Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which console should I get?

Options
  • 10-06-2007 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

PS3 or XBOX 360?

I just sold my PS2, have a credit note, and want to get a new console.

My thoughts:
    I'm not that interested in online play.

If I get a PS3 I'll have to wait for months to get PES, FIFA, GTA, GT......but if I get a 360 I can get PES6, FIFA07, Forza, etc.

PS3 is a lot more expensive...

What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

you should do whatever suits your needs and your budget tbh .

you can pick up a 360 with froza 2 and ghost recon for €409.99 in game and smyths and xtravision have good 360 bundle deals also for €399.99.

whereas the ps3's price will be in and around €670 with one game and the choice is not as good as the 360's but it has a blu-ray player and the wireless adaptor built into it already , unlike the 360 where these are expensive add on's ( HD-dvd not blu-ray for the 360).

the only thing going against the 360 at the moment is the reliability of the console. but just make sure you hold onto your receipt and if it develops a problem back to the shop you bought it from.

for the ps3 the high price tag and lack of titles may put you off but that choice is your's , for me i have both plus the wii and i'm mostly on the 360 but then i use xbox live alot.

whatever you decide shop around for your games as there are deals going in the bricks and mortor shops such as hmv , game , gamestop , xtravision etc.. and great deals to be had online on play-asia , play , vgp , sendit etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

An Xbox forum probably isn't the best place to ask that question... unless it's flamebait.

Try asking in the >>Games >>Games forum, though what Clover said is probably the most reasonable response you'll get. I'd suggest you should generally buy a console for the games you like, not the hardware. That is, of course, unless you really want the extra functionality provided by one over another (eg. blu-ray).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

moved from sexbox forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

moved from sexbox forum

Might want to move it from the Playstation forum too so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055105013

On topic. For me it's Xbox360. I don't care about High Def movies yet. I don't even have a HD TV so I didn't fancy paying a premium for something I might never use.
    At the moment I'm playing Command & Conquer 3 and Forza 2. Both are taking waaaay to much of my time at the moment. Brilliant games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Go for the xbox360, the ps3 is too expensive and I reckon there won't be too many games developed for it as it seems to be a failure sales wise

• Advertisement

Go for the xbox360, the ps3 is too expensive and I reckon there won't be too many games developed for it as it seems to be a failure sales wise

It has sold faster in Japan and in Europe than the Xbox 360 did. Not sure about North America, but what do they know anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

Xbox 360. The graphics(if you care) are practacally the same and who really cares about blu-ray. normal dvds dont work on it. the sensor thing for racing on the ps3 is crap, too sensative and most of the big titles on the ps3 are coming to the xbox anyway and the xbox is a whole lot cheaper but thats only my decision.

By the way if you get bored with the xbox you can get the wii as well, both consoles will cost less than the ps3

'Normal' DVDs do work on the Playstation 3. Issues with the gyroscopes sensitivity will no doubt be sorted as developers get a grip on the technology, which in itself is sound.

I'm not advocating the purchase of the PS3, but it's amazing some of the 'facts' people circulate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

'Normal' DVDs do work on the Playstation 3. Issues with the gyroscopes sensitivity will no doubt be sorted as developers get a grip on the technology, which in itself is sound.

I'm not advocating the purchase of the PS3, but it's amazing some of the 'facts' people circulate about it.
    Sorry thats just what i heard but still the ps3 is too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Whyyyyy would you sell the PS2 first of all, still some great games out for that and a huge catalogue of classics.

If you're trying to decide between the 360 and PS3, I'd say the 360, it's cheaper and has better games available for it (now). You can always get a PS3 later on aswell, when it has games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mate, ive got all 3 consoles and for me you need to get a 360 in your situation.

As you said you dont want to wait, and the 360 has loads of great game out right now. And the online play is better if you like online play.

No doubt the PS3 will be great eventually, but really it gets no love from me because my 360 and Wii keep me occupied. Im keeping my PS3 though as it has potential.

But for now, get a 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yep, get a 360 now and a Wii/PS3 when they have a few more essential games under their belt (or at least one, in the PS3's case...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In your shoes, I would have kept the PS2, you don't get much for them and there are still tons of good games for them, and as for a replacement go for the 360. As already said the library of software is simply better populated than the PS3, not to mention the now decent amount of preowned games available, SplinterCell DA for 17.99 in Gamestop, RR6 for 29.99, it just makes more sense, especially as most games will be multiformat and appearing in prety much the same form on bith PS3 and 360, just go for the cheaper option.
    And buy a Wii for gods sake, call yourself a gamer....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I have to say that i'm seriously considering getting myself a PS3 or a 360 in the next couple of months. I got myself a Wii recently, but i find i dont play it alot, as theres really only one game on it that i play regularly (Zelda).

Theres a decent PS3 deal on play.com. PS3, Motorstorm, Resistence and Genji for €700 delivered. But i think i'll get mine in America (either when i'm there, or when my Aunt next comes over here). It works out way, way cheaper getting it there. Nothing that really sticks out game wise for me yet though...bar Little Big Planet.

But i'd also consider the 360, as it already has some quality games, and some very good looking games coming out in the next year. Plus its getting Ace Combat 6 (its got online play!!!!!!!!) first (although probably not as exclusive), so that helps.

Its a tough choice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

Buy a 360 and wait for the PS3 to come down in price, or more games to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly, unless you want a Blu-Ray player, I don't think there's any reason to buy a PS3. There are no must-have games for it, and the best games available on the console are multi format. Final Fantasy XIII may make me change my mind, but aside from that there's nothing even on the horizon that interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

As a few people have already pretty much said. It comes down to one question really:

Do you want to pay €630+ for a good console that has only a few games now and will have really good games in the next 6 months to a year, or do you want to pay about €400 euro for a good console that has more good games available now?

On that point alone if you want to choose from good range of games for a cheaper price then the 360 is the one to buy at the moment.

But some other points:
    You may also want to play blu ray movies so factor that in if you want. I own both machines, they are both very good technically.
    The 360 has the larger catalogue of games obviously (a tad too many shooters though), but they will even out in the next year or so. The 360's online features are better ( a lot better) but they bloody better be considering you have to pay extra for them.
    The ps3 already has better backward compatibility than the 360 if that matters to you.
    Graphically, the first batch of ps3 games impressed me more than the 360's first batch after it was just released. Now it could be argued there that the 360 came out a time when developers were still making the majority of games for the last generation, so there were a lot of ports. A year later the bar had raised so they couldn't get away with it on the ps3 release. And don't look past the advantages of the 60 gig hard drive. I have to keep checking my 360 to see what I can delete.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly, unless you want a Blu-Ray player, I don't think there's any reason to buy a PS3. There are no must-have games for it, and the best games available on the console are multi format. Final Fantasy XIII may make me change my mind, but aside from that there's nothing even on the horizon that interests me.

After the mediocre FF12 you would be better off getting a 360 and waiting on the True successors to Final Fantasy, anmely Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. Square Enix haven't made a standout game since Uematsu left. DQ8 wasn't intrnally developed.

Advertisement