Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a Blood Doner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I was a regular donor in Ireland and when I moved to France I wanted to support my adopted community but they would not let me. Beacuse I lived in Ireland between certain dates ( mad cow years in Britain) I am now officially a leper. Connards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Not allowed to give blood because of eczema/hay fever- in case I have an allergic reaction or something. I'd like to though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I have received a donation before
    Not allowed, too british

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

No
    i fainted after last time, wont do it since

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

not allowed, lived in uk as a baby and was given alot of blood as a infant... tho probably wouldnt anyway, dont like needles or blood...unless its saving me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

No
    Its such an important thing to do - I try and donate every couple of months. I'm squeamish and hate the process, but always think its worth it as you never know when someone you love or you yourself might need the blood yourself. I feel it would be really selfish of me not to do it just because its slightly uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm always grateful for people that have donated blood as I wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for them.

My sister went to donate a while ago but they had to turn her away cause they couldn't get any out of her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Don't even know my blood type tbh - but always something I'v been meaning to - but I have an organ donor card ... god forbid anything did happen to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    My sister went to donate a while ago but they had to turn her away cause they couldn't get any out of her :)

:confused: as in they couldn't get a proper vein to show up? - I'm confused ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

ThatGuy wrote:
    :confused: as in they couldn't get a proper vein to show up? - I'm confused ...

Yeah exactly. She came home full of bruises where they tried to put the needle :D

She went back a few weeks later and they finally found a proper vein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

No
    Used to donate regularly when I lived in Scotland but not any more due to the ban. I would have been happier if they could have given me a guarantee that the blood I was donating would stay within the NHS rather than being sold to private healthcare as I don't like the idea of someone profiting from my donation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

So what exactly happens? Do they test the blood first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No
    They do a short interview thing where they ask you if you suck d*ck, do drugs, etc. Then they prick your finger a tiny bit and smear your blood onto some sort of panel that's attached to a computer. I think this tests the iron content. Then you wait a while until you're called to a bed which you lie on and a nurse attaches the needle to your arm. Then an assistant (not a nurse) sits with you until the bag is full, when she takes out the needle. Then you've to wait for 15 minutes drinking minerals and eating crisps. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

It's also worth sticking your name on the bone marrow donor registry - e.g. it may be possible to help people with leukaemia. It's possible to be a potential bone marrow donor even if you're not allowed to give blood - I'm on the register but I can't give blood due to having lived in the UK in the '90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

No
    I tried to give platelets, but my count is too low. :(

Last time I donated blood was in college just before a lecture. I left the clinic way too early, and I tripped and fell up a stairs because I felt so light headed.

Lesson: Always stay for the free food. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Gauge wrote:
    Not allowed to give blood because of eczema/hay fever- in case I have an allergic reaction or something. I'd like to though :(

Really? Damn I'm hayfever central all summer. Whats the reaction you could get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

the view from cafe on westmoreland street down o connell street is worth a pint of blood alone[/QUOTE

Couldn't agree more!! It really is a great view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No
    Nehpets wrote:
    So what exactly happens? Do they test the blood first?

On your first time it is given a test in a lab and then you are sent out a card informing you of your blood group. If your blood is acceptable it is sold to hospitals ( about €300 ) and used as needed.

However, if you are a blood donor and require blood at some stage you dont not have to pay for the blood. That is a good incentive to donate...and the free guinness and crisps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

No
    DaveMcG wrote:
    Ye can only donate every 3 months apparantly. It takes that long for your blood to..... something.

But you can donate platelets every month! (you have to have donated blood at least once first though). Platelets are in very high demand, because they have such a short shelf life (5-7 days, depending on the bag they were drawn into) whereas blood has a shelf life of 35 days. Although we make platelets from blood donations too, so it works out. But we always need apheresis platelet donors! :) The clinic is the the National Blood Centre beside St James's Hospital. It's not great times-wise though - the "late" evenings are only til 6pm (last donor arrives 6pm like), which is really only feasible if you work nearby. Though many employers allow you time off to donate.

And for those smart and cunning amongst you who will have noted the "we" (and because I have vague memories of a controversial thread talking about people coming clean with vested interests) I work in the laboratories of the IBTS, in direct contact with the hospitals who need the blood, and I am thrilled skinny to see so much positive donation stories here. Thank you all of you :)

Right now we are pretty low, and during the summer is always a bad time for blood shortages (everyone travelling) so the more people who donate - and better, donate regularly - the better.

No
    oleras wrote:
    dont it 5 or 6 times about 6-7 years ago, got a piercing and couldent and never went back, it was the waiting around that annoyed me the most, if they are that desperate why not have a service in a hospital where you can go at anytime night or day, and as for running out, that aint gona happen, they buy it in when they run low iirc.

That's not the case.

On very rare occasions blood is requested from the International Frozen Blood Banks but only if there is a patient with a very rare blood type. Blood is not "bought in" in regular cases. And all too often hospitals have to be told "No, you can't have that blood/platelets because there isn't any in stock". Believe me, running out is a real possibility, and happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I donate, but have to do it here in the UK (i'm in college here) as i lived in the UK as a child before moving to Ireland. I have a relatively rare group (A rhesus negative) so i give blood as often as i can as if anything happens to me i would like to know blood would be available to me.....i went travelling for a year and when i came to donate i had to wait three months and then have a malarial anti-body screen, but i got the all clear (yey!) and am off donating now. On my 6th donation and have recently gotten a new card giving me a 'regular donor' stratus ;)

I wanted to donate platelets but stupid me decided i would go on a diet, so am now below 11stone (only just!!) so am excluded from that...don't understand why though, surely it should be based on healthy weight ranges for your height? I'm 5'8, so just under 11stone isn't bad at all.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

No
    excuse my ignorance..but...what exactly is a platelet??

No
    If my secondary school biology serves me correctly it's one of the components of your blood that is used for clotting it and forming scabs when you get a cut (the other components being red blood cells, which carry O2, and white blood cells, which fight bacteria). Not sure who'd need platelet transfusions, possibly haemophiliacs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

No
    Gauge wrote:

Thats weird. I have both of them & I can donate. Thats the only box I tick on the form & they say its fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No
    microgirl wrote:
    But you can donate platelets every month! (you have to have donated blood at least once first though). Platelets are in very high demand, because they have such a short shelf life (5-7 days, depending on the bag they were drawn into) whereas blood has a shelf life of 35 days. Although we make platelets from blood donations too, so it works out. But we always need apheresis platelet donors! :) The clinic is the the National Blood Centre beside St James's Hospital.
    Is it only at the Blood Centre that you can donate platelets? I donate every 3 months, full blood, when I get a letter, and text and sometimes a phone call. O- here too so they'd probably prefer the full blood to the platelets. Just made donation number 30 two weeks ago, didn't realise it was that many already.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

anybody know why you have to leave it 3 months between transfusions? I thought the amount of blood removed reproduced itself within 8 hours or so.....:confused:

I think for people who are going in for major scheduled surgery (hip replacements, heart bypass and other things) you should have some form of system where in the weeks before surgery you should have to donate a set amount of your own blood that is put away exclusively for you in case you need it during your surgery....if not, it can be passed on to somebody else in an emergency.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No
    I do it more often if I could there while the place is open.

In the old job it was very hard. In a new job and its not so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No
    Yeah, I donate myself. New before I was 18 that I was going to do it. First time was fine, second time was after school, and convinced some others to tag along. Pity only one of them actually went through with the donation. Then he collapsed:eek: Such a good friend, aren't I? Only had the chance to donate twice, and have done so, and will try and donate everytie. Pity I'm at that age where I think a tatoo is cool, and would think about getting one.

No
    You can donate again 6 months after you get a tattoo, so don't worry bout it. You'd hardly be expected to structure your life around donating blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

No
    i donate platlets....i love doing it, you feel so good about it and the staff are all so nice to you, they act like you just save a bunch of kittens from hitler.

(and you get to chill for an hour and watch a dvd :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

i can't give blood, cos I'm a diabetic. I went in to see if I could and they threw holy water & garlic at me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

No
    I donated for the first time a couple of months ago. Wanted to do it for a couple of years but I was always sick or away or something when the guys came around. My father's done it for years and my brother does it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

No
    I started donating last summer and I try and do it every 3 months now, when possible. I have A positive blood so I feel bad if I don't donate cause their A positive stocks are always really low. TBH I don't enjoy the experience because apparently my veins are all deep and small which makes it difficult to donate so the alarm always ends up going off (not enough blood flowing out). I feel great afterwards though so it's worth the uncomfortable feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

No
    I have bad veins too so I've had to leave several times after the doctors couldn't get a vein. I've almost fainted a few times too (not nice) but i don't mind needles at all. Must go back soon and try again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

No
    I go when I can. In fairness its not that much bother. When you consider you could be saving someones life, sitting in a queue for an hour or two doesn't seem so bad. Bring a paper or book to pass the time. If it still seems like too much trouble there's something really wrong with your priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

No
    I'm A- and have donated 8 times. Would have been 9 except my iron was too low the last time. It makes me feel good because I'm told its not a common blood type. I'm afraid of needles too but find that, if i go regularly, I'm not nearly as scared. If I leave it for a while without donating, the thought of the needle freaks me out. I'm due again from july 3rd and getting a tattoo on the 7th, and heading to america in september, so my bans should overlap and i'll be donating again in the new year hopefully.

I'm also on the bone marrow register, that'll be fun if I'm ever called! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No
    flossie wrote:
    anybody know why you have to leave it 3 months between transfusions? I thought the amount of blood removed reproduced itself within 8 hours or so.....:confused:
    Plasma volumes will return to normal in around 24 hours, while red blood cells are replaced by bone marrow into the circulatory system within about 3-5 weeks, and lost iron replaced over 6-8 weeks. Donors are eligible to donate whole blood approximately eight to twelve weeks after the previous donation, in Ireland the IBTS make you wait 12 weeks to be safe.
    I think for people who are going in for major scheduled surgery (hip replacements, heart bypass and other things) you should have some form of system where in the weeks before surgery you should have to donate a set amount of your own blood that is put away exclusively for you in case you need it during your surgery....if not, it can be passed on to somebody else in an emergency.
    Taking blood from sick people would probably be a very bad idea. With a shelf life of about 35 days, the patient would just about have recovered from a 1 pint donation. Going into an operation already down on blood probably wouldn't be the best start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

No
    Donated blood last July, had to wait until October to do it again, then got caught up in Christmas exams and Christmas. Couldn't donate in January as I went to America and you have to wait a certain time after you come back. Then was sick til mid April so no donation there, then was doing exams again. Really hope to do it again soon but I felt very funny for two days afterwards, almost like I was drunk, and had headaches, etc so need some time to be able to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

No
    I too am a platelets donor. Go once a month.
    The staff there are really cool and very friendly.
    It always makes you feel good when your told that your platelets
    will be used to help new born babies with Cancer.
    Can honestly tell you that it makes my day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

No
    It is exactly three months since I've donated, so I'll be going after work today. It will be my fourth time doing it, but I now do it regularly.
    I don't get any of the satisfaction from it that other people seem to, so I'm not entirely sure why I do it. The second time I went they made a mess of spiking me and blood must have leaked under my skin becuase the inside of my forearm went all purple. I looked like a junkie. Didn't stop me from going back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Nope, had the butt secks, gawd forbid I should spread meh ghey to the general populous. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Quick Ceist on the Platelets : do they take any longer to recover from than giving blood and would the process leave you feeling jaded after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

No
    DaBreno wrote:
    Quick Ceist on the Platelets : do they take any longer to recover from than giving blood and would the process leave you feeling jaded after?

Personally NO and No.
    You can donate platelets Monthly.( Blood is 3 monthly)
    Have never felt tired or rundown afterwards.
    Takes a bit longer to donate though.
    Depending on the donation ( They will ask for a single or a double donation) depending on your platelet levels and how much time you have to spare.

Chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

No
    azezil wrote:
    Nope, had the butt secks, gawd forbid I should spread meh ghey to the general populous. :rolleyes:

Think its ****e you cant donate,
    With all the tests they run I dont understand why you should be excluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

cant donate,had jaundice when i was 13.....so rules are i cant! id like to though, just like id like to do a lot of things that "the man" says i cant :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

They wont take my unbelievably anaemic blood. Not to mention I cause a scene by vomiting and/or fainting if I see a syringe coming for me.

No
    DaveMcG wrote:
    If my secondary school biology serves me correctly it's one of the components of your blood that is used for clotting it and forming scabs when you get a cut (the other components being red blood cells, which carry O2, and white blood cells, which fight bacteria). Not sure who'd need platelet transfusions, possibly haemophiliacs.

Yup, is important for coagulation. People who need platelet transfusions are leukaemics and people with other haematological malignancies, and people receiving chemotherapy which destroys the platelets. Also people undergoing massive transfusion or seriously major surgery may need platelets to stop bleeding, and there are a few medical conditions that cause platelets to be consumed rapidly.

Mostly though it's cancer patients.

No
    jor el wrote:
    Is it only at the Blood Centre that you can donate platelets? I donate every 3 months, full blood, when I get a letter, and text and sometimes a phone call. O- here too so they'd probably prefer the full blood to the platelets. Just made donation number 30 two weeks ago, didn't realise it was that many already.

30? Wow. Impressed :)

Yeah, the only clinic with the apheresis machines (special machines for taking the platelets out of the blood and sending the rest of the blood back in) is in the NBC. But if you're O neg then yeah, donating blood is probably better as the platelets in the donation can be used too.

No
    flossie wrote:

Nope, the *volume* is replaced that quickly, but that's just plasma. It takes longer to replace all the blood cells, although not 3 months. I believe in some other countries you can donate blood every 2 months. But it is for the health of the donor that that delay is in place.

They do, it's called Autologous Donation. But the thing is that 1) many of such patients are elderly and may not be physically in a position to donate - they may be anaemic and not have the blood to spare. 2) Red cells only have a 35 day shelf life, so you can't donate too far in advance which come to 3) you can't donate pints and pints over a period of five weeks. At most really all you could donate autologously is two units. What most hospitals do for surgery like that is operate a cell salvage system where the blood lost during the surgery is collected, cleaned up, and pumped back in.

However, there is no way whatsoever that that blood could be used for *anyone* else in an emergency. Autologous donors don't go through the same screening process - obviously, since the blood is only going to be given to them and they can't transmit any diseases to themselves :) Most wouldn't be eligible to donate under normal conditions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

azezil wrote:

I've had that too, but they never asked me cos I'm a laydee.
    A ghey one too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement