Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waxing/shaving...

• 10-06-2007 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Well it is summer, so I'll be showing off some skin and I'm really self conscious about my hair. Normally, I just shave which as we all know is a pain in the a$$

But I'm thinking about getting them waxed ('what? only now you're getting it done?!' i know) but I have really really really sensitive skin so is it worth it? I have eczema as well. It's not too bad at the moment but I'm afraid it will come back after waxing. So what's the story? Should I just go ahead and get it done?

Oh, and can anyone recommend a cream that is good for after shaving (or waxing) for sensitive skin. Even after I shave I get irritated skin.

Finally, I'm tempted to do something about my thighs. I've been told to stay away from them as I have dark hair and it'll just grow back monstorous (is that a word?) but they are pretty hairy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

My skin is fairly sensitive as well and I thought that waxing would irritate my skin.I went to brazilia last week and got half of my body waxed and so far no irritation whatsoever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Maybe you could try an epilator, hair is pulled from the root and no chemicals etc used so no irratation apart from a few hours after you epilate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Shockin Stockin

I have been shaving, but last week I also went to Brazilia to get my "lady bits" waxed and I swear its the way forward. No irritation, no reaction, silky smooth!
    Just to mention they use hot wax which doesn't stick to the skin so won't irritate it as opposed to strip wax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I would definitely recommend waxing over shaving if you've sensitive skin. I have sensitive skin and shaving brings me out in a rash for quite a few hours after shaving, so it means my legs are only nice and smooth for about a day.
    I've never had any irrritation problems with waxing and it leaves your legs really smooth for weeks. I'm not sure about eczema though so you should ask a beautician. They also test your skin for irritation before waxing so that should show if it will affect you.

Only problem I've experienced with waxing is the pain! I was in a chemist's a few weeks ago and I spotted an anaesthetic cream for waxing but when I went back a couple of days ago it was gone.....has anyone heard of these? I've never seen one before and I'm beginning to think I might have dreamed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Finally, I'm tempted to do something about my thighs. I've been told to stay away from them as I have dark hair and it'll just grow back monstorous (is that a word?) but they are pretty hairy...

That's only a problem if you shave them. Waxing will actually make the hair thinner and less noticeable over time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Ah fantastic. Waxing is the way to go then. I just hope I don't cry during it! I could always use those home kits. Are they good?

And I'm thinking of getting an epilator, yeah. I may wait a couple of years until they get better ones out cos so far the reviews are that they're good but it doesn't catch all the hairs, it hurts, and it leaves quite a rash for the next day or so. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

No, I wouldn't recommend using a home kit. Certainly not to start with. Yes, ultimately it saves money, but waxing hurts (only for a moment, but it hurts) and it can be very difficult to make yourself pull the wax strip off quick enough. Plus you can't get the right angle to do it properly. Home waxing should really only be done by people with a bit of experience.

It's well worth paying the few bob for a professional to do it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Ah fantastic. Waxing is the way to go then. I just hope I don't cry during it! I could always use those home kits. Are they good?

And I'm thinking of getting an epilator, yeah. I may wait a couple of years until they get better ones out cos so far the reviews are that they're good but it doesn't catch all the hairs, it hurts, and it leaves quite a rash for the next day or so. :(

Well I use both an epilator and I wax and although you could use an epilator on your legs and along your knicker line there is no way you could do a brazilian with an epilator without reducing yourself to tears! I have a high tolerance for pain and I would suggest this is to far ;) Also my friend tried my epilator on a small patch on her lower leg (she usually shaves) and she found it very sore - if you haven't a high threshold for pain and have been shaving up this point I would not recommend using an epiliator.

Also as microkit pointed out only really experienced waxers should attempt home waxing - I've tried all types - and its a mess and very uncomfortable!

Best to go to a professional and watch how they pull of the strips if you plan in the future to do it yourself. You have to pull to against the direction of hair growth and there is a bit of a nack to it!

Advertisement