Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From 3GB to 10GB: 3 has one more go at me!

• 09-06-2007 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

The changeover happened at midnight tonight and here's exactly what happened -a close shave indeed.

I had the datamodem's SIM in a 6630 to monitor proceedings on Planet3 from 23:50.

at 00:01 all voice and SMS facilities were withdrawn (working earlier today).
    at 00:10 the allocation was updated to 10 gigs.

In tandem with this, it was apparent that the speed on the phone was no longer quite so sluggish -the 'feel' was such that it appeared the update had cleaned out and blown away certain cobwebs.

And so I returned the SIM to the datamodem and there I lost whatever hair remains to me. It would no longer connect. Try as I might, it just didn't want to know. This appeared to bear out the legend on the website 'HSDPA networks' -and there isn't one on 3UK (I'm in bed in Belfast, trivia fans).

The word 'bullocks' except with an O instead of the U was uttered repeatedly.

Panicked, I stuck it in the N95 where it worked again instantly! I surfed Planet 3 and a few other sites -once again the speed bump was obvious but that doesn't really compensate for going back to the BT modem route (one of the advantages of the datamodem is that it needs no charging but also does not noticeably draw on power from the MacBook).

Returned it to the datamodem and tried again this time willing it to life. No go! not once, nor twice. On the third attempt it suddenly woke up and began authenticating, the blue light came on and -am back in business! This e-pistle comes to you from it right now.

So -once again the 3 blurb is confusing and not to be listened to. It DOES roam on 3's 3G networks and is NOT confined to HSDPA only.Those whacky funsters over at 3 Ireland, eh?

Hurray! (rolls over and goes to sleep, relieved).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

culabula wrote:
    (I'm in bed in Belfast, trivia fans).

I always admired your level of detail cula - but just a little too much information this time ;)..

Glad things are working out up north..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Irish Wolf wrote:
    I always admired your level of detail cula - but just a little too much information this time ;)..

Just be thankful I didn't upload a pic...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

culabula wrote:
    Just be thankful I didn't upload a pic...:p

Speaking of which I was thinking about uploading a few pics to flickr using the modem - but methinks it might just take almost forever... actually I might give it a bash tomorrow if I get a few minutes...

I can see 10Gb disappearing very quickly doing that on a regular basis...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

culabula, thanks for updating us about the change from 3 GB to 10 GB, I'm now looking forward to mine and my trip over to the UK and Sweden to see if I can also get on the normal "3" network where there is no "HSDPA".

However knowing 3 have you checked that what you surfed has gone down from you allowance and is not being billed as roaming :rolleyes:

culabula, thanks for updating us about the change from 3 GB to 10 GB, I'm now looking forward to mine and my trip over to the UK and Sweden to see if I can also get on the normal "3" network where there is no "HSDPA".

However knowing 3 have you checked that what you surfed has gone down from you allowance and is not being billed as roaming :rolleyes:

But of course -though, really, they would have to advertise this in the first place and in the second it would be in clear breach of '3 Like Home' and a very silly retrograde step were they to attempt this.

• Advertisement

Actually 3 speak with slightly forked tongue: SMS-MT is still possible after all on the 10GB tariff.

Advertisement