Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perscr drug addiction? tramadol help please

• 08-06-2007 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

hi, long story short, i was in a car crash 9 months ago, since then i have suffered severe pain and have been on a cocktail of tylex and difene, i have also been on valium, this i am not addicted too even though i have been taking for 9 months,

i can say this truthfully as i came off it easily after 2 months of daily use, and now i only use it in emergencies, 20tabs lasts about 2 and a half months.

however i have had a really bad spell and my cocktail did nothing at all. i maxed out all my meds and was back in severe pain an hour after taking them and counting down the minutes till my next dose. Today was so bad i had to get my partner to put on my underware as i was unable to do it for myself

My doctor perscribed tramadol today and after one dose i am pretty much pain free although feeling a bit tipsy, however, the info sheet said it was an opiod so i did some research and patient info uk site has patient info with some people saying they are hooked on it for the last 7 years.

has anyone been on tramadol. is it addictive, is it a derititive of morphine, i need to be pain free to look after my family, i am hoping to get back to work, but i dont want to do this at the risk of being a drug addict, albeit on perscriptions.

i know that were not supposed to give medical advice and i can get a warning from moderators for wanting medical advice, but i am really worried, i cant spend weekend in such pain, and i dont want to to take painkillers if i am going to be addicted to them by monday when i see doc again.

so anyone who has taken tramadol, your experiences would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I suggest that you do some research using Google but more importantly talk to your doctor and explain your fears. Seriously.

I don't think the mods will allow such discussion here although you do seem genuine. Do talk to your doctor. Get a second opinion if need be. Good luck.

EDIT: I don;t know if the mods are online tonight or not but I'd advise anyone else against replying to this thread just in case you get banned. Hope I'm not overstepping the mark with the forum mods here...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I had been using opioids for over 10 years to slow my digestive system (I've had about 70% of my intestines removed). I've had no problems with them (codeine and others). I have found when I needed pain killers that other opiates and their derivatives had no effect whatsoever- morphine may as well have been water- you develope a tolerance for them. I am aware of the concerns about opiates being addictive, and indeed am familiar with a few people who are irretreviably hooked on them.

I eventually developed a total intolerance for opiates- rather than an addiction- if I take even a solpadeine my skin (allover) becomes itchy and then inflamed- like a really really bad case of sunburn. I was switched onto high doses of sodium ioperamide instead, which is a little problematic, but does seem to sort-of work.

If you have specific concerns regarding your medication- contact your doctor. There are other classes of painkiller which may be as effective.

As with most medications there can be side-effects associated, particularly with longterm, usage. Its impossible to predict how they may affect someone. Asking on an internet forum is not a good course of action- of those who do reply odds are they will not be representative. Do some proper research and if you still have worries, contact competent medical staff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement