Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Money Frequently From Uk To Eire

Options
  • 09-06-2007 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

As the title suggests can anyone offer a cheap way of transferring money from uk to ireland ? Have recently moved over to uk but still have family over here temporarily , get paid weekly and so want to transfer/post money over to the wife and kids on that basis.

Was originally thinking of Banker's Draft but that costs about £20 this side and it takes up to a week to order the damn thing :mad:
    Then Western Union but again that costs the earth , so ended up just stuffing the cash into a card and posting it over , registered of course.

Was thinking do any of the online banks in such a way i can lodge money into the account here and she can withdraw money from an atm on the other side ? ie. banks such as Rabo or Egg maybe ?

Or is there a cheaper and easier way that i am overlooking ?

Quantities we're talking about is a couple hundered pounds.

Thanks.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The two options that spring to mind are

a) getting a second account of some kind in the UK with an ATM card in your name and then giving her that card/PIN.

b) is transferring from your UK account via PayPal to her account in Ireland

Both will cost you in terms of fees though, although if you opened "her" account in Nationwide they don't charge ATM fees for withdrawals abroad. I guess you have to weigh up the hassle vs how long "temporarily" is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If you open an account with Nationwide in the UK and send her the ATM card she can withdraw fee free in Ireland. AFAIK Nationwide are still the only bank who don't charge their customers for using their ATM cards abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

My family often send small gifts for my kids in the form of standard sterling cheques and I pay them into my BOI current account and incur no fees. The funny thing is that if I try to lodge sterling (cash) I do get charged fees.

It might be worth experimenting with a small cheque to see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well sterling cheques do take like 15 working days to clear. I'd have thought FX commission would be deducted automatically from it when converting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Bank transfer is probably the cheapest and instead of doing it weekly, do it monthly instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Sangre wrote:
    Well sterling cheques do take like 15 working days to clear. I'd have thought FX commission would be deducted automatically from it when converting it.
    My branch credits the account straight away and there are no FX charges. Its as if they treat them like travellers cheques. The amounts are never more than £150 I don't know how they would react to larger amounts. If they are getting it wrong I'm not going to tell them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

delos wrote:
    My branch credits the account straight away and there are no FX charges. Its as if they treat them like travellers cheques. The amounts are never more than £150 I don't know how they would react to larger amounts. If they are getting it wrong I'm not going to tell them :)

The FX fees would be calculated when converting the amount so you'd never know what they are - or if there are any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Thats what I was trying to say. The conversion rate includings commission so there is no separate FX charge appearing on your account.

Advertisement