Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hebe yellow leaves

Options
  • 10-06-2007 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've got a hebe shrub on which the leaves, starting from the bottom of stems, are going yellow and dropping off. Anyone know what the problem could be? I don't remember this happening in previous years. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Sounds like downy mildew, 8track
    Check for grey, white or purple fungus like growth on the lower face of the leaf for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

Sounds like downy mildew, 8track
    Check for grey, white or purple fungus like growth on the lower face of the leaf for me.

Thanks for the reply, Irish Gardener. I can't see any funguse or mildew on either side of leaves, they look fine. The yellow ones I handled came away very easily in my hand.

There is a foamy, saliva like substance on the leaves near the top of some of the stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

8track wrote:
    There is a foamy, saliva like substance on the leaves near the top of some of the stems.

Not much to worry about, thats just "Cuckoo spit" caused by the froghopper insect.
    8track wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, Irish Gardener. I can't see any funguse or mildew on either side of leaves, they look fine. The yellow ones I handled came away very easily in my hand.

Two other options are light restriction and a plant stresser such as drought or hunger.
    But I presume the rest of the plants in the garden which are in the same boat are fine.

Of course It can sometimes be hard to make out the fungus.
    From my experience of hebes and without actually seeing the plant, I would still say it is a mildew especially since it is from the bottom or the interior up.

If it is mildew and you want to battle it try the following....

Open up space around the plant by trimming back surrounding plants,to allow good air circulation.
    Give the plant a light shake, rake up and burn all fallen yellow leaves.
    Apply a garden fungicide for the control of the mildew such as Dithane 945
    If you are ever watering the plant, water from below, not on the leaves.
    If all else fails, replace the hebe with another plant, they were never my favourite anyway

Advertisement