Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista high CPU usage

• 10-06-2007 5:45pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm experienceing very high CPU usage with Vista Ultimate.

Laptop Specs -
    AMD Turion 1.6GHz processor
    1258MB RAM
    ATi X700 graphics card

Attached is a screenshot of the machine idling for the 60 seconds or so it takes for the resource monitor to keep a track of stuff.

It idles at well over 30%, with spikes over 50% and long periods at 100%.

All drivers (Apart from the graphics card, which for some reason wont install properly) are up to date. The media playback is normal mp3's, so I have no idea why mfpmp.exe is taking up so much CPU.

Searched the web but it's bought up nothing.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What's the CPU usage like without Media Player?

(Also, do you have visualizations on when using it? Are you playing DRM-protected music?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Seems to be a lot better without WMP. Idle's around 3-5 (And most of that is the resource monitor itself)

The mp3's are vanilla mp3's, no DRM whatsoever. No visualisations either (On library view, and the 'Now Playing' tab was set to album art anyway)

I'll try out a different media player and report back.

Well going to a non-WMP media playback seems to have pretty much cured it.

No more mfpmp.exe and things seem a lot smoother (If not as snappy as I would like)

Any ideas on why WMP11 causes such a fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

WMP is pretty bloated - always has been. mfpmp is tied in closely with it and would be somewhat intensive (Constantly checking rights,etc.)... POOR MS C0DING LOLZ RABBLE RABBLE (*shrug* in other words. It seems to be the way for most people.) :)

WMP11 was fine on XP. It was my preferred media player cos 11 was so damn good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement