Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga craziness 2nd last games

• 09-06-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

All kicking off at the same time to stop the "bucket" being passed to teams.

Real away to Zaragoza who are a decent team and can beat Real.

20:00 Atl Madrid - Celta Vigo
    20:00 Barcelona - Espanyol
    20:00 Levante - Valencia
    20:00 Real Betis - Osasuna
    20:00 Mallorca - Sevilla
    20:00 Real Sociedad - R Santander
    20:00 Real Zaragoza - Real Madrid
    20:00 Villarreal - Athl Bilbao

Only 1 team is gauranteed to be in the same postion after tonight out of the top 7 teams :eek:

1 Real Madrid 36 22 6 8 61 37 24 72
    2 Barcelona 36 21 9 6 71 30 41 72
    3 Sevilla 36 21 7 8 64 34 30 70
    4 Valencia 36 20 5 11 52 35 17 65
    5 Real Zaragoza 36 16 10 10 52 40 12 58
    6 Atletico Madrid 36 16 9 11 42 35 7 57
    7 Villarreal 36 16 8 12 44 43 1 56

Sky shwoing rreal with goals from other games as they happen.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have to say, th egoal difference rule is stupid. Assuming Barce and Real get the same amount of points from the 2 games, it then comes down to the two games between them deciding the league. If they are goiing to turn a 38 game season into 2 games , they should have a play off. Barce have a + 17 GD adantage over Real but it means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stekelly wrote:
    Have to say, th egoal difference rule is stupid. Assuming Barce and Real get the same amount of points from the 2 games, it then comes down to the two games between them deciding the league. If they are goiing to turn a 38 game season into 2 games , they should have a play off. Barce have a + 17 GD adantage over Real but it means nothing.
    avoids match fixing where Real could win 18-0

zabbo wrote:
    avoids match fixing where Real could win 18-0

Yeah, cos that been a big issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, this season's been great for la liga. The last couple of weeks've been unreal, e.g. Madrid's comeback from 2-0 and 3-1 down to win 4-3. They'd a last minute goal the week later too to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Whats the story with Ronaldinho after his sending off? Can he play in either of the last 2 games?

I still fancy Barca to nick it. Madrid have an exceptionally tough game against Zaragoza away (i'll be keeping an eye on Pique's performance). You'd expect Barca to beat Espanyol at home, but then again, we expected them to through against Getafe but we know what happened there!

Its great to watch really, but I dont think its down to there being more quality within the second tier teams in La Liga, I think its more down to the lack of consistency and quality in performance of the top tier teams this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Whats the story with Ronaldinho after his sending off? Can he play in either of the last 2 games?

Suspended for tonight, but he's available for the final game. I think it's away, and with rumours of Ronnie on the move in the summer, he may have played his last game in front of the camp nou. [I think.]

Two big, big games tonight in Madrid - Zaragoza and Barca - Espanyol. What are the odds on Sevilla to be top after tonight? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Stekelly wrote:

Totally disagree and I want Barca to win the league. The head to head battle over the season is the best way to settle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The head to head battle over the season is the best way to settle it.

Yeh, I totally agree. I think that a league is good for determining points etc, but in terms of beating Watford by an extra goal than the other team, I don't think it's as reflective. I think the head to head way of doing things.

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, I totally agree. I think that a league is good for determining points etc, but in terms of beating Watford by an extra goal than the other team, I don't think it's as reflective. I think the head to head way of doing things.

Would you have rathered Utd's goal difference counted for nothing going into the last few games? Given the option, I'd imagine most would take what amounts to a point advantage.

If you want a head to head to decide it, then why not make it a 1 or 2 leg decider at the end.

Useing England as an example Most games between the two title runners arent going to be great and will be tight, unless they fall in the last couple of fixtures and can actually decide the title, or the league is already won by one of the teams. For the most part they are not great games becuase both teams keep it tight and would rather take a draw and maybe sneak a win over going all out for the win and getting beaten, meaning in a close run league, the title is decided by 2 largely uneventfull games. At least if it was a cup final type atmosphere or a 2 legged game, teams would be trying to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think a play-off should settle leagues if teams finish level on the same points, I don't really agree with either head-to-head or goal difference. I remember the 02/03 season when they were talking about it possibly going to goals scored between United and Arsenal because goal difference was so similar.

Anyway, I'd like to see Madrid win the league. I'd like Beckham to get something in his last season and Ruud to get one in his first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Hectic start to the Madrid game. I'd like to see them win the league to be honest. Their matches have been nothing short of amazing over the past couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Drama!

Espanyol 1-0 up against Barca

Peno now for Zaragoza

Edit: Diego Milito scores, Zaragoza 1 - 0 Madrid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

really nobody wants to win this league, the second Barca screw up Madrid screw up. Messi has just scored... what are the odds on a madrid goal before half time.

edit: wow Messi really is the new Maradona (was that hand of god mark 2!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Blatant handball from that cheating git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What are Seville and Barca's head to heads like?

Barca top at the moment.

Messi really cant stop imitating Maradona as of late... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Messi definately back at it. The similarities are uncanny

Zaragoza players are taking it in turns to injure themselves.

Barce 2-1 up , Real 1-1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ruud scores and similtaniously Messi gets a second for Barca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

real 2-1 down
    great run good finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

thank god digit-alb on the satellite, there showing the 3 games

great 2nd goal by zaragoza

damn

real madrid will probably get yet another late goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

unreal 2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

2-2 Barca too. Some finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

What a ****ing brilliant ending. Delighted Tamudo got the equaliser because if Barcelona won the league via that handball from Messi, I'd be really pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I tell you what, La Liga is just the best league in Europe. It pisses all over the EPL!

If Seville won would they have being top or did they have a worse record against Real?

Best league for competitiveness? Yes.

Best league for quality teams? No.

The top teams couldnt buy consistency lately. They are chokers when under pressure. Valencia also lost today, 3 players sent off.

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote:
    The top teams couldnt buy consistency lately. They are chokers when under pressure. Valencia also lost today, 3 players sent off.

could it be theres more quality teams and players in spanish league? everybody wants to beat the top teams. While in england some give up before the match even starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

If Seville won would they have being top or did they have a worse record against Real?

Home wins for each team when they played this season. I don't know what happens then :confused:

Compare the players from the likes of Real and Barca to those below them. There should be a huge difference between these teams but just like in Europe, these teams have underperformed extraordinarily.

Home wins for each team when they played this season. I don't know what happens then :confused:

they probably use another fair way to seperate teams, like how much money they have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sevilla gone now, ****ed up big time tonight. Its reals to lose and tbh they deserved nothing from that game not the 1st time but thats what makes champions champions.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

KdjaCL wrote:
    Sevilla gone now, ****ed up big time tonight. Its reals to lose and tbh they deserved nothing from that game not the 1st time but thats what makes champions champions.

Deserved nothing? While they didn't exactly play super stuff, the main reason they didn't win was Cesar Sanchez.

• Advertisement

ullu wrote:
    Deserved nothing? While they didn't exactly play super stuff, the main reason they didn't win was Cesar Sanchez.

Casilias made a save or 5 too. Main reason they didnt play was Aimar and D`lessandro ripping them apart. Only for Ewerthon the super fast donkey the game would have been over at half time. Real are very precise in attacking and score goals from one or 2 passes. Zara were outplaying them but lacked a foil for Milito.

kdjac

What a game, delighted for Real and Ruud especially, what a player. One more for the golden boot to draw with Totti, who can see him putting away a hattrick next week?

Easily player of the season for Real, maybe player of the season in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Great finish to both games. Would love to see Ruud get a league medal. Great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

La Liga , always exciting .

When Messi scored the first goal I just couldn't stop laughing , is he going to be found of taking cocaine next ?

I fancy Real Madrid to win next week and I think Barca will win too , but obviously it won't be enough .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

could it be theres more quality teams and players in spanish league? everybody wants to beat the top teams. While in england some give up before the match even starts.
    Yip ,in Spain every team tries to play football ,in England half of them just reckon they arent good enough so they resort to long ball stuff.
    Really enjoyed those matches tonight,great stuff.

• Advertisement

Yip ,in Spain every team tries to play football ,in England half of them just reckon they arent good enough so they resort to long ball stuff.

That's not true though, it's just the limited coverage we get we only see the really attacking teams. Hell, Valencia are not where they are because of their stylish play. I'm not saying they are ugly, but they aren't the Barcas or Arsenals of the world either.

But the style of football is I think the reason why top teams do worse, cause defenses aren't that good, and if you go at them, you can score goals. Whenever a average team plays attacking football in the premierhsip, they are rewarded. When they play ugly, they rarely do well, see Sheffield United and Watford. The problem is, in England, they just won't bloody learn their lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

RVN is a goal machine, Utd could have won CL with him.

But they might not have won the league :)

PHB wrote:
    That's not true though, it's just the limited coverage we get we only see the really attacking teams. Hell, Valencia are not where they are because of their stylish play. I'm not saying they are ugly, but they aren't the Barcas or Arsenals of the world either.

But the style of football is I think the reason why top teams do worse, cause defenses aren't that good, and if you go at them, you can score goals. Whenever a average team plays attacking football in the premierhsip, they are rewarded. When they play ugly, they rarely do well, see Sheffield United and Watford. The problem is, in England, they just won't bloody learn their lesson.

Name one central defender in the PL that could skin a player.

kdjac

Gallas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looks like Becham might be a doubt for the final game, his injured ankle again, fingers crossed his he's able to play and they win the League next Saturday, Great Game last night Ruud's the Man, Barca cheated and should be punished :)

Snake ;)

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCfWbdDsYiE

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You really couldn't make an ending like this up. This is one of the most exciting season from any league in recent memory, it really is incredible.

With the way things have gone, I wouldn't be confident betting on any of the teams doing it. It would be just typical for Real to bottle it in the next game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

You really couldn't make an ending like this up.
    course you could:rolleyes: :)

PHB wrote:
    Gallas

heheh funny hes as skillful as a bus, tbh only one CB in PL would fit into La Liga imo and thats Ferdinand. Would love to see Terry there but thats just cos i like watching car crash type things :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement