Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing BB connection with BT running Vista

Options
  • 10-06-2007 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I've just got a new pc with Vista installed and I'm having problems with my broadband connection. When I had XP I had the same difficulty - the service cuts out after maybe 20 mins use and resumes with a reboot. I solved the problem the last time by entering the settings as provided by BT but this isn't working with Vista. Any help welcome:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what modem ??

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm using the supplied:

Zyxel Prestige 623R-T1

advanced setup>wan>wan setup

change from connect on demand to nailed up and see if that fixes it

also go to main menu>maintenance>diagnostics>dsl diagnostics

what are the upstream and downstream stats and whats the package 1mbit or 2mbit

I had the nailed up-connection done.

The figures are:
    relative capacity occupation: 41%
    noise margin upstream: 18.0 db
    output power downstream: 19.0 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 14.0 db

relative capacity occupation: 29%
    noise margin downstream: 39.5 db
    output power upstream: 1.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 18.0 db

and I'm on the 3mb package - ty

Wow :eek: , that line must be nearly in the exchange itself . Its perfect. It would take 8mbit.

wan setup again , is ppp on passthrough ( normally no) but if yes the timeout is in the operating system on the pc

have you any alarms / sky boxes or display phones, can you disconnect all for a while and see if it improves things and then plug them into a filter and then in the socket until you find out which one causes a disconnect

• Advertisement

It's funny that you should be so impressed by the line stats. A few years ago it failed the Eircom suitability test believe it or not. How could that happen???
    Nice to know though...now just need that 8mbs service!

I can't find the ppl setting :confused:

I will try unplugging some stuff but there are no alarms or sky boxes involved. Will go over the setttings again, but they seem fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm getting some frequent drops with BT tonight also. It's a drop and reconnect though -- no need for reboot.

Haven't started investigating anything at this end yet but I don't usually have problems and haven't changed anything.

Running XP sp2, in Dublin 4.

This was not just tonight, but thanks for the reply. I will not reboot the next time it goes. I'll see if the connection re-establishes itself.

An interesting thing is that I don't loose the connection if I just let it be, it was running all night. Then after 10 mins checking mail etc it drops :(

I would get one of those €10 eircom wireless netopia modems in pcworld and see if that works instead.

if they insist you sign up give a random 8 digit account number beginning with a 4 and a phone number beginning 01701 :p

• Advertisement

Thanks, I was wondering about drivers. The Zyxel doesn't have Vista drivers so could that have something to do with it?

Nope, vista sees a functioning network port with a cable in it . If not its a faulty network port so you need a new network card maybe ....but try the modem first .

I've just noticed that the newwork connection is refusing the Dgateway setting of: 192,168.1.1 saying the setting is incorrect. That's on the IP Verson Four.
    The IP version Six wont let me do anything without...a network card.

Any recommendations?

192,168 is indeed wrong 192.168.1.1 would be correct .

but the zyxel should set this automatically on the pc so turn on obtain ip address automatically .

The comma was a typo - but automatic settings is now enabled :)

That could explain your disconnects too ...hopefully :)

Yep, it was the dns and the pc has been fine for hours now too. Thanks for the help :)

Advertisement