Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(P2) 2006 Q.3 (b)

Options
  • 09-06-2007 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain the method to doing this?

I looked at the solutions and don't understand them really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

eh... subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Draw the diagram and use translations to construct the necessary equations.
    Bit tired now so I won't be able to go into the specifics but r will move to p by adding 2 to the x value.
    Since pr:pq=1:3. The x value of q can be determined by adding 3 times the difference to p. i.e 2+6=8. -> q=(8,0).
    Similarly for q to p the y value decreases by 9. Just subtract one third of this from p to move to r. i.e -9-3=-12. -> r=(0,-12).

Sorry about the lack of clarity.

sorry about my typing but the :p is supposed to be : p above.
    i blame the interweb...

Draw the diagram and use translations to construct the necessary equations.
    Bit tired now so I won't be able to go into the specifics but r will move to p by adding 2 to the x value.
    Since │pr│:│pq│=1:3. The x value of q can be determined by adding 3 times the difference to p. i.e 2+6=8. -> q=(8,0).
    Similarly for q to p the y value decreases by 9. Just subtract one third of this from p to move to r. i.e -9-3=-12. -> r=(0,-12).

Sorry about the lack of clarity.

Much better, anyone know how I get rid of the other two posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Edit, then select to delete em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

FOr this question i actually used the line bisecting formula. Put p=(x,0) and r=(0,y) then using the formula split it into the 1:3 ratio then equating the x bit to the x bit of p and the same for the y part i got x and y and thus the points. I know its not the on in the marking scheme but it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Have the points and equations.. I don't understand the moving as in "r will move to p by adding 2 to the x value."

FOr this question i actually used the line bisecting formula. Put p=(x,0) and r=(0,y) then using the formula split it into the 1:3 ratio then equating the x bit to the x bit of p and the same for the y part i got x and y and thus the points. I know its not the on in the marking scheme but it works.

Thank you! I was trying this earlier but must have done something wrong, just did it there and got it.

Will that always be an option of using that formula? I really don't like that other way.

Argh.... spent all day doing the line.. 5 questions for tomorrow :(

Yes the only problem with that way is making sure you have the ratio[H:k] and the points in the rite order.

That might have been the problem earlier! Is there anyway to know?

Like say it splits the line segment [ab] in 4:5 then point a is x1y1 and b is x2y2?

• Advertisement

Its easy enough if you draw the diagram. In our book it gives a little diagram of the division and thus from it its easy enough to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Also, you can think of it like a weighted mean.

The midpoint is the unweighted mean of the two points. If you want to get closer to point a than point b, you need more of a than b. So if the ratio is, for example, 3:1, and you want to be closer to a than to b, you'll need three times a's co-ordinates and one times b's co-ordinates, (all divided by 4 of course).

It's the same formula in vectors too, as you may have noticed.

Yeah I did vectors after I posted this :D I still like the formula though

Advertisement