Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths Proofs

Options
  • 09-06-2007 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Can anyone give me a list of the mandatory proofs for Paper 2 or a website with them? My notes for them have suddenly all gone missing. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

1. Perp. Distance from point to line
    2. Cosine rule
    3.Cos (A-B) and all the other trig proofs that follow on from that
    4.Equation of tangent to circle of centre (0,0) and radius r i.e. xx1+yy1=r^2
    4. Loads of trig stuff that I am too tired to explain...Cos2A...Sin2A.. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Circle: Tangent Theorem
    Line: Angle between lines
    Perpendicualr distance formula
    Trig: cos^2A + sin^2A = 1
    compound angle formula
    COsine rule
    Discrete maths: Difference equation formula

Line: Angle between lines

came up last year... I think I might just ignore it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

came up last year... I think I might just ignore it:D

you'd learn that in 5 minutes if you wanted to, just in case. it's probably the easiest proof on paper 2 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

chas_88 wrote:
    it's probably the easiest proof on paper 2 anyway.

Well, it is IN the the tables. Essentially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

nick23 wrote:
    Circle: Tangent Theorem

is that xx1 + yy1??? dont recognise the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

chas_88 wrote:
    you'd learn that in 5 minutes if you wanted to, just in case. it's probably the easiest proof on paper 2 anyway.

What about sin2A and cos 2A? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

No shortcuts with Honours Maths. There were no proofs in Paper1,meaning there should be plenty of them in paper 2(hopefully).

Do we need to be able to derive Maclarin Series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What about sin2A and cos 2A? :D

I don't even count those as proofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Do we need to be able to derive Maclarin Series?

That's not a proof, and you will have to if you do question 8.

I looked over the proofs last night, and honestly, they seem almost easier than the JC ones(talking partly relative to ability level at the time).

I don't understand how the line transformation proofs are considered "proofs" tbh....

Yeah exactly they are basically common sense! Take two parallel lines, translate them and they are parallel!:D

The proof given in texts and tests for proving that the line is mapped is like:
    Substitute the expressions for x and y in terms of x' and y' into the line equation.
    Substitute the expressions for x' and y' back to x and y.
    Therefore, a line transformation maps a line.

???

Yeah the book can be pretty vague! Its so frustrating when it jumps a line and doesn't state what it did!!AAAGGH:mad:

Well, it doesn't do that there, I'm just saying that substituting values in and then out again doesn't prove anything that wasn't already obvious.

I don't really have a problem with them jumping unnecessary lines tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Some transformations map lines to lines and others don't. So, it's a fairly significant thing to prove that all transformations of this particular form do map lines to lines, (and segments to segments, etc.)

I think a good teacher would have shown you other transformations that don't map lines to lines, so that you would appreciate the significance of what's being proved here.

Surely such a transformation would involve squared variables etc. ?

It's just kind of obvious that a linear transformation maps a line to a line...

And I do have a good teacher, I just haven't payed attention in class for about 6 months.

A transformation that maps a line to a curve might involve squared variables alright (or some other non-linear functions). I wasn't suggesting that transformations of the type I mentioned were on the syllsbus, just pointing out that what you're proving is significant, and that having a look at such transformations makes one realise this significance.

And why is it obvious that a linear transformation should map a line to a line? Is it just because someone decided to call it linear?

By the way, a linear transformation that is non-invertible might NOT map a line to a line. For example, the transformation x'=12x+16y, y'=9x+12y maps the line 3x+4y=6 onto the point (24, 18).
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

"compound angle formula"

what is that?

• Advertisement

Nehpets wrote:
    "compound angle formula"

what is that?

Probably meant to say "compound angle formulae" (or formulas).

The formulae for cos(A+B), sin(A+B), tan(A+B), cos(A-B), sin(A-B), tan(A-B) are often called "the compound angle formulae", (because the angles they talk about are made up of other angles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Oh cool, phew!

Advertisement