pepper
    Half green pepper
    4 cloves garlic
    2 cans tomatoes
    1 small can tomato purée
    Loads of mixed green herbs
    Salt, pepper, sugar to taste

Chop up your onions, peppers, courgette, pepper and garlic and dry-fry them with the beef. Drain off the fat. Add tomatoes, purée, herbs and seasonings. Allow to simmer until thick and flavourful. I eat this with 2-3oz of wholewheat pasta and it's very filling and satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

chicken fillets, keep your protein levels up when dieting and train so you dont lose muscle mass along with the fat and mess up your metabolism. A full tin of baked beans is only about 250kcal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Eat porrige for breakfast! It really fills you up and you don't get hungry for aaaages after eating it. Soak it overnight in milk or water and heat it up in the morning. It's really nice with raisins and strawberries. I put a handfull of Special K bliss on the top of mine also which gives it a nice flavour.

Chickpeas are also really filling. You can get them tinned, but if you're using the non-tinned variety you have to be careful to prepare them properly (haven't a clue how to do this tho!). Nigella Lawson has a lovely recipie for chickpea and courgette filo pastry pie in her Domestic Goddess book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mac1970

Hi

I'm dieting at the minute and i miss my fry up but have substitued pork for turkey and Turkey sausages and rashers are tastier,healthier and you know whats in them.I grill them and serve them in a pitta and with some sugar free baked beans it is perfect:D :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Complex carbohydrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Avocado
    Tuna
    Pepper
    Tomato

Mix everything up in a bowl and eat it like cereal. Pour over whichever oil you like best. If you're a bloke and are training hard, you should be able to get away with all the fat.

Advertisement