Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a Blood Doner?

• 09-06-2007 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I donated for the first time recently and was told by one of the staff of the great shortage in blood donors to meet demands.

Just wondering aswell if there are any long term affects to giving blood??

Have you been a blood donor? 197 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    59%
    BlitzkriegerQ_BallCivilian_TargetyankinlkTheWolfbytesceptreThe SweeperStarklynchiestereo_steveKaromaressemWackerNevynwintearRobertFosterjor elAlunpassive 118 votes
    I have received a donation before
    40%
    Dr_TeethPHBazezilMossy Monktony 2 toneseamusdannyd20Goodshapesuper_furryCreatureFrank GrimesWintersRabiesChad ghostalNutJobl3rianvorbisWossacksnickerpussDon1 79 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I went a few years ago and couldnt donate as I had recently got a tattoo. Been lazy and never went back. Keep meaning to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

No
    There are no long term effects of giving blood.

What I hate about giving blood are the queues. There simple isnt enough staff to handle the demand so there is no point blaming the general public. Last time I gave blood loads of people left because they were sick of waiting.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No
    Yes, but they dont always take it cos i get anaemic

oh, and im a universal donor (O neg) so my bloods good for anyone.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

No
    Think everyone eligable should have to give blood.
    I give every time i can.
    The waiting around is a pain but imagine you or someone in your family having to wait for surgery if there was no blood available.
    Every time i donate i think of it as saving someone's life and that to me is worth the hastle,
    If you havn't done it i hope this will give you something to think about.
    Also your body make's a new pint up in no time so you have new cell's fighting off infection,im never sick and i think donating has something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

No
    Made my 10th donation recently and got a nice little gift in the post :)

Always think the worst part is the prick on the finger to test for iron levels :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No
    rebel72 wrote:
    Always think the worst part is the prick on the finger to test for iron levels :eek:

People always say that but it's never bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No
    zaph wrote:
    People always say that but it's never bothered me.
    I had that done and it didn't bother me either......

Gave my first donation a few weeks ago, gonna make it a regular thing.

I was asking the nurse about why so few people donate (the IBTS site says only 3% of the population do) and she was saying that one of the main problems is travel. If you go to places like South America, South East Asia, Africa, etc., then you have to wait months before you can donate because of the risk of picking up diseases there.

There's also the whole "if you spent more than a year in the UK between 1980 and 1996", then you can't donate ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I am in Ireland but my blood isn't good enough for the Americans so I'm not allowed donate. :( (mad cow ban thingy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I wish there was an option for those who are excluded from giving blood.

A question, how do you find out what type of blood you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Stupid question but ... how do I give blood exactly? Like where do I go etc etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I am not a kebab!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In Dublin, the main clinic is at the junction of Westmoreland St and D'Olier Street - up on (I think) the 2nd floor.

I went in last year ready to give blood and couldn't because of some medication I'm on. It's actually quite a small group they can take blood from now, when you exclude the people who have lived in England, gay men, people on blood pressure and similar medication and all the other excluded groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Yep. Did it once. Fainted after. Going back next week :D

No
    You can find out here if you're eligible to give blood or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

No
    Nehpets wrote:
    Stupid question but ... how do I give blood exactly? Like where do I go etc etc?

Log on to IBTS.ie and look up locations. There are some fixed ones & then they have mobile units that travel around to different schools, halls etc.

I gave blood for the 2nd time about 3 weeks ago. Have low blood pressure though, so nearly fainted both times. I absolutely hate that sensation, so will probably wait a while b4 I go again. Before I gave blood, it was the needle I dreaded, but now its the half an hour afterwards. They keep you ages if they think you might faint, so not good if you're in a hurry.
    Happy I can donate though, everyone should try donate if they're eligible.

No
    Make sure you eat properly before you go as it reduces the risk of fainting.

No
    Do you still have the option of a glass of Guinness afterwards? (I only take tea so I cant recall what else they give you now)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

No
    yes i did it, but only the once, as i made a complete tit of myself.

because being the woss that i am i nearly passed out half way through, cause when i looked over at the bottle full of blood i started getting queasy and the nurses stopped the procedure.

i just have to toughen up a bit i think:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

No
    KtK wrote:
    Do you still have the option of a glass of Guinness afterwards? (I only take tea so I cant recall what else they give you now)

ya they still have guinness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

spurious wrote:
    In Dublin, the main clinic is at the junction of Westmoreland St and D'Olier Street - up on (I think) the 2nd floor.

I went in last year ready to give blood and couldn't because of some medication I'm on. It's actually quite a small group they can take blood from now, when you exclude the people who have lived in England, gay men, people on blood pressure and similar medication and all the other excluded groups.

actually its only if you had gay sex (with or without a condom) so if your gay and a virgin you can give blood all you like.

i plan to give blood when im old enough to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm 'anti-anaemic' to put it simply, a genetic disorder that is quite cool. So yeah, donate.

No
    Ye can only donate every 3 months apparantly. It takes that long for your blood to..... something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Ice_Box wrote:
    There are no long term effects of giving blood.

What I hate about giving blood are the queues. There simple isnt enough staff to handle the demand so there is no point blaming the general public. Last time I gave blood loads of people left because they were sick of waiting.

Agreed, I went to give blood to a mobile clinic before near where I live. It was about 8pm and they said there would be a 2 hour wait. So I said i'd go home and come back but was told they wouldn't admit people after 9pm so i left it. Figured they obviously weren't as desperate as they make out for donations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

No
    dont it 5 or 6 times about 6-7 years ago, got a piercing and couldent and never went back, it was the waiting around that annoyed me the most, if they are that desperate why not have a service in a hospital where you can go at anytime night or day, and as for running out, that aint gona happen, they buy it in when they run low iirc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I know they won't take mine for multiple reasons so I've never gone to the bother of offering it to them, I like the idea of free Guinness though. Had a few pints taken for some drug study or something I years ago though but never got any free drink after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

No
    #Elites wrote:
    why cant gays donate blood?

:rolleyes: ......... would you like to catch "Gay" after a transfusion........ *

* yabada yabada joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

No
    I tried to give once, but when the nurse inserted the needle, it split my vein nearly the length of my arm! :eek: A doctor had to be called over and I had to wear a pressure bandage from my wrist to my elbow for a couple of weeks! But even so, I've oficially donated. Must try again soon.
    spurious wrote:
    It's actually quite a small group they can take blood from now, when you exclude the people who have lived in England, gay men, people on blood pressure and similar medication and all the other excluded groups.

I don't think blood pressure or its medication makes you ineligible to donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

G&T wrote:

Should have to? No way, man. I don't gve blood, I can be harvested for whatever they want once I die, would probably even donate a kidney whle alive but just too much of a wuss when it comes to blood. Even reading this thread make me feel queasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

No
    G&T wrote:

Sure why not take a kidney while they're at it, we can do fine with one

I've donated a fair few times, used to try to do it every 3 months but haven't had the time lately, think I tried on the last bank holiday but they were closed. Will defo try over the next couple of weeks

No
    Ahh come on! I wouldn't advocate making it compulsary, but being afraid of needles or blood is a bit of a silly reason not to donate if you're eligible!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No
    Yes, every now and then (when in Ireland, but the USA will not allow me to...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

DaveMcG wrote:
    but being afraid of needles or blood is a bit of a silly reason not to donate if you're eligible!

I know it's silly but I'm afraid my mind is made up. My choice

No
    A needle phobia is not silly. Its a big deal if you have one.

But for anyone who is slightly squeamish or uncertain.

You can look away.
    The blood is collected below you where you usually cant see it.
    After the initial jab, you dont feel much of anything.
    They give you tea and biccies and make a fuss of you.
    The nurses are hawt :)
    You get to save lives without doing feck all.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No
    Used to donate plasma but stopped a while ago.
    Would like to start again actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

No
    i give blood as often as i can, never know when you might be the one needing to recieve a transfusion. i think its grand apart from the iron test which stings like hell. the view from cafe on westmoreland street down o connell street is worth a pint of blood alone

No
    KtK wrote:
    A needle phobia is not silly. Its a big deal if you have one.

Of course it's a big deal to the person with the phobia, just like flying is to someone with that particular fear, but if you need to (or more importantly, want to), you could do it.

But unless you need the blood it's not top of your agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

No
    Went a few months back to donate and wasn't allowed to because i suffer form migraines, i was really disappointed. My dad's been donating for years and i used to love going down when he gave blood, hmmmm free crisps and biscuits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No
    #Elites wrote:
    why cant gays donate blood?

thats a bit stupid...its not like straight people are any different

Probably that the ibts regard them as having a higher risk of having infected blood. Thats not the only limitation., You can never donate if youve been to prison either, or had sex with a prostitute.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Went a few months back to donate and wasn't allowed to because i suffer form migraines, i was really disappointed. My dad's been donating for years and i used to love going down when he gave blood, hmmmm free crisps and biscuits

I'm the same (migraine) tried to donate a few months ago back in college but apparently the two kinds of medication I'm on mean I can never donate. My aunt works for IBTS and she's always reminding us to give blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I can't, I'm under the minimum weight. I'll do it when I'm fatter...used to faint every single blood test ever, but I'd do it if I had a bottle of Lucozade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Not allowed to due to medical condition,
    I do volunteer at the centres giving out drinks etc after

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ineligible due to a medical condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I can not give blood due to a medical condition. When I recently had major life saving surgery I recieved 6 units of blood in total - thank you to all those wonderful people who donate blood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

BendiBus wrote:
    I don't think blood pressure or its medication makes you ineligible to donate.

The medication certainly does. I think it was the ACE inhibitor was the one on her list, or it might have also been the beta-blocker. I was quite surprised as I thought they split the blood into its constituent parts but apparently if they do, it makes no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Blood doner? I though they used lamb traditionally, must be a new
    trend in Abrakebabra :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

No
    I became a donor recently, its no trouble at all giving blood. Although I did feel a bit light headed as I donated but that was only because I was nervous and thinking about all the things that could go wrong(hitting an artery etc.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

No
    i have needle phobia too.....as a kid i used to hate it when my mother did the knitting....:D ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I can't donate in Ireland cos I was bor in the UK and you have some law about nt being able to donate from such and such a year which I fall into. Having said that I'm in the UK now and I still can't bring myself to donate. Something makes me freak out about giving my blood away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

No
    Yup give it as often as they'll take (had a few rejections for low iron). Figure i can give it and someone has too and i dont have any issues with needles or anything. So all good!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement