Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Students...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's a trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

really? :(

how come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Students may be offered jobs.

bohsman wrote:
    Students may be offered jobs.

Exactly. And I think the quality of your CV will be the deciding factor on whether you are a successful applicant or not.

still worth a look into ?

• Advertisement

still worth a look into ?

Do you want a career in Trading? If yes, then I assume you are actively formulting plans to that end for when you leave college?

meh im open minded with out really having a clue tbh.

meh im open minded with out really having a clue tbh.

Ok - well just be wary. This looks like a recruiting drive and, ultimately, a big job interview. The poker will just be a minor diversion and a way of getting CVs of graduates or soon to be graduates through the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

pffft. why would a winning poker player want a job.

okay fair enough lol :)

• Advertisement

pffft. why would a winning poker player want a job.
    Because some people have dreams and aspirations. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Seeing as its in the SE, i pressume all students will have to be over 21. Strange choice of venue if thats the case

Flushdraw wrote:
    Seeing as its in the SE, i pressume all students will have to be over 21. Strange choice of venue if thats the case

I have no doubt that that has been taking into account. They are probably looking for those that are serious about joining a graduate program from late August / early september on. Reality is that most people completing Finals at the mo will be over 21 - and it would not surprise me if they are putting those completing an MA towards the top of the list.

And hey, if there is a promising applicant under 21 he can just skip the fcuking poker and go for an interview!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

almost certainly a recruitment drive of some sort.... i worked for a recruiting division of a large american company at one stage and this look so familiar :rolleyes:

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Because some people have dreams and aspirations. :)
    of making money for other people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

A friend of mine works for these guys and they are the best paying employers in ireland, think he started at 55-60K, which would be nice im sure. he said that each employee were asked to recommend one friend to be interviewed who were winning poker players, and it all seemed legit. I dont think its all that much of a scam, id treat it as a job interview whilst playing poker than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

why is everyone saying job interview as if its a bad thing?

A friend of mine works for these guys and they are the best paying employers in ireland, think he started at 55-60K, which would be nice im sure. he said that each employee were asked to recommend one friend to be interviewed who were winning poker players, and it all seemed legit. I dont think its all that much of a scam, id treat it as a job interview whilst playing poker than anything else.

did he have a tournie to play in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

did he have a tournie to play in?
    no he knew i played poker pretty often etc and approached me to go for an interview with them as i have a finance aspect to my course and am generally interested in the area. It was a straight to interview thing, no tournaments were ever mentioned.

gerry87 wrote:
    why is everyone saying job interview as if its a bad thing?

I'm just saying that it is a bad thing to get involved with if you have no interest in a career in trading. This is not just a poker tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    I'm just saying that it is a bad thing to get involved with if you have no interest in a career in trading. This is not just a poker tournament.
    oh, fair enough.

This sounds pretty cool, what are the chances they could get the SE to ignore the whole 21's thing for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

This tournement was brought up before, BCB discussed it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gerry87 wrote:

This sounds pretty cool, what are the chances they could get the SE to ignore the whole 21's thing for the night.

I'll go out on a limb and say none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

oddly i have an interview with another trading company in the next few days... me thinks i'll fire off a CV, worst case scenario i win 10k.

I got it from the trinity cards society ditpoker

(im not in trinity, im actually dit)

yea, i've heard about the poker thing and i figure its worth looking into (as lloyd says, only if you have some interest in trading). I've emailed them, if i hear back from them i'll post some info on here to let others know.

for people interested in trading, every finance person (in industry, or lecturer) says that these are the types of jobs they warn people off, they will use and abuse you for many months, if you come out the other side you can make serious change.

ditpoker wrote:
    for people interested in trading, every finance person (in industry, or lecturer) says that these are the types of jobs they warn people off, they will use and abuse you for many months, if you come out the other side you can make serious change.
    There was a poster that said you could start as high as 55 - 60k. All well and good - but you will fcuking earn that sort of money, and rightly so. You would have to say goodbye to a non - work social life (and the opportunity to play much poker!!) for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

1st I'd like to say, I dont see why this post was locked in the first place when it was in its proper place in the main poker forum... Its low content offering a job restricted to only qualfied applicants with sufficient backround experince in the subjects mentioned..... In effect its not a public tourney and deserves to be in the main poker section, (once again, im not another poster having a go at the mods, but just to be a little more lienent on the posts... It can be very interesting for other posters on this forum).
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    There was a poster that said you could start as high as 55 - 60k. All well and good - but you will fcuking earn that sort of money, and rightly so. You would have to say goodbye to a non - work social life (and the opportunity to play much poker!!) for quite some time.

I dont see why you would lose the oppotunity to say goodbye to poker?!?! Are the hours that long?? I think most would need a job to initially start off their poker bankroll... And this would mainly apply to students! Working with such a high income would support such a hobby imo.. maybe im wrong but id like to hear others opinions on this....

stevire wrote:
    Working with such a high income would support such a hobby imo..
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

jaysis... I'd be in there like swimwear!
    Whats the worst that can happen? Someone gets your CV and they ask you some questions accross a poker table? I'm not endorsing this or anything but when I was a student I'd have been nodding my head talking to them while stuffing as many nibbles into my mouth as I could fit and the rest in my pockets while they werent watching!!

DeV.

?

If you're a student starting off with poker as a hobby (poker is obviously gonna be your main priority, studies should be taken more seriously :D ) then your gonna need the money to start off a bankroll to help you!?!
    The same way with any other hobby you'll need money to support it, and it'll very rarely support itself until you get more experienced in ypur aquired hobby..... Maybe i'm just talking sh!te, but thats my honest opinion and before I started taking poker seriously I made sure I had a sufficient bankroll to back up my hobby (i.e avoid going broke!!).

My opinions may be different as poker was not widely available in my area and for those living in Dublin always had the chance to try it out with next to little money.. Whereas myself had to plan the trips to Dublin and ensure that I had enough money for the night, for a tourney, cash game, accomadation, or whatever...... Its not easy playing with scared money for the first few tourneys you enter, but the more you earn through a job the more you have to invest in your hobbies (in this case poker!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

If I was 21, did some form of business or maths in college and was going to be in the country i'd definitely play this. They can't force you to take a job with them and you get to play in a pretty lucrative freeroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Man if I was back home I would go to this in a flash.

stevire wrote:
    I dont see why you would lose the oppotunity to say goodbye to poker?!?! Are the hours that long?? I think most would need a job to initially start off their poker bankroll... And this would mainly apply to students! Working with such a high income would support such a hobby imo.. maybe im wrong but id like to hear others opinions on this....

I would assume that someone on a graduate program in a reputable trading firm - or someone starting out in a consultancy or professional services firm would be doing 60hr+ weeks as standard. Although I am open to correction on this point by anyone on this board who is doing something along those lines at the moment.

And, call me stupid if you like, but I would personally never show up at a job interview unless I wanted the job. I think it would be dishonest to fein interest in the position just to play in a poker tournament. The attitude of students taking all they can get is out there - and I understand that. But I don't believe that wasting the time of people is fair.

Just my opinion of course.

my understanding of the 'trading is a 60hr+ a week job' issue is this... it is a regular 9-5 job... but what happens is, your pay is very commission based, then this thought creeps in "if i get into work by 7am i can get a good deal done on the tokyo market just as its closing, then i'll do my normal 9-5 hours, then at 5, as the american markets open up i'll do an extra hour or 2 and see what deals i can pick up..." and in no time, your doing 7-7 , 60hr weeks.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    And, call me stupid if you like, but I would personally never show up at a job interview unless I wanted the job. I think it would be dishonest to fein interest in the position just to play in a poker tournament. The attitude of students taking all they can get is out there - and I understand that. But I don't believe that wasting the time of people is fair.

I see where your coming from but its up to them who they choose to play the tournament, and obviously all the players are gonna be eligible for a trading job in the firm.... after that i'm sure they'll get a few sucessful applicants to go on and get a job in the firm...

Some are obviously there solely for the tournament itself, which with a 10,000 prizepool and free entry you cant exactly blame them!

Its a win win situation :D they get employees, and the students get money!
    Im sure the company knows the risk but if there was 180 players and 10% of them went on to get a job im sure the company would see it as a success...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭HiCloy

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Ok - well just be wary. This looks like a recruiting drive and, ultimately, a big job interview. The poker will just be a minor diversion and a way of getting CVs of graduates or soon to be graduates through the door.

It is a recruitment drive. It says so on the ad. Not exactly well disguised. There will be SIG employees in these during the tournament to talk to you at the break etc. They can't force you to take a job!

Although I'm sure the reason it's in the sporting emporium is really so they can get you drunk enough to sign a contract :D

And trading is indeed 7am start. A friend of mine works there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

stevire wrote:
    Im sure the company knows the risk but if there was 180 players and 10% of them went on to get a job im sure the company would see it as a success...

Think you are slightly underestimating the value of an employee with this analysis!

If they get one good employee for €10,000, they would be absolutely delighted. That would be a deal of a century for them, to get a good person for such a potentially high-powered job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭colquhom

Hows it goin lads i'm a longtime lurker and this is my first post. I sent that e-mail to UCD pokersoc (I assume that's how it was mentioned here). I'm involved with the cards society in trinity. Basically, the point of it is obviously some sort of recruitment drive, but at the end of the day its a 10k freeroll with no strings attached. I mean, if u win, its not like your forced to work for them!

Think you are slightly underestimating the value of an employee with this analysis!

If they get one good employee for €10,000, they would be absolutely delighted. That would be a deal of a century for them, to get a good person for such a potentially high-powered job.

Really?? Seems a bit expensive just to employ one?!?! Would there not be people constantly applying for these jobs anyway? Im not gonna argue with you though, its just the way I would've thought it'd go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seems like a sweet deal, don't know why people are so against it. I'm third level, will graduate engineering next year, it's free, 10k prize pool, it's free, did I mention the 10k prize pool? :P
    Wonder how many runners it would get, and I won't be interested in the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ShamOCeallaigh

Hey,
    I went for an interview with these lads earlier in the year but the fact that i didn't play poker really lost me the interview. Didn't fancy working with them but a starting salary of €55k, it would be stupid not to even go to the interview.

They REALLY love poker. They've done this recruitment drive over in the states a bit as well. In the interview they asked questions about hands, how much would I bet etc. Playing at least 10 hours of poker a week with the other trainee traders seems to be required in your first year.

I don't really think they need mathsy people, just people with a feel for odds. If anyone is doing business etc in college, I'd go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Frinky

Hey,

They REALLY love poker. They've done this recruitment drive over in the states a bit as well. In the interview they asked questions about hands, how much would I bet etc. Playing at least 10 hours of poker a week with the other trainee traders seems to be required in your first year.

I don't really think they need mathsy people, just people with a feel for odds. If anyone is doing business etc in college, I'd go for it.

I don't agree with that at all, I have a HUGE poker background and I applied for that tournament there and I got an e-mail back saying

"I would like to thank you for your interest in SIG’s Poker Tournament. After careful consideration, we have decided to pursue other candidates who meet our needs more closely. Although your background and qualifications are impressive, we are unable to offer you a place in the tournament."

I am an engineer and I have a huge poker background and I had that all down on my CV!?

What the hell were they looking for?

I think they were just looking for a shed load of CV

Hey,
    I went for an interview with these lads earlier in the year but the fact that i didn't play poker really lost me the interview. Didn't fancy working with them but a starting salary of €55k, it would be stupid not to even go to the interview.

I would assume that might have been a somewhat important factor in the interview not going your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I think this is a really good idea and everyone who can should give it a shot. From Susq's side I think it's a bit gimmicky, maybe it is worth the shot though.

Ahh forgot to send in the CV, stupid me!

shoutman wrote:
    Ahh forgot to send in the CV, stupid me!

what you doing in college shout?

I do business studies, but with modules in business finance and quants. Business finance was my best subject this year actually... ah well.

I'm the same and they didnt get back to me :(

STUPID CV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement