Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never have to do _ again!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Come Monday I will never have to do any more of that pathetic, useless, disgusting, suicidAL-thoughts-inducing, pointless, stressful, impossible Mathematics that's taught for the LC! :D

That's nonsense. Maths is by far the most pointless course on the leaving.

I agree!

And f*ck the whole "Maths forms the mind" crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

O.O

..............Have you even read Kavanagh?!
    Name another poem where Kavanagh bitches about country life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

O.O

..............Have you even read Kavanagh?!
    6 Kavanagh poems I've studied:

Inishkeen Road: July Evening:
    About Kavanagh's lonliness and differing perception to others, his dislike of the masses conforming to certain activities etc.

Christmas Childhood:
    Brain dump of memories from Christmas as a child. Not a great poem IMO, but nothing negative about rural Ireland

On Raglan Road:
    Kavanagh's lament for love. He comes across as a bit mysoginistic, cynical and thinks he is above ordinary people, but no mention of rural Ireland being ****... In fact, it's set in Dublin.

Shancoduff:
    An expression of love for the beauty which he sees around him and anger towards ignorant people who dismiss poets as poor and don't see beauty in the ordinary like him.

Epic:
    Explores the idea that big world shaping events like the Munich Conference in 1938 aren't any more important than local issues.

The Hospital:
    A poem detailing how beauty can be found in anything and how people's perception is narrow minded.

I fail to see him proclaiming rural Ireland to be shít...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

mateo wrote:
    I agree!

And f*ck the whole "Maths forms the mind" crap.
    ur just stooooooopid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

mateo wrote:
    suicidAL

If that was intentional, I believe we know each other!

And now, as annoying as maths may be, it has, at a basic level, some uses in later life. Being able to write a "Personal Response" to Plath or trace theme's through Macbeth(with ample quotation), has no merits as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I fail to see him proclaiming rural Ireland to be shít...
    Read Advent and The Great Hunger, and re-read Innisken Road.Then you shall see.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    ur just stooooooopid

Yeh well we're not all as clever as you! :rolleyes: Some people are just not good at Maths. For God's sake

He doesn't bitch about country life in Inniskeen Road. He bitches about his solitude and how he has "what every poet hates despite their solemn talk of contemplation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

All depends on how you read them but wasn't Advent about his wish to wallow in the habitual? And explain what you mean about Inniskeen road..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

He doesn't bitch about country life in Inniskeen Road. He bitches about his solitude and how he has "what every poet hates despite their solemn talk of contemplation".
    Yeah but he bitches about the solitude that is caused BY rural Ireland.Cause of the lack and people and stuff.

"Bicycles go by in twos and threes-"
    "half-talk code of mysteries"

sounds like there is people there to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

Why Kavanagh is being discussed is beyond me, None of us have to study him anymore! :)

Im so glad that I dont have to do Irish anymore. I love the language, but hate the course.

I wont have to use any of my subjects ever again, apart from art.

NCAD here I come!

Nehpets wrote:
    "Bicycles go by in twos and threes-"
    "half-talk code of mysteries"

sounds like there is people there to me!
    Yeah, but he isn't part of any of that craic. He's a loner, hence his solitude.

I don't think he's blaming it on his rural surroundings though, but it's open to interprutation I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dean-16

Naikon wrote:
    No wonder I always hated Macbeth;)
    i agree

Advertisement