Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo repair/Flash BIOS? (And - is Maplin that bad?)

Options
  • 09-06-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Can I find anyone in the Republic of Ireland who would fix my motherboard by flashing the BIOS chip? The mobo screwed up the flashing and won't reflash.

It's a Foxconn; their US tech support says the mobo can't recover, and Maplin simply refused warranty because I flashed the BIOS. Even though it was a standard manufacturer BIOS. Is Maplin always so bad, and of so why do people still shop there?..

But most importantly I'm looking for someone with the right device to flash the BIOS. Preferrably in Limerick, but I can make it to any other place in the Republic if necessary. EDIT: the BIOS is a PLCC chip and is removeable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

try to get some1 with the same board/chip and do a hot flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Nobody I know has this board...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

what is the exact type of foxconn as i have one buried away and it might be suitable

661FX7MJ-RSH

Is a hot flash only possible with exactly the same mobo type?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

well no most foxcomm boards will have the same chip but the bios may be diffrent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

MichaelR wrote:
    .....Is Maplin always so bad, and of so why do people still shop there?..
    yes they are that bad and people still shop there either out of ignorance or convenience, no offense but you shopped there didn't you? why did you go to them?

most of the motherboards from maplin can be bought for less than 2/3 or even 1/2 the price online but poeple still buy from them out of convenience. to be fair you'd have no better luck with it if you had bought it online, unless it was with one of the big retailers.

you should have just told them it was a DOA and left it at that and not told them any more.

vibe666 wrote:
    yes they are that bad and people still shop there either out of ignorance or convenience, no offense but you shopped there didn't you? why did you go to them?

Two months in the country by that time. Had no credit card so online was not an option.

However the convenience point is taken. Their only competitor in Limerick on this stuff, excluding online, is apparently PC World - I don't know whether it is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have a look at these guys, you can post them the chip & they'll flash it & post it back.

http://bios-repair.co.uk/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorry, didn't meant to sound liuke i was having a pop at you, but i think everyone here must have had the sharp end of a deal with maplins at one time or another and we all still seem to go back to them from time to time, including me. :(

Advertisement