Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Last minute tips??

Options
  • 10-06-2007 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Right, the ol' test is tomorrow morning and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a tad nervous now that it's so near. I'm trying to divide up my day between driving practice and reading. I've one more lesson early tomorrow morning before the test.

Any last gasp advice??

Oh and how long does the oral section last for?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

just stay calm, remember that we live in ireland, you can continue to drive even if the worst happens, since you have been on the waiting list so long, you have plenty of practice, a sure bet to pass, let us know how you get on, and it will be a nice day tomorrow, wont rain so you will be grand :)

ps, not sure on the oral section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Be confident :) But not cocky. Take all your instructor's advice on board. Remember you've spent the last while picking up GOOD habits, so use them!

The oral section lasts approx 5 minutes in total! It was the first thing he did with me; brought me in and had me show my licence. Then pointed at about 6 or 8 different signs (half from each section, ie. hazards and.... the other type, lol) and had me tell him what they meant. Then asked me the speed limit on a motor way, and we went outside.
    Then he had me test the indicators and brake lights, and then pop the bonnet. He asked I think 3 different things, ie. brake fluid, oil, water for the wipers.

Then I went driving for about 20 minutes.

Last minute tip: REVERSE INTO YOUR PARKING SPACE BEFORE YOU GO INSIDE!!! :D And park in the easiest space you see when you're finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

how long does the oral section last for?
    About 5 minutes.

Good luck Necromomicon. Lets us know how it went. :)

timmywex wrote:
    you have plenty of practice, a sure bet to pass
    It depends on the quality of the practise. Lots of practise can mean lots of bad habits. I always think it's a bit ironic that the success rate is highest in those categories where the candidate is very unlikely to have their own vehicle (i.e. trucks and buses) and therefore have to rely entirely on the lessons for practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, the writing was on the wall from the start. I was coming out of the test centre and the junction was fairly busy, so before I moved off, I second-guessed myself and didn't think I could get out safely. Unfortunately, by that time I was too far over the stop line and nearly onto the road. I knew there and then I failed. To say my confidence was shaken after that is an understatement. Suddenly, all the routine things I've done a million and one times before started to go wrong; I went up onto the kerb reversing around the corner and pretty soon after that I went into 5th instead of 3rd because my hand was shaking so much.
    timmywex wrote:
    remember that we live in ireland, you can continue to drive even if the worst happens
    I wish dude, I wish. My parents are firm with that one. I guess they're right, seeing as how I was just declared unfit to pass my test. But the thought of having no independence for another several months is so heart wrenching.

But, I'm gonna remain philisophical. My college exams went swimmingly, which is more important, it's the summer and I've a holiday coming up at the end of the month, and by the time I have to take the test again I'll be on my second provisional so I know if I fail I can at least drive on my own.

Thanks anyway everyone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yeah, it sucks when that happens, knowing that you've failed, watching the instructor mark the paper or xda. Go and book your retest again immediately though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

For anyone else doing their test and reading this. Here's my tip.

Make sure you check the tax, insurance and NCT are all in date. Its very easy just to assume these are in date, especially if your driving someone elses car, your parents car for example.

Simple but you'd be surprised of how many people it catches out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

The best tip i ever got for learning to drive was from my brother...

'remember it's not a race to get it done'

I employed this in my test, relaxed tought about what i was doing and breezed it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i was cocky going into the test and passed :)

i even said i'd pass the the test and it was too easy before i sat it.

if you go in cocky, you are calmer and nerves don't come in to it as you have nothing to worry about. So the test becomes just a mere drive around town..

that's my theory anyway and it worked for me :)

you seem to put your failure down to nerves, so you must work on that, rather than your driving which is probably fine under normal circumstances.

it's important not to hype up the test and tell everyone when your test is.. it just puts unecessary pressure on yourself..

so my advice would be to go in with a 'whatever' attitude as difficult as that may sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was similar but more confident than cocky. I was convinced I was going to pass, despite a small mistake two minutes into it. I found the dummy test I took a week or so beforehand very good for getting me into the right frame of mind.
    Either way you need to believe and go for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

is_that_so wrote:
    I was convinced I was going to pass

yeah i think that's crucial. You must believe you have passed BEFORE you sit the test.

otherwise you're going to doubt yourself all through the test and let nerves creep in.

Should i have indicated earlier, should i have stayed back a bit more from the junction, did i slow down too quickly, did i see the examiner mark me for this, that.. all of this crap will be going around your head if you're nervous and don't believe in yourself.

You don't need that. So the best way to get rid of it is convince yourself that you've already passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was actually confident enough going in, I consider myself a competent driver in normal circumstances. I had a pre-test lesson beforehand as well and he said there's no reason I shouldn't pass if I drove like I had done during the lesson.

As I said though, I didn't deal well with the early set-back and let nerves creep in after that. My heart sank as I could see him tick his page out of the corner of my eye.

You live, you learn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sorry to hear you failed, man. It's very disheartening. Just gotta get back up and dust yourself off though.

Better luck next time man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hard luck Necromomicon. Apply again immediately - most people pass it second time. :)

Advertisement