Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messenger/courier info

Options
  • 09-06-2007 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hey hope this thread is in the right forum! I know there are alot of threads concerning bike messaging but none seem to answer my questions!

Ok so I knew people that used to be cycle couriers and I'm pretty familiar with the work involved but my main concern if I were to become a courier is that I wouldn't be great at directing myself around the city. I hear the fastest way to learn is to keep a pocket map and get out and do it but I was wondering if anyone had any informtion on any of the circuits or main streets couriers work on in Dublin? Or perhaps if anyone has any expierience? Will I be looking at being fired pretty quickly once the base controller realises I don't know anywhere or do they take it easy on you your first couple of days?

Any help appreciated!!!!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Helps to have a basic knowledge of the city, should know most of the main roads just from wandering about. Definitely get yourself a map, and if your at all unsure about where your going double check it first.Base controllers are fairly patient in my experience but i'm sure anybody will get pissed off if your constantly asking for basic directions.
    After a couple of weeks you'll know where all the regular offices you deal with are, you'll find 90% of calls are between places you are familiar with.
    Its a nice job, doesn't tend to be many openings in the summer though. Far less people willing to do it in winter moths for some reason:rolleyes: . And thats when you actually make decent money as well.
    Go for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Even if you know the city really well, street for street nearly, you'll still spend a week or two learning where the usual drops go to. Could be some obscure door between 2 building in an office on the top floor. Each regular place has its own name and it takes a while for you to be familiar with each place and not have to even think about where it is. Most cycle courriers generally work between Smithfield, IFSC, Stephens Green area, Baggot Street, Merrion Road as far out to Ballsbridge. Generally the base controllers will give you jobs that are bunched close together. No point making you cycle all the way across the city unless they had to.

Advertisement