Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me....

• 09-06-2007 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

....where i might be able to pick up some white roux in Dublin?

Been looking for ages and haven't found it yet. I've tried making my own a few times but it's not quite the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Do you mean white sauce? I know what a white roux is (fat and flour mix) but do you mean you want to buy this mix, or the sauce that the mix makes?

If it is white sauce you want, you can buy it in dried form in packets in any supermarket. You can also buy Dolmio white sauce in jars which they market for lasagne.

Personally I think the shop bought variety is disgusting and the home-made version delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I mean white roux,as in:
    Roux can be used immediately to thicken a liquid that is at or below room temperature

I had it in a powder form before and i am looking to get it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You could make your own. Equal parts butter and flour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Yeah as noby said, just make it, its very easy to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

As the others would say I would make it. You can buy thickening granuals in Tesco but I have never used them

Ill be honest ( and the chefs here are going to freak ) I make my white sauce in the following fashion. ( learnt at my Mum's knee )

Knob of butter
    Milk ( FULL FAT )
    heat until quite warm ( just below boiling )
    add in a mixture of cornflour and COLD water that you have mixed seperatly( bit by bit checking consistancy)
    If the sauce isn't thick enough add some more cornflour/water mix ( I think it has a fancy name like a slate or something )
    Then bring it to a boil , stirring constantly.

Then if it's a cheese sauce add cheese etc etc etc

I never get lumps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I use Delia Smith's All-in method. Put your flour, butter and milk (cold) in the saucepan. Turn on the heat and start stirring. Simple lump free method.

Advertisement