Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

*deflates with relief*!!!!!!!

You have no idea how relieved i am, I was seriously feckin crapping bricks about this exam. The only one il prob fail, now it seems definitely achievable haha!

and thanks, i was going for the middle aged housewife look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fallon54

No bother mate, Just do your best in the exam, to be honest its alot of common sense, make your point, explain it, draw a picture(not joking, huge emphasis on diagrams) and if possible make a relation to safety, they love that.

EG. Q. Name and Identify 2 kinds of dangers associated with scaffolding?

1. the risk of collapse..........etc....... solution Ensure sturdy foundation and strong structure..(little picture)
    2. Members of public could be hit by loose debris....etc....solution...use of mesh nets to trap any falling debris.

fallon54 wrote:
    EG. Q. Name and Identify 2 kinds of dangers associated with scaffolding?

1. the risk of collapse..........etc....... solution Ensure sturdy foundation and strong structure..(little picture)
    2. Members of public could be hit by loose debris....etc....solution...use of mesh nets to trap any falling debris.

Hahaha I hope that question comes up!!!

I agree alot is common sense, also lots of marks can be lost sketching. i got a B in JC art:D :D:D

Got a C in woodwork, Why oh why didnt i pick art???

If you got a C in Woodwork and a B in art, you shouldnt have any bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

just browsing but i see that u values are a big concern, it's 2 years since i did it, but try this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_value#U-value

from experience i can say that knowing how to nail this is a great help.
    best of luck

• Advertisement

Thanks J-Lord! It seems almost a gueranteed question....if i know that i can get some marks anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

Hi Lads

I presume you guys are doing the higher paper? My son is doing the lower and I see that there are only 200 marks - 4 questions in the exam.
    Has anyone out there got any tips for the lower paper? He is in a bad way.

Thanks again

Tbh I havent really...

All i kno is that both the project and practical are marked at common level.

Ord generally doesnt need as much detail...

teacher told me stairs is likely to come up in ord though....not much help but thats all i got!:confused:

Does U value come up on the ordinary level paper? If so what question would it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JimMM

just looked up for you razerhead, U-values dont come up for ordinary level students as far as i can see looking back through the papers.

in the exam, you must answer question one (which is a scale drawing)
    usually 1:2 or 1:5 for ordinary students.

you must then choose three other questions, there is a total of nine on the paper.

topics such as foundations, site tests and planning permission, concrete, brickwork, floors, windows, doors, stairs, chimney/fireplace, water systems/central heating, drylining/plaster/finishes, drainage/sewage.

obviously all of these will not come up. however each one of them has come up a number of times since the year 1992 in ordinary level construction.

hope that is some kind of help for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JimMM

check this out :D

almost fookin killed me to make, was completely stessed all of the time because of it but hey, it was worht it :)

my.php?image=1171726kq2.jpg

my.php?image=20070528nob210045za1.jpg

its a scale model (1:50) of Kanturt castle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Lads if your still worried bout construction my advice is dont be.... Its an easy enough subject.

Know your drawings and here are a few predictions ive made:

Wheelchair inclusion (bathroom and around the house)
    Converting the attic to a habitable room (dormer roof construction)
    U values (as always)
    Sunspaces (orientation towards the sun)
    Water distribution (hot and cold systems)
    Renewable energy (dont know it never come it but very plausable)
    Dampness and Moisture
    Sound insulation
    Kitchen Layout
    Restoriations to old buildings
    Buying a house

Here's how my project turned out.
    Fully working scale model of a wind turbine

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

Anyone looking for marking schemes can go to this address and select Construction Studies from the drop down menu.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=exam

As for tips I would say that those posted by nick23 are a good place to start

Cheers for that JimMM,

Fellow Constructors this is silly, nay dumb. but i have to ask...

When Q asks, draw in scale of 1:10 etc....is that for every mm draw 10mm? or vice versa??

im so screwed

Fellow Constructors this is silly, nay dumb. but i have to ask...

When Q asks, draw in scale of 1:10 etc....is that for every mm draw 10mm? or vice versa??

im so screwed

For every 10mm there are on the actual object u draw 1mm.

e.g. if a wall cavity is 300mm you draw it on your sheet as 30mm

While im here actually ivve heard that fireplace, window and roof are the most likely question 1s. Just a guess though so dont hold it against me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

THIS nearly killed me... fockin chess pieces

THIS nearly killed me... fockin chess pieces

I like it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Dumbfr3ddi3

I made such a brutal project! I attempted doing a model staircase, and a I failed spectacularly! So, on the monday of the week it was due, I started a new project, and I basically mad a box, but I did a really decent brief and I hopefully got a C on the thing. So, now I need this Theory test to get me the marks, and Im afraid to say I havnt a notion! Thanks for all the help lads...dont know where Id be if It wasnt for this thread! :D

nick23 wrote:
    For every 10mm there are on the actual object u draw 1mm.

e.g. if a wall cavity is 300mm you draw it on your sheet as 30mm

Haha thank you very much...Tomorrow is THE BIG ONE LADS!!!

So what did everyone think?

I thought it was a reasonable paper....very fair.

Disappointed wheelchair access didnt come up but got 5 complete questions done and other bits.

Overall...hopefully got the 120 marks that i needed! (Ihope):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I thought it was pretty easy. Got the 5 questions done pretty well, loads of sketching and writing. The only thing that threw me off was Q1, I wasn't sure off all the correct details for around the window opening. But I drew what I could remember and got it almost perfect.

I was counting on CS being my lowest scoring subject, but I wouldn't be suprised that if this, my project & my practical all add up to be one of my higher scoring subjects. I'm eager to find out :D

Hj

Glad they went well!:D

One threw me off, Drawing wasnt my best. Mainly drew a roof structure! Reminds me, can anyone give me a link etc of the proper detailed one?

Q2 was jus some common sense really...got most of that!:D

So glad Hot water system came up! really studied that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Are these values actually right

U-Value 1.81 or something

Heating cost per year-$666 a year

Would someone clarify please :confused:

U-value as 1.83 i think and annual cost as €664 or around that. Thats me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Scuba-steve

Can anyone tell me the name of this solutions book for construction?im just after doing my pre's and iv just realised i know nothing i could do with the solutions big time!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I'm doing Construction Studies this year and we have a really good book called Construction Studies Today.

It's pretty pricey for a school book, but it does cover everything fairly well.
    And we also have the past papers with the solutions in them. Our teacher had to order them into our school bookshop, because as far as I'm aware there hard enough to come by in bookshops, but you might be able to get some place to order it in for ya.

And just to say, I have to admit that our teacher is very good, so it's not a generic thing with all Construction teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cumonunited

Can anyone tell me the name of this solutions book for construction?im just after doing my pre's and iv just realised i know nothing i could do with the solutions big time!!!!!

Scuba-steve..........iv my construction mocks on dis monday will u tell me wat came up in ur paper im screwd...i need to spend all weekend learnin 4 it...i appreciate it man!

Advertisement