Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anyone know where I can get a 1080p HDTV cheap?

• 09-06-2007 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I have tried various websites looking for a cheap HDTV that can display
    1080p in Ireland but I cant seem to find any which cost under €1000.
    Anyone know of any sites selling a 1080p HDTV at the price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Even the budget 1080p models advertised on sale in Aldi are about 1700 , so I dont think you'll get a true 1080p TV for less than 1000 just yet , maybe in about 6 months.

Having said that , any LCD or Plasma will display a 1080p signal at the moment , just scaled down. ( Just thought Id throw that into the mix just in case its what you meant )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

mathias wrote:
    Even the budget 1080p models advertised on sale in Aldi are about 1700 , so I dont think you'll get a true 1080p TV for less than 1000 just yet , maybe in about 6 months.

Having said that , any LCD or Plasma will display a 1080p signal at the moment , just scaled down. ( Just thought Id throw that into the mix just in case its what you meant )

Yeah the cheapest there is at the moment in Currys is a 40" Samsung for just under €2000, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cashman

Is there much of a difference in 1080i and 1080p is it worth getting a higher resolution TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭cashman

Is there much of a difference in 1080i and 1080p is it worth getting a higher resolution TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

cashman wrote:

I think it is definetly worthwhile getting the 1080p, it is newer and the picture on them are really good compared to the 1080i. Thats my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭joxers25

Duffff-Man wrote:
    Yeah the cheapest there is at the moment in Currys is a 40" Samsung for just under €2000, I think.

If could stretch to it........

If you can get a tv delivered to an address in the north a 46" samsung 1080p http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1339742071.1181720631@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddleemfmlecflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=11&sm=0&tm=0&sku=506228&category_oid=-30633 is just 2,078.41 EUR with free delivery. Special Web Price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

In theory there should be no difference between 1080i and 1080p for the foreseeable future. The main exception to this rule is video gaming - if you plan for the TV to be used a lot with a modern console capable of 1080p then it would be worthwhile.

It is unlikely that any broadcast medium (sat, digital TV) will use 1080p in the next 20 years - 1080i/720p are the HD broadcast standards and a switch to 1080p is not even planned at present.

To understand why you need to remember that all movies (and most HD TV drama) are filmed at 24 frames per second. So when you digitize that, the best you can do is one new 1920x1080 frame every 1/24 of a second.

What 1080i does is split this frame into 2 fields (one with the even lines, one with the odd lines). If the TV/Panel has a "film mode" that works at 1080i then the TV restores the original 1920x1080 frame and displays this every 1/25 of a second.

The upshot of this is that a 1080i TV and a 1080p TV when showing a film both can display a full detail 1920x1080i frame every 1/24 of a second. The 1080p TV could display the same frame twice - but as it is the same frame you see no extra detail - it is the same (And don't get confused - LCD and plasma panels don't have a raster scan like CRTs did - so rate doubling ala 100hz Phillips TVs doesn't make the picture any more stable)

Technically there is another issue that 1/24 second (film) and 1/25 of a second (50hz TV - our standard) are very close (for 50hz systems) and a lot of film source material is sped up by 4% so that extra frames are not required - though 1080p will make no difference to this situation either so its a moot point in the 1080p/1080i discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

This 24fps is a major issue if your watching HD movies via 360 or PS3, it gives the off putting judder effect, i.e. slow scanning long shots on movies seems to jerk along, I know some people don't notice it but I do. It will be a major priority when I buy my next TV, which will be a while off since I just bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma a couple of weeks back.

Snake

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This 24fps is a major issue if your watching HD movies via 360 or PS3, it gives the off putting judder effect, i.e. slow scanning long shots on movies seems to jerk along, I know some people don't notice it but I do.
    yes, that is annoying but there's nothing out there that can solve this, i even notice this in 1080i on SkyHD

Re original poster's query, a month or so ago you could have got a Sony 55" 1080P RPG TV for as little as €1600 as they were selling them off as end of line and the quality eats anything even close in price from any other tv out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

the new sony D series is full 1080p

32" is about 1499

• Advertisement
Advertisement