Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caution: Three E220 Datacard Vista Issue!!!

• 09-06-2007 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

If you are planning on buying the mobile broadband package from a 3 store beware!
    There is a big compatibility problem with vista with the firmware and softare!
    This problem is known with vista laptops but im pretty sure it goes for dekstops too.
    It works grand on XP however.

The sales people at 3 will tell you it IS vista compatible but this is bull****.
    The sales people at vodafone will tell you its not compatible with vista yet, and theyre using the same E220 datacard.
    It is a problem with vista recognising the device properly.
    It goes crazy when you plug it in, turns itself on and off repeatively.

I was up til 6 this morning trying to find a fix and found one for the 32 bit/x86 version of Vista.
    There IS no fix for the 64bit/x64 version released yet.
    This fix was issued by vodafone uk, and a foreign company called MTN.
    It is simply a firmware update and software update.
    But the problem is youll be using another companies firmware which isnt advised, but its the only way you'll get it working.
    You then have to download the drivers and software from www.three.ie

It fails to install one driver, (out of about 5) but this driver doesn not seem to affect it running the internet.
    I think it affects the text feature though.

I have contacted three to contact Huawei to make a Three Ireland branded firmware and software patch for Vista 32bit.

Another irish customer had the exact same problem and had to solve it by flashing it withMTNs firmware.

This is not recommended because it probably voids the warranty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i've installed the modem on three vista laptops without issue

• Registered Users Posts: 9 munsterjock

Hello, Munsterjock here have been trying to install 3 s modem onto my laptop with no success, I 'm told it can go with vista basic but I have vista premium ... any pointers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Vista home premium on my laptop and it installed perfectly first time and has been working perfectly ever since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

A bit off topic but whats it like?? The mobile broadband... What are the speeds, coverage like... is it worth it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 munsterjock

I just got a Dell inspiron 6400 and cannot get that modem to install on it, the modem works fine on my desktop. Can you suggest anything ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

I just got a Dell inspiron 6400 and cannot get that modem to install on it, the modem works fine on my desktop. Can you suggest anything ?
    THe only way i got it working is by flashing the firmware (the software thats inside the modem lets say) with mtns firmware.
    The link to get it is in my 2nd post.

This will probably void your warranty though.
    Better off not flashing it if you dont know what your doing.
    I used the Software and drivers that are available on 3's site.

Its strange how it works on some peoples computers and not others.

The laptop i install it on was a HP Pavillion dv6000 series.

Out of interest, were those 3 Laptops running the 64bit or 32bit version.
    it failed for me on the 32bit version.

Out of interest, were those 3 Laptops running the 64bit or 32bit version.
    it failed for me on the 32bit version.
    i'm not 100% sure tbh but i think they were the 32 bit version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

As far as I know the drivers won't run on 64bit Vista (yet?). This seems to be a general problem with the 64bit version of Vista: lack of drivers. I am sure it will be addressed over time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PunchI

Just to point out that Urban Weigl is spot on. 64-bit drivers are not yet available from Huawei or any of the providers. I'm tearing my hair out, waiting for the damn things to be released. got a new laptop with vista Ultimate, and all I can do is sit and look at it unitl the drivers come out for the 3 modem.

Just check the following links regularly over the coming 2-4 weeks, as the drivers are expected to come out soon:

http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/list.do?type=-1&id=736

Just spotted a reply to my post earlier today on the blog below, which advises that vodafone have a fix for 64-bit they'll be issuing in the coming days. Should also work for 3 modem:

http://www.mobileconnected.co.uk/2007/05/25/usb-modem-huawei-e220-on-vista-take-2/#comments

Hello, Munsterjock here have been trying to install 3 s modem onto my laptop with no success, I 'm told it can go with vista basic but I have vista premium ... any pointers ?
    If it works on one SKU of Vista it'll work on any of them.

Karsini,

your statement is only valid if they are all 32-bit versions.

That's what I was referring to anyway, variants of the same OS. I was replying to an earlier post that it only supposedly worked in Home Basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulbds

Hi, bought mine yesterday and installed ok.
    I cannot fault this little gadget and the price is fantastic. I am an occaisional visitor to Ireland and this sure beats a fixed line. I also understand that you can use it in 3 partner countries (3 like home) for no extra charge
    Paul

PunchI wrote:
    Karsini,

your statement is only valid if they are all 32-bit versions.
    The 64bit version is definitely a no anyway but....
    It fails on a lot of 32 bit versions of vista too.

The problem is the the mass storage device driver fails to install, and the card acts like its being plugged in and out every few seconds.
    The order it installs the drivers in is:

1. Mass Storage Device
    2. Huwaei modem drivers

Because it fails the first, it cannot proceed to install the 2nd driver.

The 64bit version is definitely a no anyway but....
    It fails on a lot of 32 bit versions of vista too.
    That wasn't what I was referring to either. That's not a Home Basic vs Premium vs Ultimate issue which is what I was trying to explain. Saying that something will work on Home Basic but not another variant isn't true (well Virtual PC is theoretically an exception). I didn't even take 64-bit into account since it's so insignificant for most users on here.

The 3 modem gives grief even in XP, my brother bought one and it didn't work on his XP box, the CD-ROM drive was empty. Tried copying the drivers from my laptop, he could then install it but it gave him a "Data Modem Invalid" error.

Karsini wrote:
    That wasn't what I was referring to either. That's not a Home Basic vs Premium vs Ultimate issue which is what I was trying to explain. Saying that something will work on Home Basic but not another variant isn't true (well Virtual PC is theoretically an exception). I didn't even take 64-bit into account since it's so insignificant for most users on here.

The 3 modem gives grief even in XP, my brother bought one and it didn't work on his XP box, the CD-ROM drive was empty. Tried copying the drivers from my laptop, he could then install it but it gave him a "Data Modem Invalid" error.
    Thats really annoying alright!

If they didnt cheap out on using a cd for the drivers instead, we probably would never have this problem.

I never got a reply from 3 when i emailed them about the problem.
    Told them in detail what to do, to get a 3 branded firmware patch for 3 Ireland, just like MTN's patch, which works with the 3 datacards too.
    I cant see them putting a patch on the site though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

Hello there,

I worked in a 3Store (not saying which one - though I've left) and happened across this place as I was looking for something about my phone, the K800i. Trust me, 3Store know of the Vista issue. The workaround is actually fairly simple. The problem is especially common to Dell and Toshiba laptops. What happens there is that everytime you unplug the E220 from the laptop while it's powered on, it has a habit of deleting the drivers. 3 have absolutely no idea why it's doing this. What they say is ALWAYS power the laptop off first, THEN unplug the E220. Not perfect, but works. Still, for those with Vista issues (32bit version only as it's not 64bit compatible) here's the workaround that I've used on several Vista laptops for customers. If any of this seems mildly patronising, I've just tried to explain every possible step so it'll work. My apologies.

(With The E220 Unplugged)
    1) Go into Control panel. Switch to 'Classic View'. Go to Device Manager and check if 'Huawei Mass Storage Device' is listed. If so, remove it. Do the same for 'Huawei 3G Datamodem'.

2) Still in Control Panel, go to 'Program Management' (I think that's what Vista calls it - it's the new Add/Remove programs). Search for any program related to the E220. It's usually called '3 Datacard HSDPA'. Remove it.

3) Go the Start menu and type 'msconfig' into the search box. When the 'System Configuration Utility' opens, go to the 'Startup' tab which shows all programs that open upon Vista startup. Select 'Disable All'.

4) Next, go the 'Sevices' tab. VERY IMPORTANT: Make certain that you select "Hide all Microsoft Services". Again, select 'Disable All' from the remaining list. Now, exit the 'System Configuration Utility', choosing to restart your laptop.

5) When you log into Vista, plug the E220 in using the double-headed USB cable. This gives the Datamodem a power boost. In most cases it has lit up blue after these steps. It will ask you to install the 'Huawei E220 Datamodem Drivers'. The install takes about 2 minutes. Then wait another bit until Vista tells you that 'Your device is installed and ready for use'.

6) Now, click on the '3 Datamodem HSDPA' icon on your desktop (it's a green icon with soundwave like things in it). It should then validate you USIM and 'initialise' it. Click 'Conect' to see if it's working.

7) Once you've established you can get a connection, time to re-enable everything. Hit 'Disconnect' on the software application (but do NOT remove the card). Go back into the 'System Configuration Utility' and re-enable everything. Then restart your laptop.

8) Always use the '3 Datacard HSDPA' icon (not IE) to connect to 3's HSDPA service.

Everything should then be fine. There is no need to install third-party firmware as these steps have always worked every time we've tried them. Also, to those with speed issues, the network is currently undergoing maintenance to handle demand and will be up to full speed in approximately 7-10 days. There are plans to launch a much faster version by November/December (at least 7.2 Mbp/s I've heard).

Sorry again if those steps seemed slightly obvious in 'They have the Internet on computers now?' kind of way. Just making sure I forgot nothing. Also, someone once remarked with sadness that the 'Main Man' had left 3Store Grafton Street. He's the new Assistant Manager in Henry Street. The legend. Also, have seen some people compliment 3Store staff. Cheers, it means a lot. People also might like to know that any delay with 3's Customer Service recently has been due to the fact the Call Centre was hit by a monsoon. Luckily, as far as I'm aware, none of the guys were injured (especially Rohit, Arpital and Rupina. I love those guys.)

Thanks for the post Bartron. I'm sure your customers was very please that you were able to help them out at the store.

I do have one question on Vista 64-bit. 3 told me that drivers were going to be available in about a month or so for that version. Just wondering if you had any insight into this, before you left 3?

Vodafone in the UK are advising that they will have drivers available before the middle of next week.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

No problem, just trying to help. Well, the first time it took an hour to fix as when we rang up, nobody had ever contacted 3 about the issue! But, from then on it's a doddle. Usually. :p

Well, I'm kinda still there but I've only two more days left (I just graduated from college and have a full-time job lined up you see). I actually haven't heard about that but I'll certainly ask the next time I'm in (that's tomorrow). When I get an answer I'll put it up here. Sorry I couldn't help further.

If you ever want to ring Customer Service, pop into a 3Store. We have a direct line and they'll do more with a Customer's account for us as we have the ability to email the head of Retail Operations. That, and we're super-attractive eye-candy. Obviously. Or keep retrying over the phone until Rohit, Desmond, Rupina, Arpital, Mithra, Vanesh (spelling?) answer the phone.

Congrats on the graduation and new job then!

Look forward to hearing what info is out there on the 64-bit drivers. Got myself a new laptop a few weeks ago, and all I can do at the moment is look at it, while I connect to my XP machine and surf the web.:(

thanks for the tip re customer Service too.

Cheers!

That does suck. I know the feeling "Me wanty play with new shiny thing!". That's why I stayed up until 4am when I got my new MacBook. :D

No bother. They're generally rather helpful (contrary to popular belief) but are hampered by a script and the need to meet a quota. If they can help, they will. Just remember to spell Irish place names for them ;) At least their names are interesting. ALL the guys in Scotland were called Kenny, which really freaked me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

bartron speaks the truth. follow his instructions

and i agree, rupina ( i always called her rubina) is sound. as are the guys in 3's scottish tech support.

If they can help, they will.
    the problem is if its not on their script they usually can't
    Just remember to spell Irish place names for them ;)
    to quote 3 customer care: "whats a balbriggan"
    At least their names are interesting. ALL the guys in Scotland were called Kenny, which really freaked me out.
    na kenny was just one bloke. i remember him fondly :)

Hey bartron Prime,

just wondering if you managed to squeeze any more info on vista 64-bit drivers from 3 before you finished up with them?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dragman

Bartron Prime Is dead RIGHT. I had data moden invalid all the time. And guess what i rang 3, and got no solution from tech supp. I went to Dell support and got through to Presto, €50 for a months software support and they couldnt fix the invalid modem. If everyone follows what this fellow says, its safe to say NO PROBLEMS YAHOO!! deadly buzz.:D :D:D:D
    By the way im gettin speeds from zero to 600kbps and topped 1300kbps one day Wexford town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I also had the 'DATA MODEM INVALID' error but in Win XP Pro.

So for any XP users:
    I roughly followed Bartron's guidelines. Couple of things I did different.

I did not have to touch 'msconfig' and disable any start up programs (I have alot of them disabled already).

I removed the '3 DATAModem HSDPA' program in Start\Settings\Control Panel\Add Remove Programs.

But the real problem I had was removing the driver in 'Device Manager'. My Device Manager was blank so I had to follow these instructions:

'Go to RUN type Regedt32 Then go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum With the ENUM KEY HIGHLIGHTED Click SECURITY menu that appears in the toolbar, then PERMISSIONS. (In XP you right click the key and choose permissions) You may have to ADD the group for the profile that can't see the device manager/printers/network contents. Give this group READ ONLY permission and then give SYSTEM full control. In some instances, you will need to go to ADVANCED and check reset permissions on all child objects. Click yes in the warning window and reboot. ' ... http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1118934465

Then I restarted my computer.

Open Device Manager and I found the driver in 'Universal Serial bus Controllers' with a yellow '!' beside it. Click around and you'll find it. when you double click on the correct driver the manufacturer name 'HUAWEI' will be there.

I deleted that driver, rebooted the computer and started the install again.

It takes a couple reboots to get this thing working and you have to go through the driver install rigmaroll a few times. Also windows seems to slow to a crawl. Don't do any hasty reboots if it seems to lock up, just let it sort itself out and eventually it will install.

What stopped my modem working is when I ran a dell program called 'check now' (Start\Programs\Dell Support\Check Now) to see what it did. I found out what it does, it messes up 3G modems!!!! I got confirmation on another website this it has done this to other people.

Apologies if my instructions are not entirely clear. And I accept no responsibility if you mess up your machine ;)

Advertisement