Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a bike for commutting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

In that price range? Sticking with the same shop, I'd get this http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=16562
    Hub gears are much lower maintenance and means you can change while stationary. A much more practical bike: panniers will be useful for carrying stuff, mudguards, roller brakes and theres a chain guard too to stop you mucking your trousers. Probably heavier but worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Trek will probably feel a bit sportier; you will want to add a rack (~€25-30) and mudguards (€15-20) to the Trek if you do go for that. I commuted on a Trek 7300 FX for many years and was very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Thanks for the advice lads. Really like the trek so just wanted to see if it was an ok bike.

Actually, is that a good price for it or are other shops cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Put this off for long enough. Finally bought this today.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=17876#details

870044.jpg

Picked up a helmet and pump. Looking for suggestions on a suitable lock.

I was also looking at those face masks with the air filters, any use?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd suggest getting a Kryptonite Evolution Mini -available in Cyclogical, and probably elsewhere.

The smaller length makes it harder to force open using car jacks (a fairly common way to break u-locks). The downside is the limited places you can lock it, but it'll work well with any bike racks, and fits nicely in your back pocket!

It's what I use every day, and I wouldn't use any other :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I have that LaPierre RCR100 bike too and I love it! It's not quite as shiny as that anymore :(

Edit: Do you know how heavy that Evolution Mini lock is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Glowing wrote: »
    I have that LaPierre RCR100 bike too and I love it! It's not quite as shiny as that anymore :(

Edit: Do you know how heavy that Evolution Mini lock is?

Not exactly, but I ride with it in my back pocket, so it's not that heavy (about 900g I think)

Advertisement