Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDF (FCA) service is it worth it ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Well, looking back over this thread and the comments.............

Original question, more or less, was "is RDF service worth it". The basic role of the RDF is to augment to PDF when it needs more men (this includes women !). But I suppose the real question I wanted answered was .... do the PDF want the RDF ? My assessment is that the PDF don't really put too much faith in the RDF, which is understandable, PDF are full time, RDF are part-time and the majority of RDF are not well trained, mainly beacause they don't bother to attend training ! Integration is upon us and PDF & RDF are thrown together. There are barriers to integration, on both sides. My own experience of integration is generally good. As someone said respect is earned. But respect has to be a two way thing. PDF can teach RDF so much, and a lot of us in the RDF are willing to learn ! But if there is tension this isn't going to work.

It's them and us, on both sides. Each side believes the other side is getting a better deal. I looks like both sides have exactly the same problems ! I was thinking of leaving RDF. But I think I will stay because RDF service is worth it !!!!!!!! And I believe that things between the RDF & PDF will get better, in time !!!!!! It will take brave and generous people on both sides to pull it off. To the PDF guys in this discussion I say give us the RDF a chance, We really want to be part of the DF's. I left school in the 80's, applied for the PDF, no recruitment, went to England for eight years working, came home and joined the FCA at 27 years old. But FCA wasn't 2nd best for me, then or now. I am serving my country. My dad served in the FCA and his dad served in the LDF. I am proud to carry on this tradition.

muletide wrote:
    RDF recruit camp - dont make me laugh go do a more intensive course and then compare

well, have you done one ?

testicle wrote:
    Colonel, you should have told us earlier, sir.

that hurts, so much !!!

They asked me if i wanted to be an officer, i refused, said i wanted to stay one of the lads, and this is the thanks.............my feelings..............the shame............would hate to be called Sir !:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll presume you've done one. Wasn't with my unit, they are anything but cushy !

Oh come on. If 'Muletide' is a serving (or ex'er) member of the PDF he'll be laughing as ass off at this.

RDF training is cushy as hell my friend. It doesn't, can't and never will compare to PDF recruit, NCO, Standard NCO'S (etc) course's.

I'm not mocking the RDF, but its a silly comparision trying to compare RDF & PDF training.

But to the orginal question. Regardless whats been said here by us serving PDF member's, yes the Reserve is well worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Mairt wrote:

But to the orginal question. Regardless whats been said here by us serving PDF member's, yes the Reserve is well worth a go.

who for: the individual or the state?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

IMO both the state and the individual benefit.

The Individual can benefit through the Military training, organisational skills, discipline and working as part of a team (no matter how small the role) Most employers would look favourably on someone having RDF service on their CV. In fact back in my day I remember some guys actully getting civvie jobs through the FCA...one of the Officers was a Factory Manager and recruitted for his civvie job by starting of with troops in his platoon (full time jobs...not nixers)

The State benefits from its Citizens donating their free time for the good of the country i.e. learning military skills, training others in Military skills and doing the States bidding when asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I'll presume you've done one. Wasn't with my unit, they are anything but cushy !

Even if the treatment dished out was comparable to what's experienced by PDF recruits, it can't last longer than a week. I can't remember anyone ever going home from a camp early because it was hard.

cushtac wrote:
    Even if the treatment dished out was comparable to what's experienced by PDF recruits, it can't last longer than a week. I can't remember anyone ever going home from a camp early because it was hard.

We've had quite a few in recent years on basic and pot nco courses

Courses are different, people have always dropped out of courses. How many have dropped out of a one-week camp because it was too hard?

cushtac wrote:
    Courses are different, people have always dropped out of courses. How many have dropped out of a one-week camp because it was too hard?

2 that i know of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

cushtac wrote:
    So the people who are volunteering their time freely should train alongside a bunch of scumbags? WTF?

As pointed out already, it's been tried (and it failed) before.

Group of scumbags + forced DF service = well disciplined scumbags ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

To any PDF members who served in the FCA/RDF ... did the training prepare you for well enough for PDF - or was it just back to square one when you started recruit training? I'm serving RDF now but hoping to join full-time, next time they're recruiting ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

ThatGuy wrote:
    To any PDF members who served in the FCA/RDF ... did the training prepare you for well enough for PDF - or was it just back to square one when you started recruit training? I'm serving RDF now but hoping to join full-time, next time they're recruiting ...

I found that it did. I had to do the whole recruit training anyway but that's the way it is. The only novelty for me was the GPMG and some of the more exotic drill movements.:D

ThatGuy wrote:
    As pointed out already, it's been tried (and it failed) before.

Group of scumbags + forced DF service = well disciplined scumbags ...

It wasn't me suggesting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

ThatGuy wrote:

It'll come clear to ya mate if/when ya get there.

You'll know how to march and to do Arms Drill and you'll pick out words of command easier than a complete beginner. Everything you think you know about Personal Administrtion in the Field...forget it.

But overall RDF training doesn't have a patch on PDF Recruit Training.
    Recruit Training is constant. Someone always in your face and you're always busy. There is ALWAYS someone watching your every move and ready to pounce on your mistakes.

Its great craic though...although somedays you'll wish you never joined you'll forget each bad experience as you get involved in the next and so on.

One day you'll be able to look back and laugh...but thats a long way away

Advertisement