Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux BIOS

• 10-06-2007 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hey, anyone here have any experiences with Linux BIOS?
    I was thinking of performing this "modification" as it promises to remove legacy bootstraping steps for DOS etc.
    Has it made a great change to boot times under FreeBSD and Windows XP?
    Any issues I should be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I've heard of it. I think there's a list of motherboards supported. I see there's another project called Open BIOS. Perhaps Linux BIOS is just a spin-off. Worth having a look. I think it's got something to do with EFI [another buzzword to confuse me]. We shouldn't be limited to four primary partitions or be living in DOS land anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Besides the small issue of potentially bricking your motherboard, nothing else I can think of! :D I was interested in Linux BIOS, but there's limited motherboard support for it so it was a non-starter for me. To find out if your board is supported you can check out the wiki: http://linuxbios.org/Supported_Motherboards or join the mailing list and post your board specs. I think it's not viable option for most people. Although you could develop and test your own BIOS, with help from the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Yeah, the lack of support for various motherboards, makes is a bit of a turnoff...
    It appears openBIOS is a similar project which relies on code from BSD and Sun operating systems.
    Thanks for the responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

EFI is an excuse to implement DRM, and also protects hardware vendors so that would be no interest for me:D
    I am not in my current position experienced enough to develop and test my own bios yet.
    I will need alot more C/C++ experience for that:), no problem now that school is finished for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Naikon wrote:
    EFI is an excuse to implement DRM, and also protects hardware vendors so that would be no interest for me:D
    I am not in my current position experienced enough to develop and test my own bios yet.
    I will need alot more C/C++ experience for that:), no problem now that school is finished for good.
    The Apple BIOS is EFI-based, isn't it? The project is probably focussing on more popular motherboards at the moment. If you desperate to try it, you could always aim to but one of the supported motherboards. You might to delve into assembly code as well for BIOS coding! In the same boat regarding C. Was working through a good book until the LC got too close for comfort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement