Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pills

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

No. The dietician gob****e on those "Getting it Right" podcasts said that caffeine only give a boost of energy physically, not mentally. You might feel more awake, but the mind doesn't take any more in. She could be just some fruice sales rep for all I know, but she said avoid caffeine.

I thought coffee had an effect on the neurotransmitters? I read an article comparing it to cocain ... I'll try find it. And it gives the adrenaline glands an aul kick

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dean-16

i just drink loads of tea and have a high energy food before you sit the exam, eg. mars bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Might sound obvious - but just rest and eat well during the exams - that or do a bit of exercise (when you can) to clear the head.
    Works much better than rescue remedies and the like I see people using, and trust me, they look a lot worse after the exam than they did at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Drugs? Whatever magic stuff they put in red bull.

I don't know if its just me, but when I went into english paper 1 I was half asleep during it, so I drank a red bull just before paper 2 and I was awake and thinking perfectly. I love this stuff. Helps mes focus so well.

[edit] And @ "rescue remedy"... Heh, might as well be using old fashioned snake oil ;)
    It did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

It should probably be noted that ADHD medecine is a terrible chance to take for an exam. As is my understanding, it doesn't exactly make you concentrate better, it just makes you unable to concentrate on anything other than what you were thinking about when it kicks in. So if you take one before you get into the exam, and just happen to be chatting with a friend as it kicks in, you may as well not sit the paper.

• Advertisement

It should probably be noted that ADHD medecine is a terrible chance to take for an exam. As is my understanding, it doesn't exactly make you concentrate better, it just makes you unable to concentrate on anything other than what you were thinking about when it kicks in. So if you take one before you get into the exam, and just happen to be chatting with a friend as it kicks in, you may as well not sit the paper.

Buuuut, if you go in wearing earplugs and fashion some sort of headboard device that holds images and cliff notes out infront of you, so one cannot help but focus on the exam...

I'm thinking something rather like a beer hat, but with more coat hangers and paper

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

JC 2K3 wrote:
    As has been stated here, it's apparently 99% alcohol.
    my bottle says - "5x dilution of flower extracts of rock rose, impatiens, clematis, star of bethlehem, cherry plum in a grape alcohol solution." doesn't say anything bout alcohol vol actually.

wikipedia - The remedies contain an infinitesimal amount of flower material in a 50:50 solution of water and brandy. Because the remedies are extremely dilute they do not have a characteristic scent or taste of the plant. Vendors state that the remedies contain the "energetic signature" of the flower, and that this can be transmitted to the user. However, controlled studies have found the flower remedies are no more effective than a placebo.

hmm I still think it helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Yeah did you hear about the Chinese students that take ritalin and protein injections to get them through exams? They have so much pressure on them from parents cos they're usually the only child. It's in their hands to uphold the family honour & get into uni!! Students have died from overdoses and stuff. Mad stuff Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

ashyle wrote:
    Yeah did you hear about the Chinese students that take ritalin and protein injections to get them through exams? They have so much pressure on them from parents cos they're usually the only child. It's in their hands to uphold the family honour & get into uni!! Students have died from overdoses and stuff. Mad stuff Ted.

The ratio of university places to applicants in China is about 1:4.
    China is insane atm, I heard a radio show about it. The students stay in hotels near the exam centers, and there parents spent the time out on the street making sure no cars come down. A student committed suicide last year because the pressure was too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

That's not true at all. Ritalin from what I hear would be the most effective thing to take, perhaps moresofor studying as opposed to during the actual exams.

It is illegal however outside of prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yeah, that sounds like you've interpreted hearsay as fact, Fallen Seraph....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

Yea it's about 99% alcohol!

I have my suspicions about the stuff, i'd say it's more a placebo than anything

i'm not sure where you are all getting your rescue remedy from but mine clearly states 'Alcohol Free' on the front..

Even if it is a placebo type drug it still works for those who believe it does... i think that caffeine is over rated i can drink 2-3 cups of coffee (caffeinated) and still be fallin asleep. it doesnt produce the same effects in everyone.. the same with rescue remedy.

^^ What he said is true. Everything effects people differently. Some people coffee works for them, some people these placebo fairy flower remedies work. ;)

Coffee just gives me a headache and makes my mind feel all clouded and I can't think. Red bull is supposedly mostly caffeine, but it does the opposite of coffee for me. Perhaps its all the sugar, or whatever the bull semen "taurine" stuff is.

pilchard wrote:
    i'm not sure where you are all getting your rescue remedy from but mine clearly states 'Alcohol Free' on the front..

Even if it is a placebo type drug it still works for those who believe it does... i think that caffeine is over rated i can drink 2-3 cups of coffee (caffeinated) and still be fallin asleep. it doesnt produce the same effects in everyone.. the same with rescue remedy.
    I've done my research, turns out the Bach Rescue Remedy, the one that comes in the yellow box is 27% alcohol, so slightly less than brandy!

The brandy is only added as a preservative apparently. It's unlikely that small amount of alcohol would have any effect anyway.

A glass of wine or a small glass of brandy would help you relax better than that remedy, if you truly are in bits and need to relax.

Mind you, you can't study after taking in alcohol since it limits your memory somewhat :D
    But again, everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, but like you only take one or two drops of the stuff. Not as though you'll be going on a session knockin back the whole feckin bottle in one go.

Even then, ~€6 for a 10ml shot...not exactly great value.

OK looks like I'm going to have to eat my words about the Rescue Remedy.

I tried it last night, out of curiosity more than anything, and while no cat died, I definitely noticed a definite calming and a feeling of almost a contentment.

So, it seems to do it's job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

yeh Rescue Remedy is pretty good, altho I'm still convinced that the placebo effect is a factor. I also use Pro Plus caffeine tabs, great for helping me remain alert. Each to their own .....

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Yeah, that sounds like you've interpreted hearsay as fact, Fallen Seraph....

Well my hearsay is from a woman who works at a school specifically for ADHD sufferers... I'm not saying I've got any intimate experience, but as sources go I'm kinda inclined to believe her.

• Advertisement

Red bull gets this mang87 through yet another day of exams awake and alert. :D

Advertisement