Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are there different thickness's of plasterboard

Options
  • 10-06-2007 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Guys looking for a hand. I am getting my bathroom redone and there were two rows of tiles around the bath originally. Took off the tiles and there was mould underneath. So me decides to cut the palsterboard away and replace the section. Went to atlantic homecare and bought more plasterboard put it on and its not the same width thus leading to a step down between old and new. Are there different thickness's and if so what should i buy.
    Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

yup, you can generally get 12.5mm, but all the older plasterboard is 9.5mm. I had the same problem as yourself, but managed to get 9.5mm in woodies in small boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭iconnect

jdpl28 wrote:
    yup, you can generally get 12.5mm, but all the older plasterboard is 9.5mm. I had the same problem as yourself, but managed to get 9.5mm in woodies in small boards.

Just measured my new stuff and it's 9.5mm and the old stuff must be 12.5mm because the new stuff is recessed compared to the original.
    Where can i get the 12.5mm stuff and also is it ok to tile straight onto plasterboard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

you can get plasterboard in chadwicks/brookes or any building supliers. You can tile directly onto plasterboard, but probably better to skimcoat it first. Probably better to get someone elses advice on this though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'm not an expert but I tiled directly onto plasterboard over a bath 12 years ago and the jobs still perfect. Polybond the plasterboard a couple of times first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

jdpl28 wrote:

12mm is "standard" for walls
    9-10mm is stadard for ceilings. Ceilings don't take as much knocking as walls, and it's easier to slab over your head with the lighter board. Having said that, a good ceiling has a double layer of the lighter grade, with the joint s lapped, this stops a lot of cracks etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

like above I would have said it was easier to get 12.5mm
    if you need odd sizes and are going to be tiling anyway consider using WBP instead.
    I had to replace plasterboard behind a bath/shower but it wasnt a stud/partition wall it was one of those horrible cardboard sandwich things.
    In the end I made an internal wooden frame with a EBp exterior and it lines up perfectly with the remaining plasterboard.

Advertisement