Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin Muppets

Options
  • 10-06-2007 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

I recently bought a 100 spindle of DVD's from Maplins.
    They were TDK, Verbatim so decent ones and I buy them all the time.

Tried out the first 20 DVD's and they allowed me to burn fine but when I tried the read the data of the disc I get an error at the same spot on 15 of the DVD's

Just a bad batch that have errors on them when you try to read them back.

Brought back the other 80 to exchange for another spindle and I got the most ididotic and condescending managers in their store (Blanch)

Basically they put something on a DVD and it worked fine (1 out of 80, great sample !!!) . Whats worse is one of the managers took a DVD home to test on his PC (Cant be store policy surely !!) Tried to explain that they burn fine but you then cant read off them but they basically said tough. Idiot manager even said once they burn ok then the work fine (obviously thinks if you back something up on DVD you never want to read it again)

Tried to make them see that there is no reason for me to ask to exchange if there was no problem but no joy even though the DVD's are not of "Merchantable" quality.

Manager and assistants were clowns and wondering where best to complain about them ?? Only €50 but on principle I dont want to let the clowns away with it.

Rant over, feel a little better now ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

This is common in Craplins unfortunatly, I've had numerous run-ins with muppet managers and I've learned my lesson.

Protest with your feet and shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

KTRIC wrote:
    Craplins

Wow - I see what you did there. Very clever. That's never been done before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I had the same experience. Never shopped there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You should try buying electronic components. Now that's an experience.

Dr. Seuss wrote:

Why thank you, I aim to please :rolleyes:

Let me guess, you work in Craplins ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wiggzie

Dr. Seuss wrote:

what's all this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - Fill out the Small Claims Court, pay the modest fee and then watch what happens. You'll get your money back and a lot of satisfaction.

Personally I wouldn't even buy batteries there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

KTRIC wrote:
    Why thank you, I aim to please :rolleyes:

Let me guess, you work in Craplins ?
    Nope - I just think you're gas! I bet you say "Halfrauds" too - that's another gem!
    You're funny. Can I hang out with you and your mates? You must have some craic!

Dr. Seuss wrote:
    Nope - I just think you're gas! I bet you say "Halfrauds" too - that's another gem!

I also say Sh!teworld (Bikeworld), I'll let you have that one for free ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

wardie wrote:
    I recently bought a 100 spindle of DVD's from Maplins.
    They were TDK, Verbatim so decent ones and I buy them all the time.
    Only €50 but on principle I dont want to let the clowns away with it.

Ouch. Buy online. Much cheaper.

I've bought piles of writeable DVDs from these guys
    http://www.irldvd.com/
    Haven't burnt one coaster. They're shipping (to me) has always been quick. I've ordered 3 seperate times and received the disks the next day. They're in Cork. I'm in Dublin.

And just to show I'm not biased plenty of people have recommended these guys in the Bargain Alerts section of Boards. http://svp.co.uk/

I don't work for either company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What brand is your dvd burner?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

It's an LG KdjaCL.

Tried the discs on another DVD Burner and got the same problem on 3 of the 5 I tested. Burnt on fine but then error when you try to read the data back.

You have to use the disc to see the error though !!

Normally get them online too but was stuck last week and needed them there and then. Haven't tried the crowd in the post above though, might give them a go.

For the sake of a few DVD's they have lost all my business and I will tell anyone I know not to use them too. (Not that this muppets care ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Dr. Seuss wrote:
    I'm sure they let you, but please keep you wocket in your pocket.

Not sure if it's easy to get to, but I've always found teh service in the Jervis St branch to be ok, you could try returning them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

As an update:

Sent them in a letter by registered post. Detailed what the problem was without slagging the off (was v hard..) and that they had 10 days to reply offering to replace the discs or I would proceed to small claims court.

Then got a letter back from the Maplins Support sentre in the UK. they basically just passed it to them telling them they had done "extensive" testing and found no fault. 5 minutes explaining it to a manager over there and he offered sincere apologies and new discs are being sent over.

Bottom line is the Maplins staff are idiots and dont even have the balls to deal with a proper complaint !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

someone reccomended going to the jervis street one., dont bother if you think there stupid in blanchardstown., not only are they thick but the security gaurd, a tall black man is the most ignorant person i have ever met, i had a load of trouble with a DVD player i had for the car from them and the way they go on is very unprofessional, took me ages to get the money back even though the items were faulty., theres also a so called manager there, i think hes from scotland and he is a complete gob****e aswell., very rude and unwilling to help, i dont like maplins much anymore.,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Never had any trouble with Maplins personally (expensive, yes, but good quality I find). Quite simple, they weren't of merchantable quality. Simple interperetation of the law means you're entitled to a refund. As suggested above, claim from the SCC and bask in the satisfaction. Then if you feel wronged and there's suitable alternatives, don't shop there again and tell everyone you know what happened.

I'd echo the buying online advice also. €50 for 100 DVD-Rs is scarily expensive these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I know those are decent brands in this case but am I the only one that thinks Maplins is mostly filled with pound shop quality novelty items? I am never ceased to be amazed by the rubbish they sell, and the mind bogglingly high prices for the 'decent' stuff. Stuff like computer components can actually be up to 250% more expensive then the likes of Komplett. To summarise really, I just hate that store so much. The one in Galway, at least, their staff - some of them - are alright.

I know you find the odd bargain here and there, but overall I would never buy anything expensive in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sorry to be jumping in here so late but given all the complaints about Maplin what would people's opinions be of the the likes of PC World?? Just wondering. I have never really bought many electronic accessories but I did buy a laptop from PC World. It's going fine and no complaints but it would be interesting to see where the likes of PC World fare against the dreaded Maplins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

I'm somewhat amazed at all those "experts" who shop in Maplins. With their superior knowledge they want answers from guys who *obviously* know far less that them. That is simple piss taking. So you think the shop sells crap DVDs yet you insist on buying that stuff there. Bravo.

They were selling at one time CDs labelled Swiss. Lovely bright red printing. I was buying a cake when this gob****e came along, in front of the sales bloke, and told me that the were probably crap and I should be buying another brand which were ten times better and much cheaper. I told this chap that I wanted my bright red CDs regardless of their alleged crap quality. He started argueing until I told him to F*ck off with himself.

Bottom line, if you don't like Maplins, PC World and Co. just go elsewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

PC World is so-so. The are plenty of trheads about poor service and issues enforcing warranty's. Their pricing can be off and shelf labelling is desperate but to be honest if you want something in a hurry they can be fine.

I bought an external HD there recently. Didn't want it to be too super-duper so I printed off the offerings from Komplett and went down and whilst some were higher priced others were (when delivery is taken into account) the same.

• Advertisement

PC World have atrocious staff but as a store to buy bits and pieces in they can have good special offers from time to time. I got a 7600GT cheaper there then on komplett, an x-fi for 70 euro, among other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

HavoK wrote:
    PC World have atrocious staff but as a store to buy bits and pieces in they can have good special offers from time to time. I got a 7600GT cheaper there then on komplett, an x-fi for 70 euro, among other things.

Those of us who purchase from Komplett will never see a salesperson. What is the big deal in whether the PC World/Maplins staff are atrocious? Just go in, look at the article/price and buy or walk out.

Heinrich wrote:
    Those of us who purchase from Komplett will never see a salesperson. What is the big deal in whether the PC World/Maplins staff are atrocious? Just go in, look at the article/price and buy or walk out.

Thats the thing. That's why I buy there, I don't care when the only interaction I have is with the till person, but what I do feel sorry for is the poor people that actually rely on them for sales assistance because they lack the knowledge. I asked some questions once, just to see exactly what they knew, and my blood was actually boiling over the outright lies they told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

HavoK wrote:
    Thats the thing. That's why I buy there, I don't care when the only interaction I have is with the till person, but what I do feel sorry for is the poor people that actually rely on them for sales assistance because they lack the knowledge. I asked some questions once, just to see exactly what they knew, and my blood was actually boiling over the outright lies they told me.

No to mention that this IS the consumer forum, where people come to share experiences of all aspects of consumer related matters.
    Of course, if you dont like, you can just go and buy elsewhere, but that kind of defeats the purpose of this forum in the first place, where we all share our opinions on such matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Those of us who purchase from Komplett will never see a salesperson. What is the big deal in whether the PC World/Maplins staff are atrocious?
    these people are paid to do a job, if they dont understand the product they are selling they shouldnt be selling it., not all of us are wizards when it comes to all this tech stuff and thats where a sales person is supposed to come in, hes supposed to be able to alswer any questions you might have.,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

The worst part is when both of their employees (PC and Maplin) buy online :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tokool

I don't know why but aproximately 50% of things I buy from maplins I have to take back within 2 days.

I recently bought a motherboard bundle from them, installed it on my computer and there was no power, and the box had bits missing including a manual.

I took it back and got a replacement. Installed that and just couldn't load XP. I kept gettnig random errors. I then checked the memory and looked to see if it was certified by the manual from an approved vendor - it was not!

Now I have given the computer to an IT shop to find out what the hell is wrong, but I am sure they will come back and say the motherboard is faulty.

I am sick of Maplin the are such a craplin, and their managers are all saplins. Once I get this sorted out I am never going back there again.

Amongst the other things which have failed include: wireless speakers which picked up more interference than sound. Microphones which you needed to shout in to pick up sound.....I have had enough.

From someone on the 'inside', tokool, I can only say one thing.

Caveat Emptor!!. Research is everything.

That's not to say that they (manuf) shouldn't've made sure of the interfaceability,

tokool wrote: »
    Amongst the other things which have failed include: wireless speakers which picked up more interference than sound. Microphones which you needed to shout in to pick up sound.....I have had enough.

Speakers : Should've bought Bose, B&O, M&K.....

Mics : Should've bought AKG, Neumann, Shure, AudioTechnica, Heil....

You can't expect gin to taste like champagne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

im so glad i found this thread. I bought dvds from maplins a year ago After six dvds , they would burn but not play. I thought it was me or the burner...now im thinking maybe it was the dvds.

Am going to buy online and see how that goes

Advertisement