Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for a mattress?

Options
  • 09-06-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Don't know where else to post this so here I am.

Can anyone tell me anything about buying a mattress? I went looking today in around four or five different places, and mattresses are going for anything between €150 - €2000. I really haven't a clue about how much I should be spending on one - although yes I know you spend a third of your life lying on one, so do you get the dearest you can afford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I know you spend a third of your life lying on one, so do you get the dearest you can afford?

I'd say yes to that one - obviously try it out to make sure it's hard \ soft enough for your personal comfort but I'd spend as much as I could afford on one ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As a rule Id say the more you spend the better its going to be. And do what a lot of us irish are too shy to do. Lie down on the thing for a few minutes, dont just sit on it and bounce!

I found this link which might help you:

how to buy a bed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have to agree with the other posters, you get what you pay for. Because you can't really see what you are buying, go to a reputable shop and as the others say, try the mattress. Most places will try and sell you a full bed - base and mattress. If you have a sprung base I would say don't buy a mattress for it, buy a full bed. You could ask for advice on that though in the shop. If you have a solid base buy a good mattress that is demonstrated on a solid base. Don't put a new mattress on an old sprung base.

My own opinion is that there is a lot of difference between a €150 mattress and one costing €800 or so, but that there wouldn't be the same dramatic difference between one costing €800 and €2000. You are supposed to change them every 8 to 10 years (:D as if!) and we decided to go for the €800 - €1000 bracket the last time we bought one.

Edit: Just read the 'how to buy a bed' link - what a great site, all you need to know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Thanks for the replies and the link.

Memory foam seems to be recommended by many - like the one I had my eye on to day (€800), but on checking out a few sites I've heard people say that they trap moisture or something and that they're possibly unsanitary?
    They're quite a different experience to what I'd be used to but they seem to be recommended as the best for your body.
    I might try and check out a few more places, then narrow down the search and see if I can get the same one online any cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

you can probably buy a memory foam topper for your bed which "may" be easier to clean than a memory foam matteress if that's the way you want to go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I found you get damn good spinal care ones for roughly 450-500 mark from a brand name e.g. odearest. I paid that amount and very happy with it. Though my spare room cost about 250 and is as comfortable, there was cheaper but was advised away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Can anyone tell me anything about buying a mattress? I went looking today in around four or five different places, and mattresses are going for anything between €150 - €2000. I really haven't a clue about how much I should be spending on one - although yes I know you spend a third of your life lying on one, so do you get the dearest you can afford?

Can I lie down a while and think about it?:D
    Beware of poor quality versions - I prefer the orthopaedic types plenty of support. The soft and cloudy types are apparently bad news for spinal support etc over time. Tip- rotate mattress every 6 months for a more lasting comfort and even wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Have my bed for 9 years and it is still as good as ever.
    I turn it every 2 months or so to stop it sagging,
    Its a Semi orthapedic Odearest,will be buying the same again when the time comes.
    Think it is worth spending a few bob,nothing worse than a bad bed.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Turn a new mattress at least every month for the first year, and regularly after that. And when you are changing the sheets, take them off the bed for the day and let the bed air.

And sleep well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is definitely a big difference between a cheap mattress and a more expensive one, but you don't necessarily get what you pay for. There is a lot of nonsense and marking up in the mattress business.

There are big questions in my mind about that memory foam and whether there is really any benefit to it. Also, words like 'orthapedic' in the description of a bed are essentially meaningless. It certainly doesn't have to anything to do with the branch of medicine with the same name. Insofar as it means anything, it seems to be a fancy word for 'hard' or 'firm'.

Obviously you should investigate all these things yourself.

Personally, I would go back to the place on the Harmonstown Road. He does a wide variety, won't try to sell you a garbage mattress and doesn't mind selling without a base. He can also make a bargain if he's in the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

That’s a difficult question, given that different people have different standards.

My approach is too quite simply look for the best quality product for the best value for money price. I then go and find the money if I believe the offer is exceptional value.

I found this thread on bargain alerts a while back and I now sleep on a king size memory foam mattress, which cost approx €250 to €300, including p&p, which was probably a bit more that I originally set out to pay. My feedback is entry no. 38.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=305080&page=2&highlight=%22memory+foam+mattress%22

Advertisement