Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extra memory

Options
  • 10-06-2007 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

hi all

ive about 10gb left on harddrive, would i be better buying an external harddrive or an internal one? and is it easy to install and internal one? ive put in ram before easily.. wheres the best place to buy it too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Hard drive internal is probably the best route though external is indeed the easiest path.

If going internal you have two options;
    1) Use it as a secondary drive and dump as much stuff onto it to free up space on the main HD.
    2) Use cloning software to duplicate everything on the old HD over to the new one so you can then remove the old HD and replace it with the faster/bigger HD.

I'm assuming this is an IDE system and you don't have SATA connections so this IDE Seasgate 400GB HD for €85 will offer plenty of storage capacity.

To install just set the jumper on the drive to CS {Cable Select} and also set any other IDE drive like a HD/DVD to cable select also and that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

8T8 wrote:
    Hard drive internal is probably the best route though external is indeed the easiest path.

If going internal you have two options;
    1) Use it as a secondary drive and dump as much stuff onto it to free up space on the main HD.
    2) Use cloning software to duplicate everything on the old HD over to the new one so you can then remove the old HD and replace it with the faster/bigger HD.

I'm assuming this is an IDE system and you don't have SATA connections so this IDE Seasgate 400GB HD for €85 will offer plenty of storage capacity.

To install just set the jumper on the drive to CS {Cable Select} and also set any other IDE drive like a HD/DVD to cable select also and that's all there is to it.

great thanks for that, sounds a little complicated but will give it a go anyhow.

Advertisement