Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pills

Options
  • 09-06-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone use certain drugs (legal) to help concentrate/focus for studying and during the exams!!

If so could you give the name of what you use, where it can be gotten,effectiveness and the approx price.

Comments

I've always thought that it's idiotic to take pills (legal ones) near exams for the purposes of concentration. If, say, you do well, once you get to college will you be doing the same thing? You may then become dependent on them (mentally) during examination periods, which isn't a good thing.

Just eat an apple or two, or at the very least have a cup of tea/coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Unless you're a narcoleptic, suffer from SP or another sleep condition, or know someone who is, when there is an almost 0% chance that you will be able to get them. The most effective ones are only sold with a prescription from a pharmacy.
    Also they are *very* expensive - like the most common one is E15 for one 200mg pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Lots of coffee and water. Try and keep away from heavy food. They will make you feel bloated and sluggish. I tend to snack on carrots and peppers.

Keep away from these pills. They are bad news. All they do is create excessive energy which isn't actually there so your body becomes drained very quickly once the pills have lost effect. While they may increase activity they tend to reduce levels of concentration so while you make think that you are getting a lot done...nearly nothing is actually remaining.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Pro Plus are life savers

They're just 50mg caffeine pills, which means it's much easier to monitor you're intake than say with coffee. They can be gotten inmost pharmacies for about €4 for 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

While I'm an advocate of a liberal, yet sensible and educated, approach to drugs, I really don't think nootropics or concentration aids are necessary at LC level.

In any case, anything worthwhile is usually on prescription, and usually prescribed for ADHD sufferers. Apparently there's a big black market for Ritalin and Adderall being sold by ADHD sufferers in college.

Caffeine is the obvious legal one for staying awake.

Is ephedrine legal over the counter here? Even if it's not you can order it online and no one's going to stop you. Alternatively you could take a (reasonable) OD of Sudofed, which is pseudoephedrine, a structural isomer of ephedrine, but it has much less stimulant effects.

*I do not advocate the use of drugs as study aids*

• Advertisement

Keep away from these pills. They are bad news. All they do is create excessive energy which isn't actually there so your body becomes drained very quickly once the pills have lost effect. While they may increase activity they tend to reduce levels of concentration so while you make think that you are getting a lot done...nearly nothing is actually remaining.:D

The pills have nothing to do with energy.
    They increase the amount of neurotransmitters in the brain and hence increase awareness, and therefore concentration. Believe me, I have tried them.
    There are no side-effects either.

If anything the coffee is more dangerous, since it's easy to just keep drinking it and not realise that you are having too much. A friend of mine had to go see a doctor because he got a serious arrhythmia, and almost couldn't do an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

What do you's think of Red Bull. I've been advised against as you suffer a slump after a sugar intake.

Red Bull is mainly caffeine AFAIK.

Probably healthier to drink coffee or take caffeine pills, as there're all sorts of additives in Red Bull.

Get Tesco Kick instead anyway, it's much cheaper and is almost exactly the same.

Pseudoephedrine as far as I know will not give the desired improvement in concentration. As far as I'm aware plain ephedrine is not sold OTC here, and if it is you'll certainly need to consult with the pharmacist and have a good excuse. Ephedrine does however havesome negative side effects,which must be noted.

Something like Ritalin would have similar ephedral/amphetamine eeffects but with vastly reduced side effects. It's use outside of that prescribed by a doctoris illegal however.

Pseudoephedrine as far as I know will not give the desired improvement in concentration. As far as I'm aware plain ephedrine is not sold OTC here, and if it is you'll certainly need to consult with the pharmacist and have a good excuse. Ephedrine does however havesome negative side effects,which must be noted.
    Yeah, Pseudoephedrine has less of an effect on the CNS.

Coca tea would be good, pity it's illegal. You can risk ordering it from Peru online though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lets make sure we keep any discussion about drugs within the limits of the law please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Rescue remedy, its legal, its herbal and its meant to help calm nerves or something. I've been using it but yesterday was the only day I was stressed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭euwwy deuwwy

I'm using rescue remedy aswell, its suppossed to help you chillax but im not really sure if it actually works though??? Have you noticed it tastes like cheap vodka, that would make you relax too! hmmmmm suspicious (:

Yea it's about 99% alcohol!

I have my suspicions about the stuff, i'd say it's more a placebo than anything

I'm using rescue remedy aswell, its suppossed to help you chillax but im not really sure if it actually works though??? Have you noticed it tastes like cheap vodka, that would make you relax too! hmmmmm suspicious (:

If you look at the back it says its in a grape alcohol solution.
    I absolutely lol'ed when I tried it for the first time, mine tastes exactly like buckfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Yarr-Harr wrote:
    Does anyone use certain drugs (legal) to help concentrate/focus for studying and during the exams!!

If so could you give the name of what you use, where it can be gotten,effectiveness and the approx price.

You could try Ginseng, it's natural and backed by many years of use. Look for standardised extract with 4% ginsenosides and "Red" ginseng, considered superior. It's adaptogenic which essentially means it aids the body in stress coping scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Get those carbs into ya!

I wouldn't take pills and wouldn't need to use rescue remedy! Haven't been drinking much coffee lately either. Green tea all the way!

lol at rescue remedy.

I've heard Ginseng is good. But I always laugh when people say that a drug is "natural" and that this somehow makes it superior to other drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

JC 2K3 wrote:
    lol at rescue remedy.

I've heard Ginseng is good. But I always laugh when people say that a drug is "natural" and that this somehow makes it superior to other drugs.

Technically it is natural and often natural remedies have better safety profiles than their synthetic therapeutics equivalents. Of course as you say, all products be they natural or synthetic can be toxic given the right (or wrong) dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

JC 2K3 wrote:
    lol at rescue remedy.

yeah 'natural' does not mean good for you... cocaine is natural :)

oh and rescure remedy works it really calms me. but maybe its all in my head.

• Advertisement

As has been stated here, it's apparently 99% alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

JC 2K3 wrote:
    ephedrine

Watch the film CRANK ;):D

JC 2K3 wrote:
    As has been stated here, it's apparently 99% alcohol.
    Well that's a bit of an exaggeration, it'd be more along the line of a good cognac;). I'd estimate maybe 30-40%

Still, I imagine it's just a load of herbal extracts dissolved in alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 -blondie-

Anyone else been absolutley knackered lately?
    Don't take any durng (legal!!) abd I hate coffee but Ive started drinking mochas-grat for waking you up or giving you a burst of energy when studying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

No. The dietician gob****e on those "Getting it Right" podcasts said that caffeine only give a boost of energy physically, not mentally. You might feel more awake, but the mind doesn't take any more in. She could be just some fruice sales rep for all I know, but she said avoid caffeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 -blondie-

Really? Wow! Well I found it helpedme!

Mybe it as jusr me thinking it should help and therefore it did! Meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Time to reveal my little trick.

Cod liver oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

joeybloggs wrote:
    Time to reveal my little trick.

Cod liver oil.
    Seven seas? Took that as a wayne. Hated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

99% alcohol

I'd imagine thats "Red Biddy" you're on about. A heady concoction of Methylated Spirits and Red Wine. Not to sure about its positive effects on concentration but I'd imagine you'd be fairly relaxed/dead after it.

Advertisement