Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

further calculus option

Options
  • 10-06-2007 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Can anyone tell me the last time a binomaial mclauren series was asked, because i cant find one in the papers? Also i cant find a example of when you have to use integration by parts twice in the past papers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cossyx

Im not sure about Maclaurin Series but integration by parts hasn't been up for a long time! It's a definate for tomorrow Id say!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Ah integration by parts is a lovely question. There was a tricky one in my mock paper though. It was integrate lnx dx

you have to have u= lnx and dv=1dx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

tomorrows paper is much more time consuming than paper 1 i think, so i might have to do a Prob question....... mmmmmm

Its going to be interesting!!

Does anyone know how to work out the general term from any MacLaurin series?
    Its wrecking my head.

Weathercheck, 6 is a nice question. Unless you're really good with standard deviation, based on previous years, 7 has been horrible imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

General term hurts my brain too

• Advertisement

I have a sheet from the teacher for learning of by heart of anything that can come up in general terms but its impossible to learn off by heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

yep it wrecks my head tooo

You decide whether its arithmetic or geometric

then use Un = a +(n-1)d

or Un = ar^n-1 (?)

Work out the top if its like 1,3,5,7
    then sub in......

then same for bottom and throw on the ! if you have too..

i'm not 100% with them but alright..

then if its + - + - multiply by (-1)^n+1

Ahhh.....maybe I had a block on it having not done sequences and series at the time. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

1996 and 1997 binomial maclauren was asked

carlowboy wrote:
    Ahhh.....maybe I had a block on it having not done sequences and series at the time. Thanks.

I haven't done s&s lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

How do people find general term hard?

You just look everywhere a term is changing in the series, be it a power, divisor or multiplier.

If it's 1,2,3,4.... then write n
    If it's 1,3,5,7.... then write 2n-1
    If it's 2,4,6,8.... then write 2n

If it alternates between 1 and -1 then multply it by either (-1)^n or (-1)^n+1 depending on if the first term is positive or negative.

easy, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

For the most part, it is relatively easy, but, there are some questions that I find myself just staring at for hours and just can't see what to do!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

we were actually never taught any of those general terms, im just gonna have to pray that they dont come up!
    what do ye think of inverse tan to get a valuation for pi coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Hopefully the pie valuation comes up, along with two step integration by parts and max/min. I am not even looking at the general term, don't have a clue about it. Not feeling confident about tomorrow at all.

I've just realised that by using tan^-1(x) + tan^-1(y) = tan^-1((x+y)/1-xy)) you get a very handy way of solving 6(c)(iii) from paper 1.....

3 days too late, damn....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I've just realised that by using tan^-1(x) + tan^-1(y) = tan^-1((x+y)/1-xy)) you get a very handy way of solving 6(c)(iii) from paper 1.....

...except for the inconvenient fact that that formula doesn't hold when xy=1.

The answer was pi/2 ;)

JC 2K3 wrote:
    The answer was pi/2 ;)
    Indeed it was, but it takes some fancy footwork to conclude that logically from the formula you quoted,
    (for example, you would need to exclude the possibility that it was -Pi/2.)

Much easier to just sub in any positive number you like (preferably an easy one).

How do you exclude the possibility of other values by subbing any number in?

For example, sub in 2 in place of x and you get:

arctan(1) + arctan(1) = pi/4 + pi/4 = pi/2
    OR
    3pi/4 + 3pi/4 = 3pi/2 (=-pi/2?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

JC 2K3 wrote:

That's what I did, I only hope i get the marks.

The problem is you're left with tan^-1(undefined), which i took to be pi/2 because tan(pi/2) is undefined. However I don't think it's mathematically sound, but maybe I'll get the marks.

• Advertisement

I don't see how it isn't mathematically sound.

Surely arctan(x/0) = pi/2 when x is not equal to zero....

I mean there are questions you can get on the LC where you get the slope of a line = (x/0) and it's perfectly acceptable to assume that the angle with the horizontal is pi/2 in that case...

JC 2K3 wrote:

OR

Because arctan(1) is not 3pi/4. It is uniquely defined as pi/4.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I don't see how it isn't mathematically sound.

Surely arctan(x/0) = pi/2 when x is not equal to zero....

I mean there are questions you can get on the LC where you get the slope of a line = (x/0) and it's perfectly acceptable to assume that the angle with the horizontal is pi/2 in that case...

arctan(x/0) is not pi/2. It's undefined. x/0 is undefined, so it can't have an arctan. arctan is a function on the real numbers.

(By the way, I'm not saying necessarily that you won't get the marks. Complete precision is often not demanded at LC.)

JC 2K3 wrote:

OR

...and by the way, I also forgot to mention that 3pi/2 isn't equal to -pi/2. (If it were, one could easily prove that all numbers are equal to each other.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

cossyx wrote:
    Im not sure about Maclaurin Series but integration by parts hasn't been up for a long time! It's a definate for tomorrow Id say!:o

It was asked in 2005..

JC 2K3 wrote:
    How do people find general term hard?

You just look everywhere a term is changing in the series, be it a power, divisor or multiplier.

If it's 1,2,3,4.... then write n
    If it's 1,3,5,7.... then write 2n-1
    If it's 2,4,6,8.... then write 2n

If it alternates between 1 and -1 then multply it by either (-1)^n or (-1)^n+1 depending on if the first term is positive or negative.

easy, no?

Not really!

1 - (1/2)(1/3) + (1/3)(1/3)^2 - (1/4)(1/3)^3 + (1/5)(1/3)^4 - (1/6)(1/3)^5 +....

Un= ((-1)^n+1 / n)(1/3)^n

Why is the 1/3 to the n? because it goes up once each time? Is that the same for why the first part is over n? (in bold) because it goes 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/5 1/6? and the -1^n+1 is because it varies from + to -? But why is it not just to the n since the powers go up one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

when dealing with questions like that only 'principal values' are used i.e.

-pi/2< x < pi/2 in rads, which is the only acceptable unit to be used here or -90<x<90 in degrees, but degrees aren't a proper unit for Calculus or Complex numbers.

Values outside this are not allowed.
    Otherwise we'd never know what to do eg sin(5pi/6) is the same as sin(pi/6) (1/2).

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Nehpets wrote:
    Not really!

1 - (1/2)(1/3) + (1/3)(1/3)^2 - (1/4)(1/3)^3 + (1/5)(1/3)^4 - (1/6)(1/3)^5 +....

Why is the 1/3 to the n? because it goes up once each time? Is that the same for why the first part is over n? (in bold) because it goes 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/5 1/6? and the -1^n+1 is because it varies from + to -? But why is it not just to the n since the powers go up one?

Should it be:
    Un= ((-1)^n+1 / n)(1/3)^(n-1)? (because otherwise we'd have (1)(1/3) - (1/2)(1/3)^2 +...

The thing is, you not only have to work out what the pattern is, in this case +,-,+,-,... is (-1)^n, but also where it starts. If you were to have:
    Un= ((-1)^n / n)(1/3)^(n-1)
    Then the sequence would be: -1 + (1/2)(1/3) -..., with n=1,2,3,...
    We have to make sure that it starts with an even power so that we end up with a +1, so we use n+1 (as n+1 is even when n=1). We could use n-1 instead, and the result would be the exact same.

Nehpets wrote:
    Not really!

Because (-1)^n = -1 and the first term is +1.

And rjt is right, it should be (1/3)^n-1.

What you should do if you find it difficult is examine every number/variable in every term like:

(1/1), (1/2), (1/3), (1/4).....
    (1/3)^0, (1/3)^1, (1/3)^2, (1/3)^3.....
    1, -1, 1, -1.....

Those are the three things that are changing in every term in that series.

So, the first one is just 1 over the corresponding number of the term, ie. n, so it's (1/n)

The second one is (1/3) to the power of one less than n, so it'd be (1/3)^n-1

The third one is just alternating 1 and -1. The first term is 1, so that's (-1)^2, and since n is 1 there, it's (-1)^n+1.

Multiply em all together and you get (1/n)((1/3)^n-1)(-1)^n+1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement