Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The sorry state of shopping in town

Options
  • 10-06-2007 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Will Galway ever have a decent Tesco? Instead of the current one, its so bad it makes aldi look upmarket. Ireland before the celtic tiger with the food thrown on the shelves, its not a nice experience, when compared to the 21st century Tesco in Maynooth, that features the new Dyson airblade hand dryer when you go to the customer loo. Are the city council holding hands with dunnes stores there is at least five branches if you count the new briarhill one opening this fall. Why is there no Harvey Normans, no Homebase, B&Q and Halfords. If Roches Stores didn't have the good sense to locate a shop here we would never have seen M&S or Debenhams. Either its backward, brown envelope or both, but Galway status as a decent shopping city has yet to be achieved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

There's a massive redevelopement planned for the Headford rd Shopping Centre, apparently five times larger than the existing one.BnQ are opening in Knocknacarragh, Harvey Norman is opening near the Fairgreen,M n S are looking to open a second shop at the revamped Headford rd centre. Then there's the possibility of an even larger centre being developed on 2 floors of the proposed Ceannt Station redevelopement.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

galwayrush wrote:
    There's a massive redevelopement planned for the Headford rd Shopping Centre, apparently five times larger than the existing one.BnQ are opening in Knocknacarragh, Harvey Norman is opening near the Fairgreen,M n S are looking to open a second shop at the revamped Headford rd centre. Then there's the possibility of an even larger centre being developed on 2 floors of the proposed Ceannt Station redevelopement.

Thats all very promising although I have heard about the shopping center over a year ago to date nothing seems to have happened. Its location on a busy roundabout is an example of bad planning as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The problem is economics, the entire population of Connacht is only slightly more than that of Cork, and it contains some of the poorest areas in the State. It doesn't make sense to build huge stores solely for the population of Galway, and the rest of Connacht isn't that attractive by comparison to other regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Still no excuse for the state of Tesco on the headford rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

mickd wrote:
    If you think tesco is bad you should try joyces

• Advertisement

mickd wrote:
    Thats all very promising although I have heard about the shopping center over a year ago to date nothing seems to have happened. Its location on a busy roundabout is an example of bad planning as well.
    The delay was caused by part of the plan involving a tunnel under one roundabout and an elevated toad coming off another roundabout entering the carpark which is to be located on top of the new shopping centre. They had to apply to the Roads Authority for their permission to proceed.

mickd wrote:
    No point spending money on it when it's going to be demolished.
    Rumour that Tesco are looking for a site, possibly on the Eastern side of the city for a second store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

elevated toad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

and with the new ring road starting in 2009...sure we'll be sorted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

mickd wrote:

What do you need a "Dyson airblade hand dryer when you go to the customer loo" for ?? :rolleyes:

I go there, buy my stuff and use the loo at home. It works fine for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

dannyd20: You mustn't be using it right ;)

We have Currys and PCWorld. Crap.
    Maplins, overpriced, but handy when you need a certain doohicky in a jiffy.
    M&S/Debenhams - toss.

elevated toad:D
    LMFAO.:eek: :D:D:D
    I reckon we'l see the Toad before the Road, just watch all the serial objectors line up.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Is Galway as bad as I'm thinking it probably is for clothes shopping? I keep putting off going but sometime soon I'm going to have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Matt - try Geraghtys, Deelys, Hanleys or Ryans in the city centre if you're looking for mens clothes (all local business', unlike River Island, Top Man, etc., none of whom cater to the "larger" man!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Or indeed the heterosexual, or people who expect the clothes to survive their first wear&wash.

Advertisement