Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Big Brother use plants?

• 09-06-2007 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

With the whole Emily incident occuring at exactly the most unfortunate time is it possilbe (as has been theorised here already) that BB is using plants on their show? (To my knowledge) there's never been a racist incident in "regular" Big brother and then suddenly when the media has their knives out over this issue thanks to CBB a racist incident occurs in less than a fortnight of activity. Seems almost to defy conventional logic.

Then again perhaps Endemol is innocent and it's actually Emily Parr herself deliberatly & knowingly calling Charlie a "******" because it'll make her National news for a week.

Also my other question is were planting so would it even be possible to keep such knowledge out of the public domain? Anyway, opinions welcomed.

Are Endemol planting "hot topic" contestants in with the other players? 18 votes

Yes, Endemol deliberatly put coached players in there with a mission to cause contraversy.
    0% 0 votes
    No, but players themselves are deliberatly causing these incidents to boost their own profile.
    44% 8 votes
    No, it's just the way the game playing itself out naturally.
    55% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,364 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The grass is artificial but apparently there are real plants in the garden that the house mates have to water, so yes big brother uses plants

I don't think channel 4 are clever enough to use plant contestants/actors or do any of the stuff conspiracy theorists suggest. I do think their decision to boot her out was influenced by the last series reaction. In past years I think they wouldn't have acted so quick. If they had just given her a warning and let things play out longer in the house they probably would have got some more interesting tv viewing out of the incident.

The timing of booting her out in the middle of the night seemed well planned so they could make a full show out of the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's not that they aren't clever enough, it's that they wouldn't risk it. The press/public reaction would crucify them.

As for Emily being booted out, that's just them making arrangements. It was never likely to happen instantaneously. The shift staff call the main producers who them contact C4 and a big discussion is had undoubtedly involving C4/Endemol's lawyers and PR people...and then they have to find somewhere for Emily to stay, prepare everything for her leaving etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,364 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

BuffyBot wrote:
    It's not that they aren't clever enough, it's that they wouldn't risk it. The press/public reaction would crucify them.

As for Emily being booted out, that's just them making arrangements. It was never likely to happen instantaneously. The shift staff call the main producers who them contact C4 and a big discussion is had undoubtedly involving C4/Endemol's lawyers and PR people...and then they have to find somewhere for Emily to stay, prepare everything for her leaving etc etc.

If they were clever enough, nobody would ever find out and there would be no risk ;)

doing it at 3am, if they had been happy to stretch the thing over two nights shows they could have waited till 6am in the morning when she was awake, the way it looked to me, was they were scared of the public reaction/complaints if the incident and the removal were shown on two seperte shows 24 hours apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I think it's terrible she was removed. I agree, the word can be offensive, but I was said in a friendly context. Throwing her out simply attaches stigma to the word.

If she called someone a chink, paddy, or fag, the same would not have happened, and these words are technically just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

eolhc wrote:
    If they were clever enough, nobody would ever find out and there would be no risk ;)

doing it at 3am, if they had been happy to stretch the thing over two nights shows they could have waited till 6am in the morning when she was awake, the way it looked to me, was they were scared of the public reaction/complaints if the incident and the removal were shown on two seperte shows 24 hours apart

I think your vastly underestimating how small the media world is in the UK and how good the grapevine is. Trust me when I say that nothing like that would say secret for long.

As for waiting - not necessarily. By the time they'd discussed it with all the relevant stakeholders, I think she was removed as soon as it had been agreed. Could have been 10 pm, 3 am, 6 am - it all depended on when the incident happened and how long it would take to get in touch with all the relevant people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement