Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a Blood Doner?

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No
    Give every 3 months, though iron levels weren't good enough last twice :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No
    Thaedydal wrote:
    I really don't understand why they can't have blood donation clincs in all the hospitals and why they can't open for a few hours on a saturday even once a fecking month.
    I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I have received a donation before
    No, but I do intend on donating blood at some stage. The last oppertuinity I got I was hung over big time. I dont think the likely recipient would appreciate that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I have quite rare blood (Ab Pos = 2% of the population). People with Ab blood are the universal acceptors so I receive any blood type (as long as it's positive, I think). Even so, I try to donate regularly as I think they prefer to use type specific and so that my blood can be given to AB people and then the other blood types can be used on other people. Every time i go down though I don't have enough iron. I've even taken thsoe special spatonic iron things the week. I've kind of given up at this stage. I would do it more but I was told that once you can't give for that reson you have to wait three months until you can try again. Seems a bit of a waste tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Nope. Due to my antics in Germany at the World Cup I have to wait for a year!! :rolleyes: :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Don1 wrote:
    Nope. Due to my antics in Germany at the World Cup I have to wait for a year!! :rolleyes: :o

Was he worth it?

OOh, should have really quantified "antics". Left myself wide open if you'll pardon the pun.

She was worth it. All clear so far! :P

P.S. I do not condone those kinds of activities but once the outcome is positive (or not in some cases....) wooooo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

wow, that's cool. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Although I just noticed the spelling of the thread title.
    I prefer beef or chicken rather than blood tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No
    Don1 wrote:
    OOh, should have really quantified "antics". Left myself wide open if you'll pardon the pun.

She was worth it. All clear so far! :P

P.S. I do not condone those kinds of activities but once the outcome is positive (or not in some cases....) wooooo!!

Way too much innuendo in that post mate :p

Inyourendo.....

• Advertisement

It's the way I tell em. Meant it all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

Can you ever give blood if you have a tattoo or is there a period after which it is ok to donate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No
    iosfra wrote:
    Can you ever give blood if you have a tattoo or is there a period after which it is ok to donate?
    You can donate after 6 months :)

http://www.ibts.ie/docs/BT%20309-8.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

No
    Twentieth donation last month. Don't I get anything for it? I got a lapel pin after 10 donations but I don't wear a sports-jacket to wear it on.

I won't be giving for a while to come though after being bitten... just as a precaution.

What annoys me though is that I have attempted to donate far more than 20 times but my iron-count yo-yo's up and down. It's bloody annoying!

Did you know that if you donate platelets you can donate once a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

No
    I often found the staff in the then BTSB to be incompetent nincompoops, from the girl who had an enormous rock on her ring finger, yet had trouble getting the rubber glove on, then getting the rubber glove off. I felt like saying to her " listen luv, would you not be better off leaving your engagement ring OFF? It's interfering with your work."

I gave about 23 times and was talking to the doc, saying my arm always hurts a bit when the needle goes in. "ah, she says, we have an anaesthetic we can use on you?" "can you?" sez I. "yeah, sure, no bother! just ask anytime you come in". So the next three times got the anaesthetic spray. The time after that, I asked for the spray. "oh we don't do that anymore!" oh ffs!

I've given blood in France, Japan, USA, Canada, so I've a good experience of the different working methods. (had to almost insist they take my blood in Japan)

But for all the time they used say, "sit there Mr. t and keep your arm bent/your finger pressed down hard.

When I gave blood in France and went to keep my arm bent, they were up in arms (pun intended!) and told me to keep it straight.

Nowadays they insist you keep it straight. What about all the years of insisting it be kept bent!?

And if you go to D'Olier St., what do you do immediately after donating some blood. Yes, climb these six steps here sir to get your cup of coffee. yet they tell you to do nothing strenous! Always made me laugh.

Mespil road was a good spot for looking out at the canal. Didn't fancy looking at traffic on O'Connell Street.

If you get to 50 donations you get a free dinner in the Burlington Hotel at Christmas. Did that 2 years ago. I got another last Christmas, don't know why as I hadn't reached 100 yet.

yeah, you can give platelets every month. And you can give doubles and triples and it adds to your total. Kinda pointless giving singles. I've been giving doubles for the last couple of years, so decided recently to give trebles, in order to get to 100 by October and me free dinner at Christmas!!!

Also registered for the bone marrow transplant, AGES ago, I think when D'Olier st opened up first. Got a call about 18 months ago and was asked in for an interview. Then spouse was also asked in for a combi interview. Serious enough. It came down to me and some other person. Suppose they picked the other person, cos they never got back to me to confirm details.
    Was listening to Mooney this afternoon and that ... 'girl assistant' had a report about a bone marrow donor and a Czech recipient.(coulda been Slovak) but they were firm friends from the operation, 15 years ago. I was surprised cos they told me it was absolutely forbidden for each party to ever make contact. Saw it recently on er, and said to meself, that's unethical, aswell as Parminder Nagra having her flowing locks down during operations, OT I know, sorry.

But the bone marrow is quite a commitment, they take about 1L or so from your bones, by 10ml to 15ml injections, so that could be 100 injections into the base of your back. Yeah, a commitment alright. But it definitely is a life saving procedure. The recipient has all their bonemarrow 'burned off' by radiation, or some such procedure, in order to receive yours.

So was looking forward to getting to triple digits, when I get a notice that I've to get a camera shoved where the sun don't shine, so that'll put me back 6 months! Was looking forward to me Turkey and Ham as mrs is not Irish nor Christian and doesn't do T&H at that time of year! I know I could do it meself!!!

But sweet mother of jesus, what annoys me most is that you fill out the questionaire, then walk 10m and they ask you the same fcuking questions you just answered. Next time I'll leave them all unticked and go through it with the nurse there and then, once.

Oh the coffee is good and the chocolate cakes are free, you could fry an egg on the stones if you could find an egg.

No, no they're a good lot in St. James, I have to say. First name terms at last, though they can cut back on the questions about my behaviour more than 4 weeks, i see them every month!

Advertisement