Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Biome thread!

Options
  • 10-06-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Hey i just need to know some things about biomes.
    First of all im studying the desert biome.

Now for the characteristic question, is all i mention is distribution,climate,soil,animals and plants?

For the human activity question do you have to talk about any of what i mentioned above or do you go straight into permanent settlements, deforestation etc.

And i saw this other question which is like the development of a biome with refernce to a specific example. What do you say for that? is that the same as a characteristic question?

Btw ill be posting up essays to these in a while so i would GREATLY appreciate it if ye could read them and tell me if im talking about the right stuff.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I need another heading on human interferance
    I have:
    • Deforestation
    • Agriculture
    • Industry

any ideas of another one??

For characteristics, you can mention climate, location, flora, fauna, and soils... there may be 1 or 2 more but i am doing all of these

And for that 3rd question you asked about the development...my interpretation of that is that you discuss how the characteristics have adapted to the changing biome, eg animals being forced out of dublin due to urban sprawl (i think that is what they are looking for...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Right this is LimerickDudes, he can't upload it..no Word blahhhh.

How would I answer the questions:

"Illustrate the development of biomes, with reference to a specific example"

and

"Assess the global implications of the continued fellinf of tropical rainforests"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

"Assess the global implications of the continued fellinf of tropical rainforests

That question is a disgrace, it's not in the book, I'm certain. It came up in the mocks and it was a joke. They should just put charachteristics as the question, after all I thought they dont look to trick people out. They shoudl reward people for learning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Hey i just need to know some things about biomes.
    First of all im studying the desert biome.

Now for the characteristic question, is all i mention is distribution,climate,soil,animals and plants?

For the human activity question do you have to talk about any of what i mentioned above or do you go straight into permanent settlements, deforestation etc.

And i saw this other question which is like the development of a biome with refernce to a specific example. What do you say for that? is that the same as a characteristic question?

Btw ill be posting up essays to these in a while so i would GREATLY appreciate it if ye could read them and tell me if im talking about the right stuff.

Cheers!

Bit of an intro as to what biome you are studying, define a biome, and say how it was formed (shelter belt of mountains etc)
    Then launch into human activity. Mention throughout how it affects flora and fauna etc

• Advertisement

I looked at the syllabus, low and behold, students should study the impact of
    • early settlement and clearing of forests
    • the felling of tropical rain forests
    • intensive agricultural practices
    • industrial development

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

sternn wrote:
    I need another heading on human interferance
    I have:
    • Deforestation
    • Agriculture
    • Industry

any ideas of another one??

For characteristics, you can mention climate, location, flora, fauna, and soils... there may be 1 or 2 more but i am doing all of these

And for that 3rd question you asked about the development...my interpretation of that is that you discuss how the characteristics have adapted to the changing biome, eg animals being forced out of dublin due to urban sprawl (i think that is what they are looking for...)

Try settlement or irrigation

Ah yes, settlement...completely forgot about that! BUT if i mention that in deforestation, amn't i just going to be repeating myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Right this is LimerickDudes, he can't upload it..no Word blahhhh.

Cheers Corruptedmorals!!!!

can someone please comment on that and tell me if its ok?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

*bump*

• Advertisement
Advertisement