Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August Repeats?????

Options
  • 09-06-2007 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I was sure these were off the table, but some lad just told me that they were on. Anyone got de 411?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

You got an email a while back about this.

Basically if you're transitionally modularised and your course previously had August repeats you will still have them.

If your course is transitionally modularlised and your course traditionally didn't have August repeats (e.g. final arts, SocSci) then you won't have August repeats.

If your completely modularlised August repeats will not be offered. You can retake the exam at the next exam session where it is offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

There are no august repeats at all. If you are one of the "transitionally modularised" folk, i.e. a third year in a 4 year course, your lecturers may be able to hold august repeats, although that is completely at their discretion. This is what we've been officially told. I assume it hasn't changed since then, but knowing UCD, they'll have changed their position a dozen times since then and will change it a dozen more before august.

EDIT: That's assuming your course used to have repeats. If it never had repeats, you won't get em this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Are commerce final year repeat marks capped at a D?? I heard commerce students could repeat finals they failed and get and A????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Worth mentioning that there will always be some August repeats. Like in physio if you failed one of the summer exams which was a requirement for the placements which start in August, you'd basically be missing a year of your course so they've applied to the college to have the August repeats. I think there are some vet repeats aswell, but bear in mind in both cases it on a module by module basis, not all of the modules will have august repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Every repeat is capped at a D- which is a GPA of 2.0
    Like in physio if you failed one of the summer exams which was a requirement for the placements which start in August, you'd basically be missing a year of your course so they've applied to the college to have the August repeats.
    In engineering we were told if you failed a module in Summer which is a prerequisite for a course next autumn, you're ****ed. But they have tried to organise things so that you don't have summer modules as prerequisites for the following semester, so that situation shouldn't come up. Hopefully. Not that i care, i'm in final year now :p

• Advertisement

Final commerce may be different though for those who sat finals just now the whole transitional thing tends to have different marks and standards.

Best thing is to consult your own individual marks and standards booklet if you're transitionally modularised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Are commerce final year repeat marks capped at a D?? I heard commerce students could repeat finals they failed and get and A????

Theres definitely some confusion in your post.
    First, do you mean "final year" exams, or final ie "end of year" exams (which is an improper, though common misuse of the word finals)

The current 3rd year commerce students can repeat their exams without a cap. Commerce have traditionally been able to do this, and the current 3rd years are the last of the traditional students (ie pre-horizons).

Not only does current final commerce NOT have any cap, but we dont get our results as a GPA. We have an honours system.

Current 1st and 2nd years will be bound by the same procedures they currently are when they are in 3rd year. If you are capped at a pass for repeats at present (which afaik you are, or are going to be) then thats the situation you will be in come your finals.

Hope that helps.
    Every repeat is capped at a D- which is a GPA of 2.0

No, they're not. There are different regulations for different courses, years and circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Yeah I mean people that sat their degree exams in june. They can repeat and not have their grades capped???? Thats crazily unfair surely they could just failed one of two exams and focus on the others thus getting a better grade overall.

You could but that is the system that has been in place for years.

There's also the fact you have to sit repeats a lot later, probably have to graduate later without your classmates and I'm not sure but I'd say if you've got a job lined up you may not be able to take it up when you had planned if you have repeats looming.

A lot of people would prefer not to have that looming over them rather than all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Yeah I mean people that sat their degree exams in june. They can repeat and not have their grades capped???? Thats crazily unfair surely they could just failed one of two exams and focus on the others thus getting a better grade overall.
    Yes it is unfair IMO. Someone who failed an exam should not be able to get a higher mark than someone who passed it first time around.

There was a discussion here on boards at Christmas along that point. Many ppl in commerce defer subjects, ie dont bother sitting them at all so that they can concentrate on some and then do the repeats. IF there were August repeats then this would be a very easy route to straight A's, but bear in mind that repeats are sat along side regular exams so you dont benefit tht much.
    In second year I defer an xmas exam, but ended up nearly failing a summer exam I should have walked because I spent too much time concentrating on the repeat. Entirely my own fault.

And as Steph pointed out, though it is great to be able to repeat final year exams without resitting the year, it can effect your career.

Whether or not you repeat sans cap, Absent or Fail show up on your transcripts if you defer/fail an exam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement