Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Earth Dublin updates

Options
  • 09-06-2007 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Google Earth News
    Large imagery/terrain update - June 2nd, 2007

New high resolution:
    Canada: Whistler, BC; Waterloo & Toronto, Ontario; Nanaimo, BC; and Fort Saskatchewan, AB
    England: Base 50cm coverage of nearly entire country,
    Germany: Cities/Regions of Greifswald, Trier, Köln, Stuttgart, Bonn, Oldenburg, Rostock, Saarbrücken, Hamburg, Hannover, and Ritterhude
    Austria: Villach region
    France: Cities of Caen, Dijon, Metz, St Etienne, Toulouse and Rouen
    Spain: Catalonia and Valencia
    Andorra
    US: Imperial County (CA); Yellowstone National Park (WY); Galveston/Houston (TX); Peterborough (NH); Cheyenne (WY); Burke, Wake, and Cabarrus Counties (NC); Racine and Kenosha Counties (WI); Washington, DC; St Paul (MN); and the State of Alabama
    Japan: City/Regions of Kochi, Asahikawa, Koriyama, Miyazaki, Nagano, Utsunomiya, Akita, and Toyama

Large Digital Globe (60cm) update includes areas in Sudan, expanded Africa, Australia, Mexico coverage and smaller areas of coverage in Asia, Polynesia, South America, Canada, Europe, Middle East plus some interesting islands in Antarctica and Greenland.

Updated Imagery:
    Americas: Bogotá, Columbia; Mission Viejo (CA, US); Hillsborough County (FL, US)
    EU: Dublin, Ireland
    Middle East/Africa: Beirut, Lebanon and Tripoli, Libya
    Asia: Hong Kong and Manila, Philippines

Updated Terrain:
    Western US 10m, Canary Islands 10m

Pics look clearer - but dont show any M50 upgrade works. So they're not terribly recent.

Edit: Although by the looks of it, the M1 has been declassified to an unnamed road :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pics look clearer - but dont show any M50 upgrade works. So they're not terribly recent
    I'd say they are at least 2 years old. I did a scan of Dublin Airport and there have been a few infrastructural changes but none showing on Google Earth.

In my locality, currently inhabitiated houses are showing up as fields.

(Mrs Wishbone Ash must have been at home - I see her car parked outside the house.)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They have added a photography section between the M50 and the Outer Ring Road.
    (Mrs Wishbone Ash must have been at home - I see her car parked outside the house.)
    I was once asked by a very worried sounding guy if they were live as there was a strange car in his driveway. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maybe I'll be on the map next time, close but no cookie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Is there a match on in Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is the postmans bike propped against the wall too? :)

• Advertisement

Ice_Box wrote:
    Is there a match on in Croke Park?
    The stands/terraces are empty but there appears to be activity on the pitch (possibly birds?).

I'd say that the images were taken on a week-day, probably on a Monday or a Friday at around mid-day.

Is there any way of establishing the exact date?
    Stekelly wrote:
    Is the postmans bike propped against the wall too?
    :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

OK, judging from Donnybrook Bus Garage:

Pictures taken on a weekday (to few buses in the depot for a weekend) and probably between 10.30 and around 3.30 (as most of the split-shift layover buses which work peak are parked neatly at "the plantation" ).

Taken before September of 2006, possibly as early as Oct 05, but not earlier, judging by the number of buses in the new "Fleet Standard" yellow livery, compared to those in other liveries.

I don't notice any of the longer tri-axle double-decks delivered in Dec 05, so this would put it in late 2005. But I can't be sure on that, as I can only judge length relative to other buses, if if they were *all* on the road (unlikely) I could have missed them.

See, us bus geeks can be useful sometimes!

Aquavid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I find that quite impressive aquavid - now I wonder should I be worried.

The building of the apartment complex on the North Strand cinema site is not very advanced, which would put the picture quite a while ago.

Aquavid wrote:
    OK, judging from Donnybrook Bus Garage:

Pictures taken on a weekday (to few buses in the depot for a weekend) and probably between 10.30 and around 3.30 (as most of the split-shift layover buses which work peak are parked neatly at "the plantation" ).

Taken before September of 2006, possibly as early as Oct 05, but not earlier, judging by the number of buses in the new "Fleet Standard" yellow livery, compared to those in other liveries.

I don't notice any of the longer tri-axle double-decks delivered in Dec 05, so this would put it in late 2005. But I can't be sure on that, as I can only judge length relative to other buses, if if they were *all* on the road (unlikely) I could have missed them.

See, us bus geeks can be useful sometimes!

Aquavid
    I'd say the time is about 12 midday to 1 pm going by the shadows at my house.

It's either a Monday (or a Tuesday following a Bank Holiday Monday) and it's not during the summer.

The giveaway clues are the long term car parks in Dublin Airport.

The Blue is closed indicating that it's not the summer.

The green is slightly full. Now, outside of the peak summer time, the Green only opens at busy weekends/bank holiday weekends or school mid-term breaks. The dispersion of the cars indicates that it is emptying indicating that it is a Monday. (If it was filling up, the cars would be closer together).

The Red Long Term gives clues that it must have been an excessively busy weekend. Cars can be seen parkes sporadically along the grass verges near the entrance and along the road up to Y and Z. This is only allowed when the DAA are under pressure for space. The way the cars are sporadically parked again indicates a Monday/Tuesday as they would have been parked sequentially at the time of entry.

I must get a life! :D

Note that for dublin theres at least 5-6 sets of photos, so whats correct for one area, isn't correct for another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

:eek: Lads i think it is the same image but a little clear and it shows more of west dublin .Correct me if im wrong but nothing seems to be different since the older pic like the Dublin Port Tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭crushproof

The Dun Laoghaire area has been updated since the beginning of the year. The Deerhunter Pub at Glenageary Roundabout has been demolished. Also, a number of apartment schemes appear to be completed/near completed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The pic of my house is different - there is no car in the driveway. The current picture is clearer, but a tree that I removed from the garden in May last year is displayed on the image and the time of day would appear to be around midday judging by the shadows.

Just as a matter of interest, are people automatically removed from the images? There doesn't seem to be many around!

From above people look very small .Like its only your head and shoulders can be seen from above

Fool 5000 wrote:
    From above people look very small .Like its only your head and shoulders can be seen from above
    Yes, just noticed that there are loads around Nelson's Column in London. Very few in Dublin though.

It depends on the source of the image.

With Satellite photos, most imagery is to a 1m resolution, meaning you will see peoples shadows, but not the people themselves.

Aerial photogrpahy is much more likely to feature people as it is so much closer and you also need to know where to look for people - Nelson's Column or any shopping street will have lots. Others won't, in part because the people get lost in the blur between the footpath and buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Thelikefaneire

Google earth hasnt upgraded most of dublin in a very long time. Docklands station isnt even under construction in the pictures. ITs been operating for nearly 6 months! Also Drogheda and most of the rest of the Country arent even visable at all.

Also Drogheda and most of the rest of the Country arent even visable at all.
    Note, that while some intermediate layers are quite poor, some up close layers are quite detailed, much more than what the upper layers would suggest.

Funny you should say that because navan across to drogheda that just been updated! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Victor wrote:
    Note, that while some intermediate layers are quite poor, some up close layers are quite detailed, much more than what the upper layers would suggest.
    thats a handy tip, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

The update around Drogheda is still over a year old. The newest hotel in Bettystown looks like a building site and it opened June last year.

The update around Drogheda is still over a year old. The newest hotel in Bettystown looks like a building site and it opened June last year
    It was taken on the 12/11/2005

Advertisement