Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build- VERY DISSAPPOINTED !

Options
  • 09-06-2007 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I just received delivery of my new build parts, worked all night to assemble it only to find that it's WAY slower then I had hoped.

I usually run passmark performance test to benchmark my PC's performance.
    www.passmark.com it's free and enables great side by side comparisons.

My old PC (P4 1.8Ghz with 2GB DDR) scored 395

My new all singing all dancing Dual core 2.4GHz clocked at 3.1Ghz with 800Mhz DDR2, WD Raptor, Asus P5B Delux MB.... only scores 875 !

This sucks when compared to a saved test result from a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 Dual Intel Core 2 (2.66GHz) clocked to 3.1GHz which scores 1352!!!

I just spent 1400 Euro's and ended up with a peice of CRAP !

HELP me , what have I done wrong here?
    How on earth can the Gigabyte score so high!
    I did all my homework and baught the best money could buy (well almost).
    I did not expect to be top of the class, but surely it should be better than that.

Ray:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If that happened me I would double check you have newest drivers, and then run another set of benchmarks, maybe "sandra". Double check bios settings, maybe run all benchmarks after setting all defaults in the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I just ran this "Passmark" on my own PC and can confirm tis a load of crap.

It rates a 6800 Ultra as 4 times as good at rendering the 3D tests as my 7800GTX.

Download PCMark05

http://www.futuremark.com/download/pcmark05/

and 3DMark06

http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06/

Submit your results to the ORB and then you can search existing results by CPU, Mobo, Ram etc etc to find how systems similar to yours have scored. Passmark is just a load of crap I am afraid.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea 3DMARK05 and 06 are great! There kinda more graphics testing though! Do you have a graphics card?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

PCMark05 read my post :)

Inquitus wrote:
    PCMark05 read my post :)

Yea im agreeing with you!

I added there more graphics testing though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

DeafVision wrote:
    Yea im agreeing with you!

I added there more graphics testing though!
    It's PCMARK05:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

I'll try that, thanks.
    My graphics card is not particularly fast because I'm not a gamer, my main ares in in Photoshop so I really need CPU and memory crunching power.

The P5B has an overclocking software assiatant that let me set change the CPU clock from 266 to 320 before it starts to flake out (Ratio is 9).
    I'm not too well up on manual overclocking so I think I may be loosing some gain there too.

I'll run PCMark05 and see how I get on.

Ray

Inquitus wrote:
    I just ran this "Passmark" on my own PC and can confirm tis a load of crap.

It rates a 6800 Ultra as 4 times as good at rendering the 3D tests as my 7800GTX.

Download PCMark05

http://www.futuremark.com/download/pcmark05/

and 3DMark06

http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06/

Submit your results to the ORB and then you can search existing results by CPU, Mobo, Ram etc etc to find how systems similar to yours have scored. Passmark is just a load of crap I am afraid.

Inqui

Result from the test was 6807

there was only one similar system so it would not show the comparison result.

So how does this campare to others?
    I really need to see more detail in the result so I can see how the CPU is rated... any ideas ?

zabbo wrote:
    It's PCMARK05:rolleyes:

Damn. Well 3DMARK05 is still good :o Excuse my blindness...

trackerman wrote:
    Result from the test was 6807

there was only one similar system so it would not show the comparison result.

So how does this campare to others?
    I really need to see more detail in the result so I can see how the CPU is rated... any ideas ?

Do you have a graphics card tackerman?

• Advertisement

Yep, but it's a cheapo...
    Gainward Bliss 8500GT PCX 256MB.
    Like I said, it's not for gaming.

I probably need to get some proper overclocking going on the P5E.
    But this is not the right forum.
    I'll go make a new thread over on Tweeking and Modding.

Ray Trackerman
    DeafVision wrote:
    Do you have a graphics card tackerman?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Download Prime95 as its a CPU and memory test program and test how quick each PC can calculate Pi to 1 million places.
    Your new PC should be significantly faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ongarite wrote:
    Download Prime95 as its a CPU and memory test program and test how quick each PC can calculate Pi to 1 million places.
    Your new PC should be significantly faster.

Prime95 is a stress test program. Superpi is a benchmark, and a very outdated one at that.

Don't worry too much about benchmarks, just use the pc for a while. The core2duo is a better cpu and you will notice a difference from your old system.

That being said, you said you have overclocked your system.But have you tested to make sure it is stable? An unstable system can be very annoying to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Superpi is a benchmark, and a very outdated one at that.

lol thats soo untrue it makes me sad

its a great benchmark
    olf p4s get 1million pie in about 57 seconds

new core twos get anywhere from 16-8.9(new world record)
    if people are still using it it isnt outdated?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

papu wrote:
    lol thats soo untrue it makes me sad

its a great benchmark
    olf p4s get 1million pie in about 57 seconds

new core twos get anywhere from 16-8.9(new world record)
    if people are still using it it isnt outdated?!

SUn 9 second was broken months ago. I think they are down to high 7's now. Im not 100% sure though. But i remember reading a article on collaler.

@OP

As you can tell passmark is a load of ****e. You dont need a benchmark to tell your new pc is faster. If you cant tell the difference it means the programs you are using are not taking advantage of the hardware. And therefor you just wasted 1400€...

OK, here's an update to my "Dissapointed" post.

I managed to identify the main reason why my PC would not overclock beyone 3GHz, it's the cheap'o memory I used. Should have known that €95 for 2GB DDR2 was too good to be true (OCZ Gold). It's fine for non-overclocked PC's though.

By reducing the memory timings to 6,6,6,18 I clocked the CPU to 3.6GHz on 1.5v. Core temps went to 51 degrees under load but the noise of the fans as full belt was too much to take long term.

So good news after all, now I just need to replace my cheap'o momory with something that can take tighter timings.

I've not run PCmark05 yet but taking Anti's advice I did test Photoshop with an action that previously took 141 seconds on default BIOS settings now takes just 98 seconds, that's at least 43% faster, and in step with going from 2.4 to 3.6 GHz.... and my previous PC (P4 2.9Ghz) managed it in 270 seconds. so for me it's €1400 well spent, I'm a happy camper now.

Thanks for the help lads,

Advertisement