Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(HL) Perpendicular Distance Theorem

Options
  • 10-06-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I just read in the text and texts 5 book for the Perpendicular Distance proof and they give two combined methods. I personally think this is coming up/has a good chance and not sure do you have to know and write the two mothods for full marks or just one and write down the other as standard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

The two methods make up the same proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The proof is using two methods of finding the area of a triangle and equating them.

There's only one method of proving the theorum in the book.

(Surely you can see that by reading it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Aidan Roantree's Maths 1 book gives a different method of proving it actually. Involving using the Sine of an angle. It's alot shorter, and I presume it's just as valid, can't see any reason why it wouldn't be!

I'll write it up later if anyone wants it who doesn't have the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Yes, that would be good as it's way too long and annoying for me anyway. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Yes, that would be good as it's way too long and annoying for me anyway. Thanks.

Here you are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement